Dog poo in the canal

MHS

Featured Posts

Once in a while I see a dog owner (often boaters) shovel up their dog's business and deposit it in the cut.

I don't know whether to think urgghh that's disgusting, or whether its a drop in the ocean and doesn't matter.

If every dog owner did it, it would reinforce my thoughts of washing my hands after handling the boats ropes.

It's certainly better than bagging it, then chucking the bag to swing in the hedgerow.

What do others think?

I saw a boater flick his dog's poo into the hedge on the towpath rather than pick it up. Is this acceptable? I also know someone who has a rescue dog and discovered he will actually poo straight into he canal. - the suspect he may have once belonged to a boater.

I think it's disgusting but it does go on. The same with bagging it and slinging it into a tree/hedge. So i think both practices are as bad as each other. A 3rd practice I dislike is boaters who let their dogs on the towpath and stay cruising along on their boats with therefore no means up picking up the dog's excrement.

It's better in the bottom of a hedge than sitting in a plastic bag, either hanging from a tree or going into landfill.

As for it going in the cut - what about all the other animals? It actually gets broken down very quickly in fresh water and much of it is eaten by the fish. And the quantities are tiny compared to the volume of water.

Loads better than scraping it off your shoes or have it trodden into your boat by visitors.

• Greenie 2

I saw a boater flick his dog's poo into the hedge on the towpath rather than pick it up. Is this acceptable? I also know someone who has a rescue dog and discovered he will actually poo straight into he canal. - the suspect he may have once belonged to a boater.

I must admit I "stick and flick" where possible as recommended by the Forestry Commission. http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-6mhjxj . I am not sure about flicking it into the canal though .... I will read peoples opinions on that with interest ... I do agree the absolute worst is to bag it and then throwing the bag into a tree or hedge.

Interestingly the first canal boat i hired had a raw water toilet and the contents of the toilet were pumped straight over the side! ... That was a while ago now and things have moved on!

Nick

Edited by NickF

The problem with throwing it in the canal is it can float and is unsightly. I think it's best disposed off in hedge rows although still not a proper solution. I note there are dog poo bins on the K&A and these should be used for just one reason alone.

Dog poo carries parasites that can blind you if swallowed, this happens more to children as their more likely to come in contact with through general play, such as dog poo on kids toys such as balls that come in to contact with it. It's just a matter then of the child touching the contaminated toy and at some stage putting fingers in mouth or eating sweets with contaminated hands.

It really is incredulous that people are willing to risk young children becoming blind just because they are too lazy to pick up their dogs Sh1te.

• Greenie 2

Once in a while I see a dog owner (often boaters) shovel up their dog's business and deposit it in the cut.

I don't know whether to think urgghh that's disgusting, or whether its a drop in the ocean and doesn't matter.

If every dog owner did it, it would reinforce my thoughts of washing my hands after handling the boats ropes.

It's certainly better than bagging it, then chucking the bag to swing in the hedgerow.

What do others think?

I'm not going to engage in the debate on this one as I think the subject of dog poo and what dog owners do or don't do with it has been done to death on here....but I will say that washing your hands after you have handled your ropes could be regarded as general good practice regardless.

There could be many nasties lurking in the water other than dog poo.

Edited by The Dog House

I'm not going to engage in the debate on this one as I think the subject of dog poo and what dog owners do or don't do with it has been to death on here....but I will say that washing your hands after you have handled your ropes could be regarded as general good practice regardless.

There could be many nasties lurking in the water other than dog poo.

Too right! There aren't many times that I DON'T have some small cut somewhere on my hands, and the thought of what could be swimming about might put me off my grub! I am not a clean freak by any stretch of the imagination (the state of my coffee mugs in the shed and garage will show you that), but dirty canal water is just ripe for containing something very unpleasant indeed!

