single handed cruising- impossible

Ricco1

Featured Posts

I'm now into my third week as a continuous cruiser. So far so good. I've not encountered any locks yet but already I've met a hurdle I couldn't straddle on my own:

Just south of Macclesfield there's a swing bridge. I pulled over, roped up, got my CRT key out and then... I realised that getting through on my own was impossible. The 'workings' for the swing bridge were on the offside of the canal. Mooring wasn't possible on this side. So, if I'd opened the bridge I'd have to leap over a 7 foot + gap to get back to my boat. I know that the Olympic record exceeds this distance but I'm more of a plodder, cross country type, rather than someone with the leaping abilities of a kangaroo.

You have to wonder, why was the swing bridge designed with the workings on the offside? Or am I going to make myself look really stupid here, there's a way I can easily do this that I didn't think of?

There is a youtube vid of a bloke single handing a swing bridge just like you describe. I think The Dog House posted it last. Maybe he will be kind enough again.

It involves using a line to pull the boat through the bridge, and looks very easy :)

MtB

There is a youtube vid of a bloke single handing a swing bridge just like you describe. I think The Dog House posted it last. Maybe he will be kind enough again.

It involves using a line to pull the boat through the bridge, and looks very easy smile.png

MtB

Seen that done on the L&L. Tie the front ropeto the bridge, open, pull boat alongside.

Hi Ricco1' I saw you pass us earlier today, nice boat with your motorbike on the back :-)

It is possible to work these bridges single handed as follows:-

1. Approach bridge slowly & stop with you're front fender touching the bridge

2. Step off the bows onto the off-side with a rope

3. If necessary push the bows back to allow enough room for the bridge to swing & tie the rope of to a bollard or railing

4. Unlock & swing the bridge

5. Pull on the rope to bring the rope back to you & either drag the boat through or motor it through.

6. Stop the boat & take off a stern line on the off-side

7. Swing the bridge shut & lock it

8. Pull on the stern line & get back on the boat

Just take it steady & don't let anyone rush you.

Cheers, Brian

I did almost 3000 miles last year, 90% of it single handing, and I never stop learning.

Oh yes. Single handed or not, boating is a continual learning experience.

Learning to puzzle things out for yourself is an important part of canal boating, perhaps why it attracts people who are self reliant

Richard

Oh yes. Single handed or not, boating is a continual learning experience.

Learning to puzzle things out for yourself is an important part of canal boating, perhaps why it attracts people who are self reliant

Richard

Aye - there's no impossibilities just challenges.

Hi Ricco1' I saw you pass us earlier today, nice boat with your motorbike on the back :-)

3. If necessary push the bows back to allow enough room for the bridge to swing & tie the rope of to a bollard or railing

5. Pull on the rope to bring the rope back to you & either drag the boat through or motor it through.

Cheers, Brian

Cheers, Brian

That's great Bryan, thanks very much! Just goes to show you, nothing is impossible. I think the last bit of your post is something I'll remember as well. Being new, I do feel a bit under pressure to get things right, even though I don't know what right is at the moment. That swing bridge, I could have sworn it was stuck (I did try) and that further efforts would have seen it off completely (some of the wood was rotten).

That's great Bryan, thanks very much! Just goes to show you, nothing is impossible. I think the last bit of your post is something I'll remember as well. Being new, I do feel a bit under pressure to get things right, even though I don't know what right is at the moment. That swing bridge, I could have sworn it was stuck (I did try) and that further efforts would have seen it off completely (some of the wood was rotten).

There are several tools in your armoury that you may not know you have. Mooring up for a cup of tea is one, as is going for a walk.

For instance, faced with the bridge, rather than being overwhelmed by the bridge, moor up well clear of the bridge for a while. If anyone should ask you if you are OK, you can explain you have stopped for a cup of tea, then watch how they work the bridge

Having had/not had the tea, go for a bit of a walk, happening to go past the bridge. Maybe you'll stop and have a look at the bridge. On the way back, maybe you'll stand to watch a bird in a tree while having a think about the bridge. Or cross over to look for blackberries next to the bridge chain and balance weight. Nature is a wonderful thing to stare at while having a think - especially Robins

Richard

answer is you don't need to moor up at the designated bollards, which like you say are usually on the wrong side, just keep the boat on a short thin line like a dog on a lead, theres usually a handrail or bit of the structure to slip an eye over while you work the bridge, then your boat is right there to step off onto.

answer is you don't need to moor up at the designated bollards, which like you say are usually on the wrong side, just keep the boat on a short thin line like a dog on a lead, theres usually a handrail or bit of the structure to slip an eye over while you work the bridge, then your boat is right there to step off onto.

biggrin.png

Interesting one that. Those bollards were never there for working boats, they have been added to make it easier for leisure boaters!

Richard

It is very stiff and takes a really good shove to open, and yes it is rotten where the beam that you push attaches.

It is, however one that isn't going to upset anybody when you take a while.

