'Extra moorings needed' on London waterways, says assembly

WJM

Featured Posts

They could put a dozen or so in the marina on the Grosvenor Canal for a start, if they made the bridge over the lock back into a swing bridge....

I also know of a few old canal loading basins between Bulls Bridge and Uxbridge that could possibly be turned into small offline mooring facilities without *too* much faffing about.

More moorings will just lead to more boats being attracted onto the London canals.

It's hard to imagine a better argument for limiting the number of boats allowed onto the London canals. We need a 'one out, one in' queuing system. That'll sort out the problem far more effectively.

It could be funded by a daily 'London Waterways' cruising levy, charged to anyone without a London home mooring.

ninja.gif

MtB

Is there no way CART can limit the amount of boats that are allowed onto there waters??

Darren

As one of their concerns actually seems to be that overall licence numbers have actually ceased to rise, (in fact they have fallen slightly), I can't imagine them wanting to do that, can you?

I don't think you actually mean what you have asked though.

If you, for example, cruise around the Wyrley & Essington canal, even in mid-August, you may go two days, and not pass more than about one boat a day actually moving, and really hardly any at all even moored up. Most of the system is still anything but heavily over-crowded.

So I suspect what you really mean is

"Is there no way CART can limit the amount of boats that are allowed onto the most popular parts of their waters??"

Based on current legislation, the answer to that is surely simply "No"?

Yep, they priced me off back in `89, now I can afford a boat again I spend my time in Europe where I don`t get treated like something nasty the dog did whilst being ripped off. How about not being allowed inside the M25 unless you can prove that you have enough money to support yourself or that you are employed to service those who have residency permits? Celebrate the rich, that's what Boris says.

Some of the conclusions seem sensible to me. Latterly the consultative approach of the recently appointed manager and ranger is a good thing. Getting CRT to create with council support more water and service points must be a good thing. Putting rings in some of the concreted tow path again is a good thing. Discussing that there needs to be some kind of control on the number of boats without a home mooring within inner London waterways is I accept contentious but perhaps is a discussion that should be happening. I don't have the answer but suspect we will need to find one soon.

• Greenie 2

Some of the conclusions seem sensible to me. Latterly the consultative approach of the recently appointed manager and ranger is a good thing. Getting CRT to create with council support more water and service points must be a good thing. Putting rings in some of the concreted tow path again is a good thing. Discussing that there needs to be some kind of control on the number of boats without a home mooring within inner London waterways is I accept contentious but perhaps is a discussion that should be happening. I don't have the answer but suspect we will need to find one soon.

Is there no way CART can limit the amount of boats that are allowed onto there waters??

Darren

I've cycled along the Regents canal towpath quite a bit recently, and have been amazed at the number of boats with out of date licences or no licence displayed, approximately 25% of the boats I saw .If CaRT were to deal with these boats more effectively that might free up a few mooring spots.

I've cycled along the Regents canal towpath quite a bit recently, and have been amazed at the number of boats with out of date licences or no licence displayed, approximately 25% of the boats I saw .If CaRT were to deal with these boats more effectively that might free up a few mooring spots.

Please don't make the rookie mistake of assuming a boat failing to display a current licence is actually unlicensed.

Lots of boaters including a few on here take perverse pleasure in buying a licence but refusing to display it. Some do it specifically to wind up people who like to note which boats are not licensed and report them to CRT. Others say it is between them and CRT whether they buy a licence and none of your business.

I display mine (for the record). Pointless causing CRT unnecessary work checking by boats IMO

MtB

How about a boating equivalent of the London Congestion Charge?

An additional daily licence charge to cruise the Regents Canal (for example), with exemptions for people with a home mooring inside the charging zone.

This would encourage people passing through to hurry up and be a heavier drain on the finances of the CMers.

MtB

Please don't make the rookie mistake of assuming a boat failing to display a current licence is actually unlicensed.

Lots of boaters including a few on here take perverse pleasure in buying a licence but refusing to display it. Some do it specifically to wind up people who like to note which boats are not licensed and report them to CRT. Others say it is between them and CRT whether they buy a licence and none of your business.

I display mine (for the record). Pointless causing CRT unnecessary work checking by boats IMO

MtB

An additional daily licence charge to cruise the Regents Canal (for example), with exemptions for people with a home mooring inside the charging zone.

This would encourage people passing through to hurry up and be a heavier drain on the finances of the CMers.

MtB

But also exempt if you have a booking for Canalway Cavalcade etc perhaps?

What Mike says, license compliance is very high in London, new boaters (especially in the central area) are monitored on a daily basis. Don't assume because there is no license displayed it hasn't been paid. We've had sticky beaks visiting boaters noting down boat index numbers on our moorings, which really annoyed me, especially when they marked down my friends boat - I was the one who'd paid the license on that one!

What Mike says, license compliance is very high in London, new boaters (especially in the central area) are monitored on a daily basis. Don't assume because there is no license displayed it hasn't been paid. We've had sticky beaks visiting boaters noting down boat index numbers on our moorings, which really annoyed me, especially when they marked down my friends boat - I was the one who'd paid the license on that one!

Granted I'm also guilty of not displaying a licence due to logistical reasons like boat on mooring licence at home and me abroard and then getting enougth brain cell to remember to collect it and display it. Were these stick beaks official or unofficial? And I assume you had a reason to not display the licence?

Granted I'm also guilty of not displaying a licence due to logistical reasons like boat on mooring licence at home and me abroard and then getting enougth brain cell to remember to collect it and display it. Were these stick beaks official or unofficial? And I assume you had a reason to not display the licence?

They were a visiting cruising boat, not from CRT and the license had not been received - we can't receive post here, which complicates things. None of their business, anyway and why bother, because we see the license checkers on a weekly basis here.

MtB

I like it!

Am I alone in saying I would not want to live in London if I were given a brand new fully spec'd Hudson 70 footer & a free mooring with a living allowance so I would not have to work anymore?

I know, all those theatres, music venues, museums and cultural events. It is just a living hell down here, I don't know how we stand it!!!!

Am I alone in saying I would not want to live in London if I were given a brand new fully spec'd Hudson 70 footer & a free mooring with a living allowance so I would not have to work anymore?

If it had to be a Hudson, I'd probably agree with you.

On the other hand, if it were a nice looking boat......... laugh.png

Edited by alan_fincher

I like it!

I know, all those theatres, music venues, museums and cultural events. It is just a living hell down here, I don't know how we stand it!!!!

You'd think there was no culture outside the M25 judge.gif

It's all the rushing and crowding that I detest about London .... I have to travel to Canary Wharf every day and just watching people cramming themselves into tubes depresses me - it is just so degrading to treat yourself like that... and they say we are civilised

You'd think there was no culture outside the M25 judge.gif

It's all the rushing and crowding that I detest about London .... I have to travel to Canary Wharf every day and just watching people cramming themselves into tubes depresses me - it is just so degrading to treat yourself like that... and they say we are civilised

That den of greed!, it is much nicer in the wild west!