On our marina which is on a private gated island we have plenty of Dog Poo bins together with plenty of signs requesting that people "Bag it and Bin it" and signs saying "The dog poo Fairy does'nt call here" yet people still fail to clean up or bag it and leave it by the p(h side. I just despair of people (I own 2 dogs and do bag it)

Phil

On our marina which is on a private gated island we have plenty of Dog Poo bins together with plenty of signs requesting that people "Bag it and Bin it" and signs saying "The dog poo Fairy does'nt call here" yet people still fail to clean up or bag it and leave it by the p(h side. I just despair of people (I own 2 dogs and do bag it)

Phil

I have yet to meet a dog owner who does not bag it, so it must be "the dog poo fairy" that leaves it all

• Greenie 1

We've placed a sign near our mooring advising ducks, fish, swans etc., to please refrain from pooing in the cut.

My god, what next I wonder?

The difference to me is that people can do something about dog faeces contamination is we can prevent it. Secondly (and I am prepared to be corrected on this) the main threat from wildfowl currently would be salmonellosis where as toxoplasmosis is harder to deal with.

We have two dogs, one is a big dog and produces much waste products. We don't chuck it in the cut and am not keen on that, but have no problem chucking it where people don't have to walk such as in brambles etc (common sense reqd.) We do bag it too and dispose of properly, depending on the circumstances. I hate dog excrement all over the canal towpath etc where people fish, walk, cycle, moor boats etc.

That said, we were tied up in the Midlands recently, where a herd of cattle were stood in the canal defecating at will (and Will wasn't happy.) I expect it would take a great many dogs to produce the quantities that those ladies were knocking out. Then there is a lot of fox excrement about; I know because our dogs love to roll in it. We have visited places where there is a lot of horse excrement about, including canal banks, but only once have I seen somebody shovel it up (for manure on his rose bed apparently.) Why are horse owners allowed to let their animals soil in this way? They leave far more excrement behind than a dog.

I have yet to meet a dog owner who does not bag it, so it must be "the dog poo fairy" that leaves it all

I've seen a couple bag it when anybody is about, then just sling it when (they thought) nobody is looking. They piss me off because they get us all a bad name.

The problem with throwing it in the canal is it can float and is unsightly. I think it's best disposed off in hedge rows although still not a proper solution. I note there are dog poo bins on the K&A and these should be used for just one reason alone.

Dog poo carries parasites that can blind you if swallowed, this happens more to children as their more likely to come in contact with through general play, such as dog poo on kids toys such as balls that come in to contact with it. It's just a matter then of the child touching the contaminated toy and at some stage putting fingers in mouth or eating sweets with contaminated hands.

It really is incredulous that people are willing to risk young children becoming blind just because they are too lazy to pick up their dogs Sh1te.

Have a greenie (from the owner of many dogs and a few kids.)

Edited by Guest

I worry more about the amount of people who use the toilet and never wash their hands. You should think about money transfering and supermarket baskets. Not biting finger nails and washing hands frequently will help.

Within CRT, our Health and Safety policy is very strict about the risks of riverr ahd canal water contamination. One of our managers recently fell into the canal and contracted Weils diseaase. He was seriously ill in hospital for aweek or so and off work to recuperate. Weils disease is a real risk and is present in most of our waterways, especially those that pass through inhabited area. Rats and other vermin, domestic cows and I believe dogs pass this into the water anhd if people ingest the water, either through swallowing, or eating food and smoking with contaminated hands, swallowing the water etc, can lead to infection. I work near the water and with boaters ropes all day and before every occassion of eating or drinking, I will steralise my hands either by washing or using the alcohol hand rubs provided.

We have two dogs, one is a big dog and produces much waste products. We don't chuck it in the cut and am not keen on that, but have no problem chucking it where people don't have to walk such as in brambles etc (common sense reqd.) We do bag it too and dispose of properly, depending on the circumstances. I hate dog excrement all over the canal towpath etc where people fish, walk, cycle, moor boats etc.

