TIGHT TURNING

Swallowman

Featured Posts

For Swallowmans eyes only.----The six wheeled trolley buses could only turn on full lock if the the road was cobbled so that the rear two axles with four wheels on could slip and slither around without scrubbing the tyres threadbare.

At Wangey road terminus in Chadwell Heath Essex where the 693's to Barking and the 695's to Bow terminated had these cobbles at the turning triangle's apex of Station road and Wangey road just by Drury and Beardows electrical and record shop and the Gaumont cinema.

The 695 trolley buses were slightly narrower than the 693, why I don't know, possibly a width restriction somewhere along the Romford or Mile end road somewhere or other.

Trolley buses were pretty fast vehicles and could accelerate very rapidly, so much so that we on bicycles discovered that it was a bit too dangerous to get a tow by hanging onto the platforms pole when the conductor wasn't looking. With an RT or Routemaster diesel buses getting a tow was dead easy as they seemed pretty sluggish, you could also more often than not overtake those on a bike too.

We always preferred to ride on the trolley bus as they were much faster and didn't have the always present faint musty smell of diesel fumes inside like the RT and RM'S had which made folk keep sneezing.

I was once stung on my thumb by a big bumble bee on the top deck of a trolley bus, which made it bleed like anything,sad.png

Edited by bizzard

A shame about the bow, in my view. Nothing like the real thing, I suspect that the advertising has turned quite a few heads. Several years ago I was tied at Cosgrove and was struggling to identify a handsome shell. Eventually I checked out the top hat, which was embossed with the Hudson logo. I was surprised....if the company is/was capable of such fine lines, I fail to understand why the modern caricature is being produced. A case of bullshit baffling brains, perhaps?

Cheers

Dave

Yes I'm afraid the bow was the dealbreaker for me. I really, at one time, wanted a Hudson but against a Fuller or Norton Canes the bow was just a bit too much for me.

I know it's a matter of personal taste and for some it may be the dealmaker.

I still think they are a classic though! on his open days, it's quite a visual treat.

Edited by mark99

I think they are a smart modern take on a trad style, the fit out didn't do it for us. Any one about to spend that amount of money would surely realise it was not meant to be an exact replica but more replicating the style. I don't believe they are trying to fool anyone and it would appear they make a good quality product.

I think they are a smart modern take on a trad style, the fit out didn't do it for us. Any one about to spend that amount of money would surely realise it was not meant to be an exact replica but more replicating the style. I don't believe they are trying to fool anyone and it would appear they make a good quality product.

His fit outs are solid and quality. But I agree that some fit outs look very old fashioned, 2D lighting for example looks like something out of the arc, 4 poster effect bed, dull kitchens and bathrooms. But that is just the standard offering, you can have what you like. I've noticed in the last couple of years most of his boats have a much more modern fit out, although it's surprising how many customers still want a really traditional one.

Yes I'm afraid the bow was the dealbreaker for me. I really, at one time, wanted a Hudson but against a Fuller or Norton Canes the bow was just a bit too much for me.

I know it's a matter of personal taste and for some it may be the dealmaker.

I still think they are a classic though! on his open days, it's quite a visual treat.

They are "production line" boats to some extent, but for us living in Scotland, having everything done in 1 place was a great advantage. Zero to fully finished boat in a year. By comparison NC and RF are much smaller operations and NC don't do fit outs. RF is a small operation with a long waiting list - we didn't want to wait 3 yrs for a boat - life is too short! Probably less of an issue if it's not your first boat, but for us it was.

What's all this tosh got to do with buses? :tired:

Blame Fincher, he started it! (Again!)

Edited by nicknorman

Trolley buses used to carry a great long bamboo pole with crutch at the top for when the pantograph (trolley) fell off the overhead electric catenary wires. This often happened at Ilford broadway crossroads where the 693 bus turned left for Barking and the 695 bus went straight on to Bow. Up on the catenary wires at this cross roads were Y points like points or turn outs on railway lines worked by a pointsman stationed all day at the points operating lever which was fixed to one of the catenery upright standards located right opposite Billy Sidebottoms newspaper stand and next to the Blackhorse pub. I think the pointsman often got bored or a bit sleepy for he often switched the catenary points the wrong way ie set them for a 693 to Barking and lo a catastrophe would occur as a 695 to Bow belted through. As the bus went straight on ahead the trolley would yank over to the left and attempt to travel to Barking minus its bus. Flash, bang, wallop and the trolley came off as its bus drifted to a stop outside Ilford police station. Then action stations!. Out came the bamboo pole brandished by the conductor who attempted to poke the trolley back up onto the overhead wires, sometimes he was successful and sometimes not. Sometimes the driver, a passenger or a copper from the nick had to assist him. The pole must have been about 20 ft long and was everso thick and heavy. Because the trolley buses ran on normal pneumatic road tyres the electric traction current had to be delivered to the bus via two overhead wires and a twin boom trolley, + and -,.unlike the tramcars which they replaced which only needed one overhead wire and a single boom trolley as the return current passed through their metal wheels which ran on the steel tracks set flush in the cobbles.

They also carried the dreaded bamboo pole for when the trolley came off.

Now was that interesting or was that interesting. smile.png

Well yes it was, but it reminded me of how old I am as we too had trolley buses running in and around Middlesbrough and I remember seeing the pole you refer to in use.

I seem to recall a junction in or around Middlesbrough where the pantograph had to be manually changed over to a different set of wires so the bus could proceed....but my memory is a bit hazy as to exactly where it was.

