Dog Friendly Pubs

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

We dont have a dog now but I know many boaters do so I thought I would start a thread to list Dog friendly pubs

The Barley Mow at Upper Heyford is dog friendly they even had a bowl of water on the floor in the bar. The also do good human food.

The Boat at Thrupp is also quite happy to have dogs in the bar.

Many of the members of this forum know I produce the Canal and Riverside Pub Guide

Where I know or have been informed, I will show that pubs are 'dog friendly' and welcome any help in making the guide as true to what happens on the ground as possible

http://www.canalandriversidepubs.co.uk/pubs.html

The Navigation at Gnosall on The Shroppie is very dog friendly. Dogs are welcome in the bar (for obvious reasons not the restaurant) and water is offered as a matter of course. They will usually ask the owner if the dog is allowed a treat too.

Some of the "regulars" (dogs that is) know to go and sit in the entrance to the bar - paws do not cross the line - just sit and wait patiently in the queue for their treat! :)

Just finished doing the 4 counties from Wigan with 3 border terriers, and pubs have been great - Swan with Two Nicks at Little Bollington - we've visited it many times and its always been very dog friendly, lots of dogs there, biscuits provided. Bluebell at Kidsgrove, fantastic real ale pub, happy for us to take our dogs in, as was the Boat Inn at Gnosall. At Lord Combermere in Audlem the staff made fuss of our dogs and provided biscuits.

Generally we've found a good number of dog friendly pubs on our cruises, only real disappointment was the Black Lion at Nantwich 5 years ago which was recommended in glowing terms by another dog owner. Sadly when we turned up there had been a change of management and they refused to even let us in the beer garden. Think it may have been because we weren't wearing suits as much as having dogs.

Many of the members of this forum know I produce the Canal and Riverside Pub Guide

Where I know or have been informed, I will show that pubs are 'dog friendly' and welcome any help in making the guide as true to what happens on the ground as possible

http://www.canalandriversidepubs.co.uk/pubs.html

Sent you a mail some weeks ago, a few pubs on the cov have closed, not updated on your site yet...

Could we also have a list of pubs where dogs aren't allowed? Oh, and children too.

Probably best to start your own thread for that one I would say, people might get confused mixing them up and god forbid you might go to one and find a dog sat quietly under one of the drinkers tables.....and that would never do now would it.

Probably best to start your own thread for that one I would say, people might get confused mixing them up and god forbid you might go to one and find a dog sat quietly under one of the drinkers tables.....and that would never do now would it.

Not if you are allergic to dogs, no it wouldn't do :-). Although we boat with our dogs we never even think about taking them to the pub, especially if it is one which sells food. By the time we moor up in the evening, the dogs are exhausted and ready for a kip while we go out.

haggis

Edited by haggis

Not if you are allergic to dogs, no it wouldn't do :-). Although we boat with our dogs we never even think about taking them to the pub, especially if it is one which sells food. By the time we moor up in the evening, the dogs are exhausted and ready for a kip while we go out.

haggis

Most if not all the pubs we have taken Dennis in have designated areas eg Dogs in the bar only, or Dogs outside only. They also always say 'Well beahved dogs welcome'

It's perfectly possible to avoid close contact with a dog if you are allergic to one and enjoy a drink in a dog friendly pub - if you are that sensitive to them I suggest you would find it impossible to use public transport as there just might be or recently been a dog on the bus.

People who have a phobia or concerns about dogs in pubs for gawds sake don't ever go to France (or Cornwall even) - you'd hardly ever get a drink and in some cases not be able to eat out either.

Business savvy landlords know in the current climate they cannot afford to alienate parts of the customer base on the basis somebody might just come in who just may be allergic to dogs.

Some pubs that are dog friendly do ask you to keep to certain areas within the pub, that seems fair enough to me, I do appreciate some people would rather avoid them. Also in the summer if the weather's good we'd prefer to sit outside in the beer garden anyway. On a summers evening its lovely to walk a mile or so along the tow path with them to the pub, have a beer then walk back for our evening meal. I'm not sure it's necessarily an issue having dogs around where food is being served and eaten, so long as everyone is happy with the arrangement, we've certainly dined in pubs with ours sleeping quietly under the table and no one has objected.

Business savvy landlords know in the current climate they cannot afford to alienate parts of the customer base on the basis somebody might just come in who just may be allergic to dogs.

So are you are saying is that its OK to alienate some parts of the customer base - ie people with dog allergy or phobia, or just generally dislike dogs, but not another part of the customer base - those who have dogs?

Most if not all the pubs we have taken Dennis in have designated areas eg Dogs in the bar only, or Dogs outside only. They also always say 'Well beahved dogs welcome'

It's perfectly possible to avoid close contact with a dog if you are allergic to one and enjoy a drink in a dog friendly pub - if you are that sensitive to them I suggest you would find it impossible to use public transport as there just might be or recently been a dog on the bus.

People who have a phobia or concerns about dogs in pubs for gawds sake don't ever go to France (or Cornwall even) - you'd hardly ever get a drink and in some cases not be able to eat out either.