That said, we were tied up in the Midlands recently, where a herd of cattle were stood in the canal defecating at will (and Will wasn't happy.) I expect it would take a great many dogs to produce the quantities that those ladies were knocking out. Then there is a lot of fox excrement about; I know because our dogs love to roll in it. We have visited places where there is a lot of horse excrement about, including canal banks, but only once have I seen somebody shovel it up (for manure on his rose bed apparently.) Why are horse owners allowed to let their animals soil in this way? They leave far more excrement behind than a dog.

I've seen a couple bag it when anybody is about, then just sling it when (they thought) nobody is looking. They piss me off because they get us all a bad name.

Have a greenie (from the owner of many dogs and a few kids.)

You completely miss the point. Cow dung & horse doesn't contain the harmful parasites that can cause blindness. Also cows & horses eat hay/crass where as dogs eat processed food products very similar as do humans, their poo is little different to human feces but worse in the respect it can carry toxoplasmosis.

Why do they bag it and then chuck it in a hedge? That's about the worst thing they could do!

If they're going to move it off the towpath and into a hedge to decompose then that's fine with me, but don't wrap it in plastic first!

I too have puzzled over this, but the simple answer is as my previous post; they bag it up when people are about, then sling it in the hedge/tree when they think nobody is looking. I have seen it done.

In my first year on the cut I have been amazed (and disgusted) by the amount of poo on the towpaths.

Currently on the Chesterfield where they not only have plenty of poo bins but also a supply of bags at each bin - and there is still poo on the towpath!

You completely miss the point. Cow dung & horse doesn't contain the harmful parasites that can cause blindness. Also cows & horses eat hay/crass where as dogs eat processed food products very similar as do humans, their poo is little different to human feces but worse in the respect it can carry toxoplasmosis.

Not true, I am well aware of the issues that you raise, though thank you for your concern. My dogs are wormed regularly to avoid such issues, though I can't speak for other owners. Do you really approve of walking in horse muck in the dark then treading it into your boat as I did recently? I know I don't.

In my first year on the cut I have been amazed (and disgusted) by the amount of poo on the towpaths.

Currently on the Chesterfield where they not only have plenty of poo bins but also a supply of bags at each bin - and there is still poo on the towpath!

Unfortunately some dog owners see the towpath as some sort of linear dog toilet.

Edited by Guest

We walked a half mile of canal yesterday, 2 deposits of dog poo clearly in view and fresh, loads of young kids cycling walking etc with parents who I noticed removing the poo to a safer place. we were carrying shopping, but I've removed dog shite into the hedge row on numerous occasions in the past.

There do seem to be a lot of boats with dogs on board in this area, but a lot of people dog walking too. What's annoying though it's hardly a hard task just to flick it in the hedge row or even in the numerous reeds now abundant at the canals edge.

Some people are ignorant and irresponsible though and need to be challenged.

We walked a half mile of canal yesterday, 2 deposits of dog poo clearly in view and fresh, loads of young kids cycling walking etc with parents who I noticed removing the poo to a safer place. we were carrying shopping, but I've removed dog shite into the hedge row on numerous occasions in the past.

There do seem to be a lot of boats with dogs on board in this area, but a lot of people dog walking too. What's annoying though it's hardly a hard task just to flick it in the hedge row or even in the numerous reeds now abundant at the canals edge.

Some people are ignorant and irresponsible though and need to be challenged.

I agree with everything you say, especially the last line, though that speaks of the entire human race and not just (irresponsible) dog owners.

No true, I am well aware of the issues that you raise, though thank you for your concern. My dogs are wormed regularly to avoid such issues, though I can't speak for other owners. Do you really approve of walking in horse muck in the dark then treading it into your boat as I did recently? I know I don't.

Unfortunately some dog owners see the towpath as some sort of linear dog toilet.

If that's the case then why equate horse and cow dung to dog feces wacko.png

Who's talking about your dogs?

Do you really approve of walking in horse muck in the dark then treading it into your boat as I did recently? I know I don't.

LOL I don't think anyone would approve LOL I would much sooner walk in horse and cow dung though than your or anyone elses dogs shite, that's for sure.