Somewhere around North Ormesby I think which is where my Gran lived. (the trolley bus routes are in green)

800px-Middlesbrough_trolleybus_routes.jp

You can just make out one of those poles to the rear of the first bus in this picture (source unknown)

trolley%20north%20ormes.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

What's all this tosh got to do with buses? fatigue.gif

My favorite bus was the AEC Regal that we gave at Eastbourne Buses. Just loved driving that in service when we ran out of modern serviceable buses.

Trolley buses used to carry a great long bamboo pole with crutch at the top for when the pantograph (trolley) fell off the overhead electric catenary wires. This often happened at Ilford broadway crossroads where the 693 bus turned left for Barking and the 695 bus went straight on to Bow. Up on the catenary wires at this cross roads were Y points like points or turn outs on railway lines worked by a pointsman stationed all day at the points operating lever which was fixed to one of the catenery upright standards located right opposite Billy Sidebottoms newspaper stand and next to the Blackhorse pub. I think the pointsman often got bored or a bit sleepy for he often switched the catenary points the wrong way ie set them for a 693 to Barking and lo a catastrophe would occur as a 695 to Bow belted through. As the bus went straight on ahead the trolley would yank over to the left and attempt to travel to Barking minus its bus. Flash, bang, wallop and the trolley came off as its bus drifted to a stop outside Ilford police station. Then action stations!. Out came the bamboo pole brandished by the conductor who attempted to poke the trolley back up onto the overhead wires, sometimes he was successful and sometimes not. Sometimes the driver, a passenger or a copper from the nick had to assist him. The pole must have been about 20 ft long and was everso thick and heavy. Because the trolley buses ran on normal pneumatic road tyres the electric traction current had to be delivered to the bus via two overhead wires and a twin boom trolley, + and -,.unlike the tramcars which they replaced which only needed one overhead wire and a single boom trolley as the return current passed through their metal wheels which ran on the steel tracks set flush in the cobbles.

Now was that interesting or was that interesting. smile.png[/quote. ]

Wonderful. Took SWMBO to Crich Tram Museum for her birthday treat. I really enjoyed it.

Well yes it was, but it reminded me of how old I am as we too had trolley buses running in and around Middlesbrough and I remember seeing the pole you refer to in use.

I seem to recall a junction in or around Middlesbrough where the pantograph had to be manually changed over to a different set of wires so the bus could proceed....but my memory is a bit hazy as to exactly where it was.

Somewhere around North Ormesby I think which is where my Gran lived. (the trolley bus routes are in green)

800px-Middlesbrough_trolleybus_routes.jp

You can just make out one of those poles to the rear of the first bus in this picture (source unknown)

trolley%20north%20ormes.jpg

Strange, there doesn't appear to be any overhead wires, so I wonder why the poles been got out. The diesel bus behind looks like it might be a Guy.

Incidentally the town of Reading was one of the last if not the last town to run trolley buses.

Strange, there doesn't appear to be any overhead wires, so I wonder why the poles been got out. The diesel bus behind looks like it might be a Guy.

Incidentally the town of Reading was one of the last if not the last town to run trolley buses.

Maybe they were imaginary trolley buses???

Dredging up some local knowledge and googling about for some more pictures - this one is taken on the same road in North Ormesby and clearly shows the power lines so I'm not sure why they don't show in the first picture I posted.

5067617180_8b3f326df2_z.jpg

Yeahhh - that is interesting! clapping.gif

I am a bit too young to remember London's trolleybuses as we lived outside the Central area where they were used and very rarely ventured into town.

We seem to have three treads in one here:

My original question which has been answered more than adequately for which thanks to all. cheers.gif

All about Joshers and rudders. captain.gif

All about buses and trolleybuses. icecream.gif

It's what makes this forum so good - anyone can contribute lots of useful stuff. I just wish I was on the cut a bit more often and could meet some of you. Having only a share in a boat because SWMBO isn't that keen is a bit of a bummer really.

Edited by Swallowman

My favorite bus was the AEC Regal that we gave at Eastbourne Buses. Just loved driving that in service when we ran out of modern serviceable buses.

Now was that interesting or was that interesting. smile.png[/quote. ]

Wonderful. Took SWMBO to Crich Tram Museum for her birthday treat. I really enjoyed it.

Brilliant place, I've been there. They have a (Spaceship bogie) Liverpool Corporation tram there one of which in 1956 which was the last year that trams ran in Liverpool my grandad as a kid got special tickets to take me on one of the last trams to run. It was a Spaceship bogie wheeled job No 5A Smithtown Rd to Pierhead. The bus and tram spotters of the time nicknamed them Spaceships which became widely known in Liverpool. On certain routes they also used simple 4 wheelers too.

I know its now way way smiley_offtopic.gif but a few working trolly buses here:

http://www.eatm.org.uk/index.html

20179_1.jpg

Ah, yes that trolley bus is the same as the 693 east London and Ilford district buses. I think I can just make out the edge of the second rear axles wheel mudguard behind that old Austin. For they had two axles at the rear.

Dredging up some local knowledge and googling about for some more pictures - this one is taken on the same road in North Ormesby and clearly shows the power lines so I'm not sure why they don't show in the first picture I posted.

5067617180_8b3f326df2_z.jpg

That's better.

Did you have a struggle with the pole poking the trolley up.

tongue.png

I got sucked into reading all about our old trolley buses yesterday and even managed to locate a vid. on You Tube.

I can readily recognise many of the areas filmed (particularly where the depot once stood) and I'd forgotten that very characteristic noise they made.

Edited by The Dog House

tongue.png

I got sucked into reading all about our old trolley buses yesterday and even managed to locate a vid. on You Tube.

I can readily recognise many of the areas filmed (particularly where the depot once stood) and I'd forgotten that very characteristic noise they made.

Nice Martin but I'll have to watch it after I've topped up my internet data dongle I've only got about half a Gorillabite left.