Problem with new stove

deckhand

Featured Posts

Hoping someone can offer some help.

We have a new coal/woodburner fitted on our new boat. Came to light the fire tonight, 1 sheet newspaper scrunched, couple firelighters, few pieces kindling wood and half a dozen pieces of coal on top.

Put the match to the paper, the fire filled up with smoke and started to pour out of the vent at the front and the airwash vents.

NO smoke out of the chimney.

We had a fire lit night before last which was the first fire we have had in it. I felt that there was no much draw on it and it took ages to get it going. Once it was going, it kicked out some heat but it did make the glas very very black which I had to clean off this morning,

I am used to woodburners, I do have one at home so not complete novice but this does not feel quite right.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

The chimney is blocked.

I had exactly the same problem after I bought my boat and went to light my first fire. So I went outside with a flue brush and rigorously cleaned the chimney, came inside and re-lit the fire and had exactly the same problem. After much scratching of 2 heads we discovered a baffle plate in the top of the stove. What had happened was about 20 years of chimney crap had been pushed down on top of the baffle plate and was clogging up the space where the smoke should have been going. Once cleaned out I instantly had the fire roaring!

Sounds like the chimney's blocked, easy enough to check, drop something down it.Maybe some piece of packaging no been removed when installing the fire or is there now a damper in the flue you've not come across before. Certainly something is stopping the smoke getting up it for some reason, might be it it's a back or top flue the blanking plate was left in, get your hand in there, but hurry up Santa will be here in a couple more monthsbiggrin.png

We have a new coal/woodburner fitted on our new boat. Came to light the fire tonight, 1 sheet newspaper scrunched, couple firelighters, few pieces kindling wood and half a dozen pieces of coal on top.

Put the match to the paper, the fire filled up with smoke and started to pour out of the vent at the front and the airwash vents.

We had a fire lit night before last which was the first fire we have had in it. I felt that there was no much draw on it and it took ages to get it going. Once it was going, it kicked out some heat but it did make the glas very very black which I had to clean off this morning,

I am used to woodburners, I do have one at home so not complete novice but this does not feel quite right.

When was the chimney last swept?

When was the chimney last swept?

It is a brand new chimney on a brand new boat. we have looked at the baffle plate and that seems to be in situ correctly, we have looked down and put broom handle down and there is nothing in there. The first fire we had going the smoke did go up the chimney albeit not with any gusto.

The only thing I have done differently this time was to put a piece of newspaper on first to get it going. I just lit the firelighter last time and it struggled like hell.

It looks like I am going to have to go back to the boat builder and the guy who fitted it.

Sounds like the chimney's blocked, easy enough to check, drop something down it.Maybe some piece of packaging no been removed when installing the fire or is there now a damper in the flue you've not come across before. Certainly something is stopping the smoke getting up it for some reason, might be it it's a back or top flue the blanking plate was left in, get your hand in there, but hurry up Santa will be here in a couple more monthsbiggrin.png

Santa will get in, I will leave the door open for him clapping.gif

Your last comment may be the answer to your problem, Try lighting again

& leave the door open about an inch. Once its burning well & smokes

died down a bit then shut door.

The air vents are not big enough to move the large quantity of smoke!

Yes, tried that , but the smoke just billowed into the boat. Tried just creating a bit of a draw to pull it through but it wasn't having any of it. There is a reason why smoke is not going up the chimney. I just don't understand why because baffle is in correct place.

Sounds like your not putting enough kindling on and also six bits of coal I shouldn't think would cover the grate adequately. If parts of the grate are not covered, in locomotive firemans parlance known as the dreaded ''black hole'' the draught from below will just bypass the coals through the gap-gaps, smoulder and probably go out. And yes keeping the door ajar about a half inch really helps the draw too.

It's properly windy at the moment and boats tend to have short flue runs which make it tricky to get them drawing properly. With the wind and poor draw, it's a recipe for a cabin full of smoke - unless you know how. You need to get the flue pipe really really hot as quickly as possible. Don't mess about with a bit of newspaper and 2 fire lighters - there is no prize for lighting a stove with the least possible fuel. Light half a pack of fire lighters/something dunked in diesel (way better than fire lighters), then bung on 2 handfuls of dry as a bone kindling, pine for preference and leave the bottom door (if you have one) ajar. If you have a new Squirrel with the safety catch thingy - lose it! Once the flue is up to temperature (over 200 degrees C according to an Aldi magnetic thermometer) then you can think about sticking some proper fuel on.

Sounds like your not putting enough kindling on and also six bits of coal I shouldn't think would cover the grate adequately. If parts of the grate are not covered, in locomotive firemans parlance known as the dreaded ''black hole'' the draught from below will just bypass the coals through the gap-gaps, smoulder and probably go out. And yes keeping the door ajar about a half inch really helps the draw too.

It's properly windy at the moment and boats tend to have short flue runs which make it tricky to get them drawing properly. With the wind and poor draw, it's a recipe for a cabin full of smoke - unless you know how. You need to get the flue pipe really really hot as quickly as possible. Don't mess about with a bit of newspaper and 2 fire lighters - there is no prize for lighting a stove with the least possible fuel. Light half a pack of fire lighters/something dunked in diesel (way better than fire lighters), then bung on 2 handfuls of dry as a bone kindling, pine for preference and leave the bottom door (if you have one) ajar. If you have a new Squirrel with the safety catch thingy - lose it! Once the flue is up to temperature (over 200 degrees C according to an Aldi magnetic thermometer) then you can think about sticking some proper fuel on.

