Recylcling

Sus Davy

Featured Posts

Sorry if this is an obvious answer, but we are new to this!

Are there recyling points at pump out / Elsan / waste disposal points?

Or do we need to take it to a recycling centre?

Thanks

There are at some not all by any means.

Are there recyling points at pump out / Elsan / waste disposal points? Very few and far between

Or do we need to take it to a recycling centre? Yes

Thanks

I have heard a rumour that that recycling bins etc will be at more points in the future but believe it when you see them. wink.png

Thanks

It all depends upon what you wish to recycle . . . . .

Some facilities have recycling, but not all, and certainly not sufficient of them. I'll often use recycling facilities of pubs (for glass) and offices (for paper)

There is at most of the rubbish points.

This very much dependant on the area.

Around our way I can't think of one, it all goes in one big bin at all our local points.

This is one of the issues we raised with Cathy Rogers when she joined us for a day's "boating with a boater". It's very frustrating that there are so few recycling facilities on the network - plastic recycling is particularly scarce.

We tend to use supermarket recycling facilities, which isn't always a practical solution unless you keep a car with you.

Thanks

Probably easier to take the recycling to a nearby relatives house and put it in their household recycling. Especially useful if you have a sister that's quite specific about recycling and will sort it for you!

I stand corrected, most the rubbish points I have been past have them!

Hi

I take it you dont travel much then? Very few countrywide have them. There were a nice set of different colour coded ones at Thrupp for a short time but the wallies who supposedly emptied the main rubbish very often didnt turn up so the bin overflowed and peeps put their rubbish in the recycling bins so they were removed.

Chuck it all in the proper rubbish and have done with it.

Tim

We generally take our bottles and plastic to any large supermarket we can find near the cut.

The one glaring omission on the system is battery and oil collection. Lets face it, most of us do our own oil changes, and batteries can be a nightmare to get rid off because of their weight.

It makes me sad when I see batteries left at normal boater disposal points. It's just another nail to be hammered into the boating community.

Some boatyards will except oil, but not all. It cost them to dispose of it. I thought that there was a value in waste oil. Anyone know anything about that?

Bob

We generally take our bottles and plastic to any large supermarket we can find near the cut.

The one glaring omission on the system is battery and oil collection. Lets face it, most of us do our own oil changes, and batteries can be a nightmare to get rid off because of their weight.

It makes me sad when I see batteries left at normal boater disposal points. It's just another nail to be hammered into the boating community.

Some boatyards will except oil, but not all. It cost them to dispose of it. I thought that there was a value in waste oil. Anyone know anything about that?

Bob

There is certainly a value to old batteries, if you are a boater with ready access to a car it can be worth collecting them up and weighing them in, especially if there is a few.

There is a list on the NB No Problem website that is quote good.

http://www.noproblem.org.uk/blog/links/recycling.htm

Nick

I wonder how up to date that is though?

eg It refers to oil collection at Pollington lock and I've never noticed one and we boat/walk past it regularly, I could have missed it of course.

Plus a lot of municipal/public/supermarket ones have gone as local authorities have expanded their domestic re-cycling collections and arson attacks on paper/carboard collection skips were not uncommon.

Bob

There is a value in waste oil. We have a tank at work which is emptied a couple of times a year and taken away by someone, I know not what they do with it.

Tim

There is certainly a value to old batteries, if you are a boater with ready access to a car it can be worth collecting them up and weighing them in, especially if there is a few.

I wonder how up to date that is though?

eg It refers to oil collection at Pollington lock and I've never noticed one and we boat/walk past it regularly, I could have missed it of course.

Plus a lot of municipal/public/supermarket ones have gone as local authorities have expanded their domestic re-cycling collections and arson attacks on paper/carboard collection skips were not uncommon.

Its only as good as the feedback she receives. She can't be everywhere all the time, Have you left a message on her site saying its changed?

The local tip (Household Waste Recycling Centre) is a short walk from Nottingham Road bridge in Loughborough. On the Calder and Hebble the HWRC is canalside above Thornes lock (Denby Dale Road Bridge) - no moorings and about to close for a year for redevelopment but will then be a shiny new better than before site with recycling facilities for all sorts of waste. Sadly I'll never be able to try this site out as Tyto is too long for the C&H. I've been treated in hospitals rooms I've designed but as yet not used a canal side HWRC that I've worked on!!

Many household waste sites deny access to cyclists and pedestrians for some reason, so unless you have a car they may be of no use.

Regarding oil and batteries, it should be fairly profitable for the right businesses to collect these periodically from CRT sites. They are valuable. BR used to operate a scrap recovery contract for small stuff not worth sending a train out for. Staff would take all small metal items to a designated point in their area. When there was a lorry load the local supervisor would ring the contractor, who would send a lorry to fetch it.

Contractors were appointed by tender, the highest bidder getting the job. That is, it was worth enough to them they'd pay BR to be allowed to do it.

CRT could designate certain of their sites for oil & battery collection and operate a similar system perhaps.

Edited for typos!

Edited by trackman

Its only as good as the feedback she receives. She can't be everywhere all the time, Have you left a message on her site saying its changed?

No because I'm not 100% sure of my facts, as I said it could just be me having missed it.

I will check next time we pass.

smiley_offtopic.gif

The rubbish point at Whitley lock on the A&CN lost it's big red Biffa bin for a while so rubbish just used to pile up in bags.

Then last time we dropped rubbish there a load of black domestic style plastic dustbins had suddenly appeared, initially I thought they were all going to be labelled 'glass' 'paper' and so on but no they are all just for general rubbish it seems... not sure why they have swapped.

Edited by The Dog House