the bramwith coffee boat.

Featured Posts

I'm interested in food safety, that's all. Pubs that have changed hands often continue to display the FH rating obtained by the previous management, though I don't know if this is legal.

The Food Standards Agency has an app that lets you check the FH ratings but it makes sense to require businesses to display their ratings. Think about those who don't use computers or smartphones.

Edited to make it make some sort of sense.

Indeed - I have no problem with businesses being forced to display it. There is some concern about the relevance of the scheme given the frequency of the inspections but it is much better than nothing, definitely.

Indeed - I have no problem with businesses being forced to display it. There is some concern about the relevance of the scheme given the frequency of the inspections but it is much better than nothing, definitely.

I totally agree. I've seen some fairly horrible stuff on TV programmes and been surprised that premises are not closed down there and then until the problems are resolved.

On the other hand, some premises are marked down for not having sprayed everything with anti-bacterial stuff that could be harmful to people and is certainly not good for the environment. Firstly it's not necessary and secondly it's no substitute for cleaning. Norwich CC inspections (available online) provide examples of this.

A small cafe should not find it onerous to get a good rating, compared to a restaurant handling raw and cooked meat, and having to manage complex records and have training procedures in place for a team of staff.

Why, I also work on the basis if they don't display it they have something to hide.

The trouble is that most people are not accustomed to looking for FH ratings, but they may understand the significance if they see one.

No its saying if you don't tell me your product/service is up to standard I wont buy it. Voting with ones feet as they say.

As in walking out of a pub after finding it only has keg beer despite the signs saying cask ales.

I must admit I've never looked for or thought about a food establishment's hygiene rating. I had the assumption that if they were allowed to sell food to the general public they must have passed a certain minimum standard.

Am I hopelessly naive? Do I need to start looking up ratings on the internet before I order a takeaway or eat in a restaurant?

Genuine question by the way, no sarkiness intended.

I must admit I've never looked for or thought about a food establishment's hygiene rating. I had the assumption that if they were allowed to sell food to the general public they must have passed a certain minimum standard.

Am I hopelessly naive? Do I need to start looking up ratings on the internet before I order a takeaway or eat in a restaurant?

Genuine question by the way, no sarkiness intended.

Most cases of food poisoning are just unpleasant, but there is the possibility that you could land up in hospital. I don't have figures to hand and many cases in the home go unrecorded anyway. Unfortunately, catering establishments occasionally cause a group of people to be ill and that is what we hear about in the news.

At home you can take sensible measures to protect yourself, such as keeping raw meat away from cooked food and washing out hands before handling food (human excrement contains some nasty bugs). The common belief that cooking will make dodgy food safe is wrong because some bacteria produce toxic substances that survive cooking.

A good food hygiene rating is absolutely no guarantee that they will turn out safe food the next week or even years later but unless you work in the kitchen and understand the dangers, its about the only information we have to go on. If I'm in doubt I will go for food that is likely to be out of the freezer and into the frier.

There is no reason to be paranoid about food safety but many falsely believe that they can eat anything and will never get ill. Many people take drugs to suppress production of stomach acid these days, and that means they don't have the same protection against harmful bacteria.

Most cases of food poisoning are just unpleasant, but there is the possibility that you could land up in hospital. I don't have figures to hand and many cases in the home go unrecorded anyway. Unfortunately, catering establishments occasionally cause a group of people to be ill and that is what we hear about in the news.

At home you can take sensible measures to protect yourself, such as keeping raw meat away from cooked food and washing out hands before handling food (human excrement contains some nasty bugs). The common belief that cooking will make dodgy food safe is wrong because some bacteria produce toxic substances that survive cooking.

A good food hygiene rating is absolutely no guarantee that they will turn out safe food the next week or even years later but unless you work in the kitchen and understand the dangers, its about the only information we have to go on. If I'm in doubt I will go for food that is likely to be out of the freezer and into the frier.

There is no reason to be paranoid about food safety but many falsely believe that they can eat anything and will never get ill. Many people take drugs to suppress production of stomach acid these days, and that means they don't have the same protection against harmful bacteria.

Thanks for that info smile.png I had salmonella once at a barbeque - it wasn't a surprise after I ate a huge chunk of chicken and then looked at it and saw red blood running out of it. I thought I was going to die - it wouldn't be polite to describe what I went through in a short period of time but it was dreadful.

In the home kitchen it's very different - when it's just us I don't worry about stuff like licking the spoon, whereas if I'm cooking for others I'm meticulous - if I taste the sauce I wash it before I taste it again, but me & Dave have been exchanging bodily fluids for nearly 30 years so I know it's not a problem smile.png

Lol the home brew is kicking in and I probably shared too much information biggrin.png

Thanks for that info smile.png I had salmonella once at a barbeque - it wasn't a surprise after I ate a huge chunk of chicken and then looked at it and saw red blood running out of it. I thought I was going to die - it wouldn't be polite to describe what I went through in a short period of time but it was dreadful.

In the home kitchen it's very different - when it's just us I don't worry about stuff like licking the spoon, whereas if I'm cooking for others I'm meticulous - if I taste the sauce I wash it before I taste it again, but me & Dave have been exchanging bodily fluids for nearly 30 years so I know it's not a problem smile.png

Lol the home brew is kicking in and I probably shared too much information biggrin.png

As far as I know, home brew and alcoholic drinks are unlikely to cause food poisoning. cheers.gif

Hey tell you what Mango if you pass by our way and give us a little advance notice you may be treated to Dave's home brew.,

I need to go to bed now - night nihjgt lovely peeps xxx

Hey tell you what Mango if you pass by our way and give us a little advance notice you may be treated to Dave's home brew.,

I need to go to bed now - night nihjgt lovely peeps xxx

Thanks. If I'm likely to be floating by I might well.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...