The next one at fools nook is easier, because it has a high level footbridge, but opening the bridge, going back to your boat, passing through, then returning to close the bridge will attract some reaction from motorists!

I'm now into my third week as a continuous cruiser. So far so good. I've not encountered any locks yet but already I've met a hurdle I couldn't straddle on my own:

Just south of Macclesfield there's a swing bridge. I pulled over, roped up, got my CRT key out and then... I realised that getting through on my own was impossible. The 'workings' for the swing bridge were on the offside of the canal. Mooring wasn't possible on this side. So, if I'd opened the bridge I'd have to leap over a 7 foot + gap to get back to my boat. I know that the Olympic record exceeds this distance but I'm more of a plodder, cross country type, rather than someone with the leaping abilities of a kangaroo.

You have to wonder, why was the swing bridge designed with the workings on the offside? Or am I going to make myself look really stupid here, there's a way I can easily do this that I didn't think of?

Others have answered your question on how to operate swing bridges single-handed. There are other methods and none of them are too challenging once you aquire the basic skills. I'm sure you will be up and running very soon. Just take your time and don't be rushed or intimidated by road traffic or other boaters etc.

Why are the workings on the offside? ........ Because the canals were built in the days of horse propulsion and the workings wouldn't get in the way of towlines.

There is only one lift bridge which I found particularly challenging when single-handed and that is Ivy House bridge on the Caldon Canal. I'm delighted to report that CaRT have now installed a control console on the towpath side. It is now the easiest lift/swing bridge for single-handers to work. clapping.giflaugh.png

I'm actually enjoying seeing your progress and although we are not even on our boat yet, I keep in mind the advice given to us which has stuck.....doing things slowly will get them done more quickly, never feel under pressure to rush anything :)

Good luck !!

The only thing that really worries me about single handing is being able to get out of the cut if I should fall in. I know because I've done it several times that I can climb up the back end of my boat, full clothed. OP it is worth you while making sure that you can also get out, should the need ever arise. I have met boats which have short ladders down the back, which make life easier. You can not rely on being able to climb out onto the bank, sometimes the bank walls are quite high. All other things can be sorted by good ropes, including that horrid bridge on the Caldon - which I note above has now has been made more user friendly,

I have operated swing bridges on my own. However on my journey from Skipton to Leeds I did not have to do one bridge (out of 29) on my own - wait for another boat, walkers, gongoozlers, fishermen and even a cyclist! And not one refusal of help - kids love it.

It involves using a line to pull the boat through the bridge, and looks very easy smile.png

MtB

No need already posted.

Ricco if it's any comfort to you this is my experience of tackling the very same swing bridge, like you - it was my first

So I'm on my second day of single handing a narrowboat.....ever!

I'd made fantastic progress up the Bosley flight on the Macc (two and a half hours), successfully negotiated the first hydraulic swingbridge near bridge 49 (Oak Grove?)

The manual swingbridge is near bridge 47 and was closed against me so......

1) Tie up with the centre line on the bollards

2) Walk across the bridge and realise I need a BW key

3) Walk back across the bridge and fetch the key

4) Walk across the bridge for the third time and work out how to unlock the bridge which involves lifting an enormous chunk of steelwork that looks like the key to a tin of corned beef

5) Swing the bridge open

6) Look at the gap and realise that I am on one side of the canal and the boat is on the other and I can't now get to it

7) Close the bridge

8) walk across the bridge for the 4th time

9) bow haul the boat so that the bow is in the entrance to the bridge

10) walk across the bridge for the 5th time

11) open the bridge for the second time

12) look at the boat and realise that I haven't pulled the boat through far enough so I can't reach the bow line to pull the boat through

13) close the bridge

14) walk across the bridge for the 6th time

15) push the boat into the bridge entry a bit more

16) walk across the bridge for the 7th time

17) walk down the stonework to get the bow line which is now close enough to reach

18) slip on the stonework and fall on my arse with a major thump

19) I've stopped laughing now as I dust myself off and realise how lucky I was not to seriously hurt myself

20) tie the bow line to the bollard on the off side

21) open the bridge for the 3rd time

22) bow haul the boat through as far as I can then walk it through till the stern is in the bridge exit and tie it off to the bollard on the off side

23) wonder if I should just leave the blasted bridge open because I've had enough now

24) close the bridge for the 3rd time

25) start the engine, untie the stern line and gently pull away from the bridge triumphant that I've beaten the bloody thing

26) Curse mightily as round the corner comes another boat belting along and if I'd been a bit slower at the flight he'd have helped me with the damned bridge

27) smile ruefully as I realise this is how life is and least I now know how not to do a swingbridge

• Greenie 1

The most important thing with solo boating is safety.

Try not to put yourself at risk.

Take your time and do not get pressurised by others to rush.

Consider wearing a self inflating life jacket when working locks, if you do fall in and clump your head, at least it should give you half a chance.

Don't be tempted to jump gaps, re-position the boat if you have got it wrong.

Maintain a sense of humour when you have got it wrong!