The Association of End-of-Garden Moorers - The AOEOGM

homer2911

Featured Posts

As EOGM boaters, we contribute a disproportionate amount of money to CRT and it is time that this farce was addressed.

Simply because I am able to return to a home mooring - lets call it My Boat's Bit of Water or MBBOW for short - after my regular extended cruises, the amount that I pay is many hundreds of pounds more than that paid by others.

My argument is that every boat has its MBBOW, wherever it is on the system, and regardless of whether this MBBOW is in a different spot at the end of each day. My MBBOW costs CRT no more to maintain than the MBBOW occupied by any other boat, so why should I pay more.

The answer is simple - do away with the EOGM charge, and spread the resultant shortfall over the cost of every boat's licence. This will have the collosal advantage of eliminating at a stroke any debate as to whether a boat is continuously cruising or not, and will result in every boater contributing an equal share of the costs of running the system, albeit still dependent on t he size of the boat

Now, who will join me in forming the AOEOGM?

Edited by homer2911
  • Greenie 1

I have a very nice end-of-garden mooring, but currently no boat on it. Do I qualify for membership?

I'd say you'd qualify for a refund for none use!

Sorry homer, but as one who buys an EOG permit as well as pay a landlord for his online mooring, this is seems to be nothing more than a rant by you mate. I think those who use a marina will take issue at your perception of paying a "disproportinate" amount to moor their boat, be it to CRT or anyone else. I also think you'll find that your EOG permit is cheaper than a CRT run online mooring fee, so maybe you should've checked what boats on a CRT site nearest to you are paying in comparison to what you're paying & then consider that you'll undoubtably have access to far more facilities than most online moorers do. Parking, waste disposal, rubbish disposal, water, electric, etc., etc.

Think about it lad, your EOG is fantastic value in comparison & definately not a disproportinate amount.

I'd say you'd qualify for a refund for none use!

Sorry homer, but as one who buys an EOG permit as well as pay a landlord for his online mooring, this is seems to be nothing more than a rant by you mate. I think those who use a marina will take issue at your perception of paying a "disproportinate" amount to moor their boat, be it to CRT or anyone else. I also think you'll find that your EOG permit is cheaper than a CRT run online mooring fee, so maybe you should've checked what boats on a CRT site nearest to you are paying in comparison to what you're paying & then consider that you'll undoubtably have access to far more facilities than most online moorers do. Parking, waste disposal, rubbish disposal, water, electric, etc., etc.

Think about it lad, your EOG is fantastic value in comparison & definately not a disproportinate amount.

Yes, but they did use to be free

Yes, but it was an anomoly because the home owner who moored his boat was actually mooring it against BW property unless the owner could categorically prove he/she owned the canal bank, all BW did was exercise their right to charge for the priviledge. Besides, that is ancient history now, it's what is happening today that's the whole point of this thread surely?

There was a time, in the dim and distant past, when pleasure boats paid tolls, or in some cases, no tolls because the canals were for commerce. C.J Aubertin, "A Caravan Afloat" refers to this practice. And then horror of horrors, the Blue Meanies brought in licencing, so you paid even if you didn't move...

I would imagine this is your tongue in cheek response to the other lot, but If I'm wrong and you do form it successfully then, as chief executive, will you propose a CEO'SAOEOGMAGM after the first year?

Edited by johnthebridge

Well the OP made me laugh. I think he's just having an Organised Rant 'Gainst A Small Minority.

Yes, but it was an anomoly because the home owner who moored his boat was actually mooring it against BW property unless the owner could categorically prove he/she owned the canal bank, all BW did was exercise their right to charge for the priviledge. Besides, that is ancient history now, it's what is happening today that's the whole point of this thread surely?

In which case, as I can categorically prove that I own the bank that I moor my boat to, why do I have to pay CRT for the privilege? I'm not even able to offset the cost of the bank maintenance against my payments.

As EOGM boaters, we contribute a disproportionate amount of money to CRT and it is time that this farce was addressed.

Simply because I am able to return to a home mooring - lets call it My Boat's Bit of Water or MBBOW for short - after my regular extended cruises, the amount that I pay is many hundreds of pounds more than that paid by others.

My argument is that every boat has its MBBOW, wherever it is on the system, and regardless of whether this MBBOW is in a different spot at the end of each day. My MBBOW costs CRT no more to maintain than the MBBOW occupied by any other boat, so why should I pay more.

The answer is simple - do away with the EOGM charge, and spread the resultant shortfall over the cost of every boat's licence. This will have the collosal advantage of eliminating at a stroke any debate as to whether a boat is continuously cruising or not, and will result in every boater contributing an equal share of the costs of running the system, albeit still dependent on t he size of the boat

biggrin.png Luv it...........clapping.gifclapping.gif

Well the OP made me laugh. I think he's just having an Organised Rant 'Gainst A Small Minority.

In which case, as I can categorically prove that I own the bank that I moor my boat to, why do I have to pay CRT for the privilege? I'm not even able to offset the cost of the bank maintenance against my payments.

If you do own the bank right up to the water's edge, you don't have to pay CRT anything for tying up to it. That is well proven in a number of cases that have the historical documents to prove it from when the canal was originally built. A boat builder of tug style narrowboats won his case against BW, his name was something like "Bothy" I think, can't remember. The L & L has quite a few of landowners over whome CRT have no power to charge for moorings as they have riparian rights, or similar, dating back to the act that enabled the canal to be built.

If you can fulfill that level of proof, I guess all you can do is refuse to pay any more & let CRT take you to court & if you can prove your case, you should be fine. Provided you can afford the cost & hassle of taking them on. If CRT refuse to accept you own the bankside, I don't see how they can make you responsible for it's maintenance. Either you own it or they do, they can't have their cake & eat it IMO.

Its not the bank its the ground under where your boat is that is the decider.

So even though you are tied to your bank are you still floating in water that is over their land?

I don't have an EOGM but I do pay for a CaRT mooring which they don't seem to spend any money on. Who want's to join the Association Of CaRT Moorers Who's Mooring Fees Seem To Disappear Into A Black Hole?

Also known as the AOCMWMFSTDIABH, which incidentally, is also the name of a village in Anglesea.

I don't have an EOGM but I do pay for a CaRT mooring which they don't seem to spend any money on. Who want's to join the Association Of CaRT Moorers Who's Mooring Fees Seem To Disappear Into A Black Hole?

Also known as the AOCMWMFSTDIABH, which incidentally, is also the name of a village in Anglesea.

I have a lot of sympathy with your post, but over time I have come to accept that life can be financially unfair. I feel better now that I accept the situation and think of the mooring permit as charitable giving. It is a pity that CaRT can't reclaim the tax ........ they haven't yet asked for a gift aid declaration. ;-)

• Greenie 1