I had a really naughty thought yesterday

MHS

Featured Posts

While passing a Black Prince boatyard yesterday I had a wicked thought.

By jove missus, what a wonderful day to speed past at full throttle shouting "It's what your customers f***ing do to me"

Sorry an extra * needed for flipping!

Is it just me or are Black Prince hirers worse than all the others?

It's just you.

Round here it's the Wyverns doing that. When I was round the Stratford it was the AngloWelsh. Hireboaters are hireboaters, and more used to driving a car. So their idea of slow ain't the same as ours.

When we went up the ashby on the way back it was turn around day at ashby boat co.....

They had the canal almost blocked with boats....I waited for a bit but as I was totally ignored I just went for the small gap which was just possible with a fifty foot boat as they had boats on both sides of canal forming a chicane...I was glared at by all the staff...tough! If I had been spoken to or acknowledged I would have been happy to wait as I was in no rush but if that's their attitude then two can play at that game!

Quite a few boats seem to have two speeds....fast when passing moored boats and slow when going along infront of me!

Cheers

Gareth

recently we have observed that significantly fewer hire boats 'speed' past than private boats! Arrogant private owners that are the worst offenders - and even though I am a shiney boater, it is certain members of the shiney boat brigade that are the worst of the worst!

Totally agree with you there Steve.

The hire boaters, specially if they are novices, have the excuse of ignorance on their side, sometimes due to the fact that their hire base hasn't taken time to explain the do's and don'ts of boater etiquette. But the private boaters of all people should know better.

We have learned to use springed mooring lines to secure our sixty footer to the bank and have to say that most boater's ills are born from the fact that their craft is often moored in a similar fashion to that of a fairground baloon tied to a peice of string!

• Greenie 2

We have learned to use springed mooring lines to secure our sixty footer to the bank and have to say that most boater's ills are born from the fact that their craft is often moored in a similar fashion to that of a fairground baloon tied to a peice of string!

have a greenie!

While passing a Black Prince boatyard yesterday I had a wicked thought.

By jove missus, what a wonderful day to speed past at full throttle shouting "It's what your customers f***ing do to me"

Sorry an extra * needed for flipping!

Or alternatively cruise past at an appropriate speed and shout 'can you please make sure your customers know to pass like this'

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Assuming of course you do want to anything at all.

Edited by The Dog House

I find (as a recreational cruiser, not a CC) that it always takes me a few days of boating to get used to the slow speed. Trouble with hirers is that they often only have a week, so by the time their metabolism has slowed to the right pace they're driving home at thirty mph on the motorway and being cursed at by everyone there as well.

Or alternatively cruise past at an appropriate speed and shout 'can you please make sure your customers know to pass like this'

l.

But that wouldn't be wicked or naughty!!!! Edited by MHS

When we went up the ashby on the way back it was turn around day at ashby boat co.....

They had the canal almost blocked with boats....I waited for a bit but as I was totally ignored I just went for the small gap which was just possible with a fifty foot boat as they had boats on both sides of canal forming a chicane...I was glared at by all the staff...tough! If I had been spoken to or acknowledged I would have been happy to wait as I was in no rush but if that's their attitude then two can play at that game!

Quite a few boats seem to have two speeds....fast when passing moored boats and slow when going along infront of me!

Cheers

Gareth

We always found the guys at Ashby a very friendly bunch so I guess they must have been having an off day..... or perhaps it was something else?

We once saw the flip side of this (as in from a hire boater/yards perspective) when we hired from Napton returning the boat on the Saturday morning which of course has to be done by nine. A private boater came barging through refusing to cut the Napton NB guy some slack while he moored our boat end on at their yard. He almost caused a collision with his impatience.

Apparently Napton told us he made a point of coming past regularly at the same time just so he could remonstrate with hirers and the yard who may have been temporarily partially blocking the cut. You would think an experienced boater would have known the better thing to do would just be to avoid that spot at that very specific time on turnaround day but he seemed to think he knew better....

Edited by The Dog House

I find (as a recreational cruiser, not a CC) that it always takes me a few days of boating to get used to the slow speed. Trouble with hirers is that they often only have a week, so by the time their metabolism has slowed to the right pace they're driving home at thirty mph on the motorway and being cursed at by everyone there as well.

Same here. I always feel the boat's engine is about to seize. Me thinks ??, I'm sure it was like a ferrari last time I went out.

I dunno...tut, us sunday boaters.

We always found the guys at Ashby a very friendly bunch

Likewise. They are a great bunch of guys, although being very busy dealing with new boaters takes a lot of concentration

We just hung about mid canal until they had sent a couple of boats off. It took only a few minutes - the Ashby guys are very efficient

Richard

On our recent long journey I lost concentration on two occasions and forgot to slow down, in both instances I apologised, one boater smiled and said it was ok but the other one wouldn't accept my apology and had a rant!