Thanks, Iwill give it a go tomorrow. maybe I was trying too hard then. I hope that that is all it is. ;)

Thanks, Iwill give it a go tomorrow. maybe I was trying too hard then. I hope that that is all it is. wink.png

Try using paper & kindling & extra (thicker) kindling - - get the fire going nicely as a 'wood' fire before you put any coal/briquettes/anthracite on.

(we open the 'ash-can door' an inch for ten minutes after lighting the fire just to make sure there's plenty of updraft available)

(You did make sure the ash can was empty didn't you?)

Hi

What stove is it? If its a new squirell then there is probably a stupid baffle plate like an upturned hand at the bottom of the flue inside just above the large flat baffle plate, it needs removing and should not be left in place on a boat, Im afraid too many boat fitters dont know that, Also if it has the washers at the rear of the bottom spin wheel remove them and the silly piece that makes both top and bottom door have to open together. They are modern additions that ruin a perfectly good stove due to stupid nanny state ideas. Of course if it aint a squirrell then this will mean nowt to you smile.png

Tim

There is some confusion here between a baffle plate and a damper. The baffle plate is a large flat sloping plate some way below the flue. It diverts flames and heat to the top of the stove. That's fine.

A damper is a swivelling round plate in the base of the flue and is used to block the flue to varying amounts as an extra method of controlling the throughflow of air and gases. IT HAS NO PLACE ON A BOAT STOVE, IS DANGEROUS AND SHOULD BE REMOVED, as Tim says. If accidentally closed, by just knocking the lever, not only will it make the stove smoke like hell, but the slightest amount of soot or debris falling down the flue will block it completely, with possible disastrous consequences. A couple of washers and a nut & bolt will block each hole left when you remove the spindle.

The air controls at the base of the stove should be entirely adequate to control air flow. In fact, I'm not sure that stoves with flue dampers are still available now. They certainly shouldn't be for use on boats.

Tim can correct me but I think he is describing the baffle plate which is standard fitment on new Squirrels and not a flue based damper. I agree it is a daft looking design, in exactly the right place to catch anything swept down from above. After a year or two of acidic smoke I can see it being a pain to remove. If I was fitting that stove to my boat it would be rapidly skip bound.

Now I don't feel so stupid! When I had a mad cleaning session I removed both the baffle plate and the other one but could not for the life of me get the other one back in! After lots of swearing and around 3 hours later I gave up. Does this mean I can stop using it as ballast????

I find the trick to stove lighting is to use dry paper and kindling, along with a fire lighter or two. Paper and kindling that has been left inside a boat at this time of year will become too damp if the boat is out of use most of the time. Also the conditions of warm damp autumn seem to discourage a good draw from the flue.

Do you have an external chimney fitted to the top of the flue plate? They don't make a huge difference but do help a bit, by increasing the height of the flue, and discouraging downdrafts.

Eta: This is the smoke deflector plate that sits directly underneath the flue opening not the main baffle. If left in place on a standard boat installation it must have a negative effect on the stove's draw.

Hi

Thats the one. It is a stupid recent addition, I dont mean the big flat plate thats always been there. Morso actualy state NOT to leave it fitted on short length chimneys such as most boats.

Tim

Charlotte, I took your advice and have had a great fire going all day. Thankyou.

Hi

What stove is it? If its a new squirell then there is probably a stupid baffle plate like an upturned hand at the bottom of the flue inside just above the large flat baffle plate, it needs removing and should not be left in place on a boat, Im afraid too many boat fitters dont know that, Also if it has the washers at the rear of the bottom spin wheel remove them and the silly piece that makes both top and bottom door have to open together. They are modern additions that ruin a perfectly good stove due to stupid nanny state ideas. Of course if it aint a squirrell then this will mean nowt to you smile.png

Tim

Not a squirrel, its a Whitworth (think that's right). We don't seem to have anything but the baffle plate. I had emptied the ash tray and I didn't use paper this time. Just firelighters, bit of wood and stuck coal on top and put match to it and got it going well quickly. I have noticed that unless I keep it topped up well it does go down quite quickly. I know with my wood one at home, if you leave it to go down a bit too far, its easy to get going again but with coal, it seems a bit different. Love it though when its going well, fire on, hatch open ;))

Charlotte, I took your advice and have had a great fire going all day. Thankyou.

Not a squirrel, its a Whitworth (think that's right). We don't seem to have anything but the baffle plate. I had emptied the ash tray and I didn't use paper this time. Just firelighters, bit of wood and stuck coal on top and put match to it and got it going well quickly. I have noticed that unless I keep it topped up well it does go down quite quickly. I know with my wood one at home, if you leave it to go down a bit too far, its easy to get going again but with coal, it seems a bit different. Love it though when its going well, fire on, hatch open wink.png)

Careful or you will turn into a fire nerd ! Seriously though, you may find that with practice you can really turn the sir vent(s) down and get a slow hot fire that lasts and lats. It does depend on the coal you use too, of course.

The Op states that everything is new, boat stove,the lot, surely then you should contact the builder and let him put things right

certainly I wouldn't be removing any baffle plates or you'll do no end of damage.