We have a couple of relatives who are allergic to dogs and they don't need to touch them to get a reaction, it is usually enough to enter an area where dogs are or have been recently. Good idea if pubs have an area where dogs are allowed and an area where dogs are not allowed then all tastes will be catered for. I am a dog lover (we actully have 3 and I spend more time doing dog agility than boating etc) but if I am eating the last thing I want is a dog approaching me and sniffing around me, possibly smelling my dogs or looking for a tit bit. If dogs lie under thier owners chairs then that is fine but they don't all do that. We live in a small village which has a big primary school (we are at the corner of the catchment area) and while it is good to see many children walking through woods etc to school, I and other dog owners in the area see a big increase in the number of children who seem to have a dog phobia and will run screaming if they see one. No idea why this apparent dog fear has got worse as I can't think of any dogs in the area who are not people and children friendly and will just walk past ignoring the children but it is perhaps because of the number of incidents nationally where children are attacked by dogs. I don't know if there are more dog owners who want to take dogs into pubs than folk who have an allergy etc and prefer that dogs are not present but no doubt each landlord will make up his own mind.

Room for all tatstes, I think.

haggis

Edited by haggis

Indeed but I can't think of any pub we have visited recently that has not actually got a notice outside saying 'Dogs welcome' or if there isn't a sign and we have asked if we are OK with the dog they have said 'yes fine' but in the bar or similar.

So the likely hood of a person with an allergy to them encountering one is quite high I would say hence yes it's a good idea to have separate areas. But if that sensitive this is a risk to them in many public areas that dogs can access.

As for dogs approaching whilst eating yes I agree I wouldn't like that but if that happens I would politely ask the owner to keep theirs under proper control (like ours would be) and if that din't get a result complain to the staff, 'well behaved' to me doesn't mean bugging other customers and their dogs.

I personally haven't seen the phobias you refer to in fact I more than often have to discourage people from just striding up to our dog and stroking him uninvited, if only to prevent them from doing it to a dog who may not take it so well.. I guess though if he was bigger he might invoke some of those fears perhaps, as it is he attracts kids in particular like a magnet sometimes.

IMG_0119-1.jpg

People need to be aware though that any dog of any size should not really be approached and stroked without the consent of the owner.

Edited by The Dog House

So are you are saying is that its OK to alienate some parts of the customer base - ie people with dog allergy or phobia, or just generally dislike dogs, but not another part of the customer base - those who have dogs?

Slightly smiley_offtopic.gif but isn't that what happened with smokers? Also I thought that childern are not allowed in many bars anyway?

I think if pub owners really thought there was a huge number of these folk then yes they would take the view that they would be banning dogs - in practice they seem to be serving what the majority of their customers want - this being the ones who are dog owners and the ones who don't care either way. I would suggest those with an allergy or with a real phobia will be in the minority, that's why it's sensible from a business perspective to make provision for dogs in pubs.

Of course the really savvy ones make provision for both dog owners and dog phobics/allergics by providing separate areas.

Both the Plough and the Admiral Nelson in Braunston allow dogs inside.

The Old Royal Oak in Hillmorton doesn't allow dogs in the main bar but has an indoor downstairs dog-park where you can leave your dog while you are upstairs, or stay down there with them if you're not feeling too social!

Edited by Starcoaster

I would think that 90% of canal side pubs are dog friendly,...........................

Perhaps it is a regional thing, but I very much doubt it is as high as 90%.

Greater than 50%, I would concede, but there are a significant number where we have been refused.

The "New Inn" pub chosen for the Buckby banter, for example, apparently does not allow dogs in any area. Some may rejoice at that, but what they pick up in trade from those who don't like dogs, they potentially lose from those who are not happy to leave a dog on a boat.

A good compromise, IMO, as pubs like the Boat at Stoke Bruerne or the Globe at Leighton Buzzard. Dogs are allowed in the relatively small bar areas, where you can still order a meal, but not in the main body of the lounges and/or restaurants.

We face similar issues with "sit outside" restaurants in places like central Brum. The ones that allow a quiet dog get our regular business, the ones that don't do not. (Strange that sometimes a eatery chain cites "company policy", or "food standards", but another eatery in the same chain welcomes us!). We still have to suffer other peoples' cigarette smoke through our meals, though, of course!

Perhaps it is a regional thing, but I very much doubt it is as high as 90%.

Greater than 50%, I would concede, but there are a significant number where we have been refused.

The "New Inn" pub chosen for the Buckby banter, for example, apparently does not allow dogs in any area. Some may rejoice at that, but what they pick up in trade from those who don't like dogs, they potentially lose from those who are not happy to leave a dog on a boat.

A good compromise, IMO, as pubs like the Boat at Stoke Bruerne or the Globe at Leighton Buzzard. Dogs are allowed in the relatively small bar areas, where you can still order a meal, but not in the main body of the lounges and/or restaurants.

We face similar issues with "sit outside" restaurants in places like central Brum. The ones that allow a quiet dog get our regular business, the ones that don't do not. (Strange that sometimes a eatery chain cites "company policy", or "food standards", but another eatery in the same chain welcomes us!). We still have to suffer other peoples' cigarette smoke through our meals, though, of course!

The food standards thing interests me - since this thread started I have been trying to locate any evidence that dogs in pubs or restaurants cause any additional risk to food safety if they are present and so far I haven't managed to locate any.

When we are in France as I said above we find that they are even more accommodating than we are here, we can regularly sit in a restaurant and enjoy a meal with our dog under the table, they are also quite often OK about them going in shops normally (including food shops) - so I'm inclined to believe the food safety thing is more based on myth than fact but I would be interested to know if anybody could prove otherwise with a proper study.

The Samuel Barlow at Alvecote Marina on the Coventry Canal is very dog friendly. They're happy to have dogs in the restaurant - when we discussed this with them they said that there's nothing at all in hygiene legislation to stop this - the only place dogs aren't allowed is in the kitchen.