Really stoopid questions about tablets and internet connection

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

I don't have a tablet and have never spent any time having a proper look at one, but the battery life of them gives them some appeal.

What confuses me though is how you get online with them? I use a 3 dongle (PAYG) for my laptop, and you never see a tablet with a dongle in it I don't think? I assume there is a way to run a tablet on PAYG, not on a contract?

I don't have a tablet and have never spent any time having a proper look at one, but the battery life of them gives them some appeal.

What confuses me though is how you get online with them? I use a 3 dongle (PAYG) for my laptop, and you never see a tablet with a dongle in it I don't think? I assume there is a way to run a tablet on PAYG, not on a contract?

Some tablets take a sim card just like a phone or you can use one with a wi-fi router which will accept a dongle in a USB port.

You can connect over a wifi dongle like the Mifi,

Or if you are happy with an existing dongle, you can plug into a 3G router, which then establishes your boat as a wireless network, so you can have multiple devices in use at once.

Probably more use to those of us with several on board though - when there is only you, I doubt you'll need multiple devices.

About £30 for a suitable 3G router, I think.

Having had both a WiFi only and a 3G tablet (iPad Mini) I couldn't go back to WiFi only now. Granted you have to pay a monthly fee (or PAYG) for the 3G ones but you will be able to use it anywhere and that does come in useful, especially when on the move along the cut or in the car.

iPad with built in wifi and 3G here. Having a separate wifi device eg MiFi or phone that allows tethering, means you can put that device in the window to get a good 3G signal, whilst having the tablet in the body of the boat inside all that steel, so that you make the most of a weak 3G signal.

Or if you are happy with an existing dongle, you can plug into a 3G router, which then establishes your boat as a wireless network, so you can have multiple devices in use at once.

Probably more use to those of us with several on board though - when there is only you, I doubt you'll need multiple devices.

About £30 for a suitable 3G router, I think.

Ours

http://www.zoomtel.com/techsupport/mobile_broadband/mobile_broadband_4506.shtml

Was a tad more at 40 quid off eBay brand new but it works a treat.

I either stick my SIM card in my iPad or in my mifi, using a adaptor card. Depending on where I am and what other devices I have with me.

Edit to add: My mifi's antenna seems more powerful sometimes though.

Edited by Caprifool

moi has a PAYG 3 dongle for my laptop and I have PAYG on my 3 Huawei MIfi thingy me bob which I use with my google nexus tablet.

I can use the MiFi with my mobile and the bestest thing is that I can keep the tablet and Mifi in my bag, so that I can use the internet on the go, especially works well if I am not near any Free lol WiFi places,hope this helps. plus it works as well in my caravan and boat :)

141076691383_1.jpg

--

US $13.59

£8.46

Buy it now

Free P&P

28d 10h

If you want cheap this works with most dongles I have tried to create a hotspot which will run 5 devices

No phone contract, everything on PAYG.

IMO you are best of trying a Three Data (Mobile) sim off Ebay; About 12 squid for 3gb that lasts 90 days. A second hand dongle can be picked up for a tenner

As has been said many tablets will have the built in ability to use 3G direct from a dongle; Even the 40 squid chinese ones

I have a Vodafone mifi that's going spare in about 10 days, because the contract is ending, you could have it, it needs unlocking, then you could put a 3 sim in, it's a bit faulty in that it wont switch off, you have to remove the batt but otherwise it works.

You can buy an unlock code from Unlocked Dongle, or perhaps a phone shop could unlock it for you? Ive already unlocked our new EE 4g dongle so I can put 3 sims in if I need to.

Eta posting from the old vodafone thingy now, trying to use up my data!

Edited by Lady Muck

My tablet is fab. Is takes a microSIM for 3G (I use 3 Network) and it has wireless obviously when near a pub or a BT Hub thingy in the sky. It doesn't need an additional dongle -you can just order a microSIM for the same account you already have, I'd have thought. The tablet has an 8 hour battery life (8 hours of video playing apparently) and that increases to 16 hours battery life when docked in its keyboard which makes it like a netbook.

It's the ASUS VivoTab

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Ah, ok. I have a dongle on Three already, I assume that PAYG package won't work on the tablet too?

The 90 days 3gb one isn't too bad either. Do I actually need a dongle in the tablet, or just the dongle sim itself?

Your current Thee dongle/sim on PAYG should work most tablets. They often have only one mini or micro usb port to accept the dongle/keyboard/whatever necessitating the matching usb (OTG) cable to connect.

Picture Information

Free P&P
imgLoading_30x30.gif$(KGrHqFHJ!8FH6zFQT5jBSDk!NLw8!~~60_35.J
Image not available Photos not available for this variation
Have one to sell? Sell it yourself
7" Android 4.2 Dual -Core Capacitive Touch Screen 4GB Dual Camera Tablet PC Wifi
Seller information
98.9% Positive Feedback
Visit Shop:
s.gif daditongworld
Item condition:
New
Price:
£39.88
Free P&P
(without additional items)
(purchase all items)Add to list
Start of add to list layer
End of add to list layer

• 2 weeks later...

I'm dragging this thread up because I have an Orange dongle (not PAYG) which I use on a laptop. Most tablets don't have a USB2 slot. If I get a tablet, can I connect my present dongle to it using an OTG (mini USB to USB2 adaptor) cable?

It can't be that simple, can it?

I'm dragging this thread up because I have an Orange dongle (not PAYG) which I use on a laptop. Most tablets don't have a USB2 slot. If I get a tablet, can I connect my present dongle to it using an OTG (mini USB to USB2 adaptor) cable?

It can't be that simple, can it?

It can be done even if you have to use a USB adaptor for the micro USB port.. There are a few 'how to' videos on You Tube showing it being done. But I've never tried it with my Nexus 7

A quick google throws up quite a few compatibility issues on some tablets/dongles though so I would certainly be wanting to try your dongle in any potential purchase choice before committing to buy a particular one.

Edited by The Dog House