Lol, being on the K&A I decided that rather than waste time moving the throttle, I'd settle for a constant 900 revs and just stick at that. Upon passing a nice nest of boats all breasting up at the pub, only one boat moved, and that because it obviously not tied tight. This dear old lady, staggers to the hatch and while busy shaking her head, glowered and informed me that I am not on the Trent & Mersey so why am I behaving in such a manner! I told her we were idling along and got the shakes from both her and her presumed daughter. I told them to go into "Britain's got talent" as a synchronised pair of headless chickens! :)

Well they weren't about to show anyone out as it was about 10am....they had the boats 3 abreast on their wharf nearest the bridege and the day boats on the towpath....the annoying thing was that there was space further down the wharf nearer the poly tunnel with nothing moored at all!

As I said if anyone had said " hold on a mo mate" I wouldn't have minded in the slightest but after waiting in the bridgehole for about 5 mins with just the odd glare in my direction I decided to move on...their loss as I was going to buy fuel but decided against.

Oh and I agree that it's mainly private boats that seem intent in rushing about.....

Cheers

Gareth

Well they weren't about to show anyone out as it was about 10am....they had the boats 3 abreast on their wharf nearest the bridege and the day boats on the towpath....the annoying thing was that there was space further down the wharf nearer the poly tunnel with nothing moored at all!

As I said if anyone had said " hold on a mo mate" I wouldn't have minded in the slightest but after waiting in the bridgehole for about 5 mins with just the odd glare in my direction I decided to move on...their loss as I was going to buy fuel but decided against.

Oh and I agree that it's mainly private boats that seem intent in rushing about.....

Cheers

Gareth

Given they were in the process of fuelling up and turning around their hire boats they probably appreciated that...biggrin.png

Edited by The Dog House

Given they were in the process of fuelling up and turning around their hire boats they probably appreciated that...:D

Really depends if you want to spend 10 mins getting some money from someone doesn't it....when I worked I a hire base we didnt have a problem serving customers on a turnaround day...if anything it's easier as all the kit is out and there are enough staff about to serve.

It does seem to me that having just travelled nearly 700 miles over a large part of the system that the standard of hire tuition and attitude of fleets does vary greatly. Talking to other boaters this has been confirmed...pray you don't have any cause to need to speak to a flower based hire company near rugby for any reason......

Cheers

Gareth

It's all very well complaining about hirers, but I find that most boats that speed past me when moored and make rock and roll are privately owned. Not sure if it's ignorance, arrogance, or negligence, (forgetfulness). Doesn't ruin my day, so I never make a big deal of it.

So..... Until we can be sure that no private owners will speed past moored boats, it's not really appropriate to blame hirers as a group.

Just my 2 penn'orth.

Really depends if you want to spend 10 mins getting some money from someone doesn't it....when I worked I a hire base we didnt have a problem serving customers on a turnaround day...if anything it's easier as all the kit is out and there are enough staff about to serve.

It does seem to me that having just travelled nearly 700 miles over a large part of the system that the standard of hire tuition and attitude of fleets does vary greatly. Talking to other boaters this has been confirmed...pray you don't have any cause to need to speak to a flower based hire company near rugby for any reason......

Cheers

Gareth

I do know which hireco. and exactly what you mean as it happens.wink.png

Edited by The Dog House

I think speed in general when passing moored boats has increased - maybe its because there are more boats on the system, therefore at any one time, more boats moored, so people are less inclined to slow right down.

However, waiting for a lock to be vacated on the south Oxford the other day, a private boat came out of the locks as if being chased by the Sweeney. I yelled at them to show some consideration, and got the response 'learn to tie your boat up'. It almost makes one think 'OK, if thats the rules now, get ready to be washed up on the bank when I come past you'. Fortunately they were going the opposite way!

In all seriousness, if that attitude gets to be the norm, (I understand that is the system in France?) then soon none of us need slow down at all.

I think speed in general when passing moored boats has increased - maybe its because there are more boats on the system, therefore at any one time, more boats moored, so people are less inclined to slow right down.

However, waiting for a lock to be vacated on the south Oxford the other day, a private boat came out of the locks as if being chased by the Sweeney. I yelled at them to show some consideration, and got the response 'learn to tie your boat up'. It almost makes one think 'OK, if thats the rules now, get ready to be washed up on the bank when I come past you'. Fortunately they were going the opposite way!

In all seriousness, if that attitude gets to be the norm, (I understand that is the system in France?) then soon none of us need slow down at all.

That can be an issue at locks though where boaters often just tie off quite tightly with a centre line and their boat leans somewhat when a boat passing at even reasonable speed passes... I've been shouted at once for the same reason on the T&M.

Bigger engines (average speeds have increased, I believe), tedium of slowly passing miles of online moorings, and a generally more impatient world.

Tim

Edited by Timleech