I may have found a body in lock 87 on the Rochdale 9.

DeanS

Featured Posts

True story from Australia from about 10 years ago:

An employee for Ansett Australia (Airlines) who happened to have the last name of Gaye, got on a plane recently using the company's 'Free Flight' offer for staff. However, when Mr. Gaye tried to take his seat he found it being occupied by a fare paying passenger - a young man in his 20s. Deciding not to make a fuss he simply chose another vacant seat.

Unknown to Mr. Gaye, another Ansett flight at the airport had experienced mechanical problems. The passengers of this flight were being re-routed to various other planes. A few were put on Mr. Gaye's flight and anyone who was holding a 'Free' ticket was being bumped. Ansett officials, armed with a list of these freebee ticket holders boarded the plane, as is the practice, to remove them in favour of fare paying passengers.

Of course, our Mr. Gaye was not sitting in his assigned seat. So, when the ticket agent approached the seat where he was supposed to be sitting she asked the startled customer "Are you Gay?" The man shyly nodded that he was, at which point she demanded "Then I'm afraid you have to get off this plane." Mr. Gaye, overhearing what the agent had said, tried to clear up the situation: "You've got the wrong man. I'm Gay!" This caused an angry third passenger to yell "Hey, I'm gay too! They can't kick us all off!" Chaos reigned as more and more passengers began yelling that Ansett had no right to remove gays from their flights.

Lol,

Come on Blackrose you cannot be serious!

You've pinched that story from the Virtual Pub 'Friday Night Joke' entries. :-)

Any descriptive term used negatively can be offensive..

Exactly.

Lol,

Come on Blackrose you cannot be serious!

You've pinched that story from the Virtual Pub 'Friday Night Joke' entries. :-)

I heard it on Radio 4 about 10 years ago. Laughed so much I never forgot it.

I think (though I stand to be corrected) that Martin's "coloucial" was a spelling malfunction on the way to "colloquial."

Jewish is not, to me, a religious-only designation in the way that "Christian" is. I am half Jewish by ancestry, and am completely irreligious, but still refer to myself as culturally/ethnically half Jewish. I think that being Jewish is more than a religious designation, and in some cases, is not to do with religion at all. I think this is why terms spoken pejoratively about being Jewish can sometimes be classed as a racial pejorative whereas most other religious designations often don't fit the racial box at all.

Edited by Starcoaster

Exactly.

not quite it also depends on how the comment is received.

I think (though I stand to be corrected) that Martin's "coloucial" was a spelling malfunction on the way to "colloquial."

Jewish is not, to me, a religious-only designation in the way that "Christian" is. I am half Jewish by ancestry, and am completely irreligious, but still refer to myself as culturally/ethnically half Jewish. I think that being Jewish is more than a religious designation, and in some cases, is not to do with religion at all. I think this is why terms spoken pejoratively about being Jewish can sometimes be classed as a racial pejorative whereas most other religious designations often don't fit the racial box at all.

Indeed I was defeated by my spell checker, I guess though that mike knew that really.

But yes.

Edited by The Dog House

Being of Jewish appearance and my thoughts of origin being reinforced from early photos of my grandparents, I could very well take offence at disparagingly offensive remarks aimed at Jewish people. But in reality I chose to ignore them, after all, it's no skin off my nose!

Just a small point. Why do they call it the "Rochdale 9" when they are in the middle of Manchester which is 13 miles from Rochdale?? Am I missing something??

Because they are 9 locks on the Rochdale Canal?

And because when they got that name they were the only bit of the Rochdale open.

But they don't call it the 'homosexual' village, and they refer to a community which to me means people and not infrastructure as in buildings or part of a city.

The community has to live somewhere and they do call it the Gay Village so it is a place too which has specific boundaries with specifically gay bars which are buildings not people.

In any case what I was responding too was your statement of..

Anyway you can't ascribe sexuality to part of a city, which was my fundamental point.

My point is the same because in this particular place in Manchester at least you can. Nothing wrong in that we all need to be somewhere and it is no different to say China Town in London or other similar examples around the world.

