TIGHT TURNING

Swallowman

Featured Posts

I've never really thought about it but looking at the image above, are they "through hull holes" for the decorative rivets? the welder I assume has to fill in with weld from inside.

If one was knocked off then that could explain the person with water in his Hudson back cabin bilge as suggested in another thread. I was thinking it was a jest but perhaps it was not a jest but a real suggestion? Alan F, were you being serious?

Edited by mark99

I've never really thought about it but are they "through hull holes" for the decorative rivets? the welder I assume has to fill in with weld from inside.

You wound need to ask the experts, but I have never heard of any that involve putting a hole in the hull. I believe all are just attached from the outside.

If one was knocked off then that could explain the person with water in his Hudson back cabin bilge as suggested in another thread. I was thinking it was a jest but perhaps it was not a jest but a real suggestion? Alan F, were you being serious?

Errm.... No!

It might just be the way the light catches the metalwork which gives the impression a hole is there, where in fact its a rivet (or washer) welded on top of the hull.

I reckon you are right. I need to go and lie down.

There are two different shapes of "rivets" on SMH boats, the domed type (on stern and bow), and the flat top type (along the side) which might explain why they look different in the photo.

Anyway, only someone completely barking would drill holes in their boat in order to hold it together!

Out of genuine curiosity......

What was wrong with that one?

Somebody else made it!

More seriously, although it looks a good solid job the dimensions don't look quite right for that boat - although hard to be sure while it's in that pose.

Also the top edge gives the impression that it's square to the rudder post, rather than parallel with the bottom of the boat (when in the central position).

Tim

The old route master was a sight seeing come restaurant come Mobil drinking bus going around London on private functions. It would of been about 15 years ago. Oh and painted bright pinkish.

Darren

Darren, my bus is an RT - pre-dates the Routemaster by 20 years. RT's were designed as a tram replacement in the 1930's but Adolf put paid to them coming into service until 1940's.First Routemasters (trolleybus replacement) came in from 1958 until late 1960's and outlasted their intended replacement the awful DMS based on the Daimler Fleetline which was totally unsuited to London's operating conditions.

Which particular Mobil were they drinking? cheers.gif Mobil 1 has a particularly piquant aroma when added to petrol at around 0.5% - makes your engine smell like it's on "R"! (Castrol R for the uninitiated). Thanks for your interest in my bus, as you might guess, I just love talking about it - much more interesting than toilets!!! icecream.gif

There are two different shapes of "rivets" on SMH boats, the domed type (on stern and bow), and the flat top type (along the side) which might explain why they look different in the photo.

Which is rather odd, since real rivetted joshers (which the SMH version is presumably supposed to represent) have flush (countersunk) rivets on bow, sides and stern, with raised rivet heads only on the inside of the hull!

Which is rather odd, since real rivetted joshers (which the SMH version is presumably supposed to represent) have flush (countersunk) rivets on bow, sides and stern, with raised rivet heads only on the inside of the hull!

It was once explained to me why it is like that (presuming I've got it correct since not at the boat to check) but I can't remember what the reason was. I think it would be a mistake to think that these boats are some sort of replica josher - if they were, they would have a short back cabin and a large open hold, which would not sell well!

I think it would be a mistake to think that these boats are some sort of replica josher - if they were, they would have a short back cabin and a large open hold, which would not sell well!

A mistake probably helped along by Mr Hudsons continued references to "traditional" and "Josher" in his advertising and other promotional materials.

From here.

Asked 'What do you know about an S M Hudson boat?', most people initially think of the distinctive, traditional, Josher style and shape, in particular the bow and sheerline: but we believe the appeal goes much deeper.

OK, it uses words like "style" rather than "replica", but it doesn't say "distinctive, traditional, Josher style and shape, but please don't expect the rivets to look like a Josher might have had", does it?

In the C spec it states " 6 foot Josher Bow".

There is also "Josher pack" as an optional.

(Don't get me wrong, I've been to his open day and like his craft, had one on the cut for a week and also like the fact that he does the whole lot on site).

IMO they are a modern British classic.

Edited by mark99

A shame about the bow, in my view. Nothing like the real thing, I suspect that the advertising has turned quite a few heads. Several years ago I was tied at Cosgrove and was struggling to identify a handsome shell. Eventually I checked out the top hat, which was embossed with the Hudson logo. I was surprised....if the company is/was capable of such fine lines, I fail to understand why the modern caricature is being produced. A case of bullshit baffling brains, perhaps?

Cheers

Dave

• Greenie 1

A mistake probably helped along by Mr Hudsons continued references to "traditional" and "Josher" in his advertising and other promotional materials.

OK, it uses words like "style" rather than "replica", but it doesn't say "distinctive, traditional, Josher style and shape, but please don't expect the rivets to look like a Josher might have had", does it?

But that's exactly the point, it is to some degree reminiscent of an FMC Josher, as in it looks more like the general shape than a Clonecraft, but it certainly is not intended to be a replica. If it was a replica I wouldn't have bought it.

If you are taken in by the sales blurb without forming your own opinion as to whether or not you like the looks, you would be a bit stupid. It does have a distinctive bow, many people pass uninvited complement on the look of the boat. Of course traditionalist don't like it, but then if what they want is "Sickle" and its ilk, they are welcome to keep them. Anyway, haven't we done this one before - several times!

Anyway, haven't we done this one before - several times!

Is there a new forum rule that we can't replay one of the "standard" debates more than a set number of times?

If so, I've missed it, so what is that number please, and who is doing the counting? :lol:

I think it would be a mistake to think that these boats are some sort of replica josher - if they were, they would have a short back cabin and a large open hold, which would not sell well!

But if its not attempting to be some sort of replica josher, why does it need to be plastered with fake rivets (domed or flat)?

But if its not attempting to be some sort of replica josher, why does it need to be plastered with fake rivets (domed or flat)?

Because it looks nice. Obviously! Same as why we have a 4 colour paint scheme rather than the whole boat painted in red oxide or the like. Same as why we have a brass Francis lamp (fake) and nice Awoogah klaxon ( real) when the modern equivalents would be much cheaper and serve the same function. You can of course have an SMH boat without "rivets" if you find them so offensive, but we preferred the look of them and paid £800 for the pleasure! So to answer your question, it doesn't need to be. It is the customer's choice. Edited by nicknorman