The funniest thing just happened.

DeanS

Featured Posts

It's 11pm at night. We're moored in Castlefield tonight. A boat just came down the Rochdale 9 ????

I have my headphones on, and cant hear anything, but the kids come running, saying..."someones knocking on the boat". I go out and see a young girl , a younger boy, and a dog. I say..."hello...can I help you..." and she says...."hello...which way to Nantwich?" in a very strong North East accent. I immediately think they're looking for a train station or something...but then she says...."which way to Runcorn???" . I very quickly realise she's asking...boat directions....and I notice the boat moored nearby...so I point down the canal and say...."that way...for an hour...then turn left!" ....and she says thanks....and off they go.....

What a hilarious thing....made my night :) ...and I must say ....the boat , although a little old....was very unique...it has double glazing house windows.../ doors...all down each side....and cut down below the gunnel...so once they're open, I reckon they must be able to get really close to the ducks.

Wish them all the best.

Isn't this a known MO for checking out if a boat is occupied or not? Together with the late night cruising, sound suss. Beware. Did you get the name of the boat and a good description of the occupants, it might be handy if something does happen in the area.

they were genuine boaters :)

I remember the day we arrived in Castlefield - having started at Portland Basin earlier that day it had been a very long day with a lot of locks and those Rochdale 9 are so hard to do it is the last straw.

There could be all manner of reasons why they needed to press on. It was good weather and a pleasant evening for cruising but arriving in Castlefields basin (especialy in the dark) it would be very easy to lose your bearings as there appear to be bits of canal heading in all directions - only when you take time in daylight to understand most of them are just an arm going nowhere much does the layout of the place start to make sense. There are so many lights it might blind your vision of any canal signs that might help too.

What a good job you had lights on so they felt able to knock without the worry of disturbing you Dean.

It's 11pm at night. We're moored in Castlefield tonight. A boat just came down the Rochdale 9 ????

I have my headphones on, and cant hear anything, but the kids come running, saying..."someones knocking on the boat". I go out and see a young girl , a younger boy, and a dog. I say..."hello...can I help you..." and she says...."hello...which way to Nantwich?" in a very strong North East accent. I immediately think they're looking for a train station or something...but then she says...."which way to Runcorn???" . I very quickly realise she's asking...boat directions....and I notice the boat moored nearby...so I point down the canal and say...."that way...for an hour...then turn left!" ....and she says thanks....and off they go.....

What a hilarious thing....made my night smile.png ...and I must say ....the boat , although a little old....was very unique...it has double glazing house windows.../ doors...all down each side....and cut down below the gunnel...so once they're open, I reckon they must be able to get really close to the ducks.

Wish them all the best.

Was the boat red?

Was the boat red?

And did it have a Dawncraft Dandy chained tight to the back?

As soon as described it I thought about the same boat NC, but I think that ones double glazed upvc windows don't cut below the level of the gunnels as Dean describes

Edited by Bazza2

Presumably Dean had lights on and the kids were making a noise. They did not need to knock to see if anyone was onboard?

Seems strange they did not know which way to go though.

I was thinking this after posting last night too, an illuminated boat is not the first choice to break into is it!

I don't know Castlefield and didn't realise it is a junction with several choices of ways to go. This puts a totally different light on it. I thought asking for directions sounded suspicious thinking they had only two options - carry on up the cut or turn round and go back the way they came. Clearly I was wrong!

MtB

I know the boat, they followed us down Marple last Thursday. We were talking to the kids, it is their uncles boat. I imagine the stoppage on the Rochdale 9 has held them up. The kids will be due in school no doubt so I guess that is why they are night cruising.

The Marple flight, lovely... Beautiful scenery,

They wouldn't have got lost. There's a choice of two wharfs on the right, one on the left or straight ahead for Preston Brook.

Or possibly you could point them at the abandoned locks on to the River Irwell. After tackling the Nine they'd probably think it was more of the same.

At least on the Bridgewater they would be able to do a decent speed if they were behind schedule.

I was thinking this after posting last night too, an illuminated boat is not the first choice to break into is it!

I don't know Castlefield and didn't realise it is a junction with several choices of ways to go. This puts a totally different light on it. I thought asking for directions sounded suspicious thinking they had only two options - carry on up the cut or turn round and go back the way they came. Clearly I was wrong!

MtB

http://goo.gl/maps/8rxqP

The map on this link shows "Bridgewater canal" in the top right but as far as I understand it, the moment you go above lock 92, you are back on CRT waters...which is the Rochdale.?

the one almost "straight on" from the bridgewater/castlefield basin. As you say it starts at the lock from the basin (which, if you look closely, is partially cut from the sandstone bedrock).

Thank you. Would the boat have just come under the Castle Street bridge? I don't know the area at all

Richard

Yes, when you exit the lock under the Castle street bridge, late at night, you would see dark canal bits heading off in multiple directions, with reflective lights on the water, loud trains shuffling overhead, people in pubs, ...it all gets a bit much for many I'm sure, especially after just doing the Rochdale 9 locks :) In reality though, there is only 1 way out...which is to continue directly ahead....and follow the railway line route....