Edited by churchward

As we are now taking this thread into the depths of discussion regarding the gay village area....a friend of mine got himself and another boat jammed between the lock gates, when exiting the lock below Canal Street....so after struggling for a while he shouted to some of the burly gents who were watching from outside the clubs...and said..."could you give us a hand pushing the boats?".....and the reply came back...."Sorry Luv....but you're in the wrong part of town for that..........these..(looking at their burly arms...)...are just for show..."

i thought it was a funny story:)

Likewise. Muscle Marys AKA Gym Bunnies are one of the recognisable groups that you can find on the gay scene. Some (unfortunately) are so far up their own backsides that if they went any further they'd be inside-out! Thankfully, many (perhaps even most) gay people are also able to laugh at themselves and invite others of goodwill to join in the joke.

For the rest, I do object to 'gay' being used as a catch-all term of abuse for precisely the same reason a Jewish person would object to 'Jewish' being used likewise; ultimately, both are derived from a historical situation of oppression in which those words/identifications were both insulting and potentially dangerous. We who are gay have a certain latitude, as do people of colour, Jewish people, etc, to use that sort of terminology in humour (though I've never heard a gay person use 'gay' as an insult); in doing so it's as well to be wary of joining in the discourse of oppression (I speak as a psychotherapist who spends a good deal of time helping people overcome the self-esteem issues that can result). But this can be a bit of a minefield and I don't think anyone here wants a dissertation on the dynamics of self-oppression laugh.png

As someone said, identifying part of a city with a group who've come to congregate there is pretty normal, hence 'gay village', 'Chinatown', etc However NBW sounds as if it's being gratuitously offensive here. mad.gif

Likewise. Muscle Marys AKA Gym Bunnies are one of the recognisable groups that you can find on the gay scene. Some (unfortunately) are so far up their own backsides that if they went any further they'd be inside-out! Thankfully, many (perhaps even most) gay people are also able to laugh at themselves and invite others of goodwill to join in the joke.

For the rest, I do object to 'gay' being used as a catch-all term of abuse for precisely the same reason a Jewish person would object to 'Jewish' being used likewise; ultimately, both are derived from a historical situation of oppression in which those words/identifications were both insulting and potentially dangerous. We who are gay have a certain latitude, as do people of colour, Jewish people, etc, to use that sort of terminology in humour (though I've never heard a gay person use 'gay' as an insult); in doing so it's as well to be wary of joining in the discourse of oppression (I speak as a psychotherapist who spends a good deal of time helping people overcome the self-esteem issues that can result). But this can be a bit of a minefield and I don't think anyone here wants a dissertation on the dynamics of self-oppression laugh.png

As someone said, identifying part of a city with a group who've come to congregate there is pretty normal, hence 'gay village', 'Chinatown', etc However NBW sounds as if it's being gratuitously offensive here. mad.gif

As you are no doubt aware, *gay* used to have a completely different meaning about 40 years ago. As an example there used to be a popular boat hire company named *Gay Cruisers*. I can't remember whether they changed their name or went out of business before the word took on a completely different meaning.

Our language is changing all the time, some words/terms might cause offence to one generation but not to another. Anyone who once owned a golliwog would probably be horrified that others might think them racist?

Whatever you feelings about the use of the word 'gay', in the case of the Canal Street area of Manchester the term Gay Village has been well and truly adopted as a local name for that district, and is as well known and casually used as Piccadilly and Ancoats. Go to the Manchester City Council web site and search 'gay village' to see it referred to in dozens of official documents. If this was an issue for the gay folk who throng to the Gay Village, well they would stop thronging and start marching.

Whilst not wishing to actually curtail the perennial discussion of the word "gay" and it's usage, lets not forget that a PERSON has died and urban geography and sexuality really is of no account.

Actually a persons sexuality is potentially relevant to this discussion.

If you read the link I posted about the manslaughter last year you will see that the area is often frequented by gay men seeking casual encounters. Criminals then prey on these individuals in the knowledge that their victims are unlikely to report the crime to the police presumably out of being too embarrassed to do so.

There is of course nothing to suggest at the moment that this is what has happened here of course, but it would appear the police are aware of a particular risk to gay men in that area.

Just to get back on thread, the BBC Northwest News is today (Friday 0730) reporting that a man has been arrested on suspicion of murder in relation to Dean's shocking discovery of the body.

Sad, horrible, a dreadful thing to happen and dreadful to find yourself involuntarily involved as Dean was. Warm thoughts at a difficult time Dean, hope this isn't going to cause you too much more aggravation.