Have I done wrong?

Darren72

Featured Posts

Yesterday while doing a bit of work to the outside of my boat while moored in the centre of Skipton a boat came within inches of our boat while avoiding a floating weed bank. The offending item got washed to the front of our boat. I proceeded to pull it into the side with my boat hook. After a few aggressive stabs I managed to break it into 3 manageable pieces as it was about 3' by 2' and get it hurled onto the path. I placed it away from the said path onto a small grass verge. Its visible from the path but NOT causing a hazard. Whats wrong with that!?

A bloke who sells frozen diary products in his floating shop asked me what I was gonna do with it? I told him nowt. He said why have I pulled it out and not left it as it would eventually rot away. I told him that it causes problems for boaters either for prop issues or for dodging it in the cut. He still insisted I shift it. I said I was going to leave it. He then started to get shirty and say that it would be left there for ever. I replied in a rather abrupt reply. Well its gonna get left then. Have I done wrong?

I later praised myself for not loosing my rag with this man who wears genitalia on his forehead.

• Greenie 4

I think what you did was completely appropriate. I think and hope that most people would have done the same.

As you say, it's a hazard to boats and you assisted by removing it.

What is the difference of this compared to cutting back a overhanging branch before it damages someone's boat or gouges an eye out?

Yesterday while doing a bit of work to the outside of my boat while moored in the centre of Skipton a boat came within inches of our boat while avoiding a floating weed bank. The offending item got washed to the front of our boat. I proceeded to pull it into the side with my boat hook. After a few aggressive stabs I managed to break it into 3 manageable pieces as it was about 3' by 2' and get it hurled onto the path. I placed it away from the said path onto a small grass verge. Its visible from the path but NOT causing a hazard. Whats wrong with that!?

A bloke who sells frozen diary products in his floating shop asked me what I was gonna do with it? I told him nowt. He said why have I pulled it out and not left it as it would eventually rot away. I told him that it causes problems for boaters either for prop issues or for dodging it in the cut. He still insisted I shift it. I said I was going to leave it. He then started to get shirty and say that it would be left there for ever. I replied in a rather abrupt reply. Well its gonna get left then. Have I done wrong?

I later praised myself for not loosing my rag with this man who wears genitalia on his forehead.

I reckon you did your bit by dragging it out, if he wasn't happy with where you left it, let him shift it!

well theres lots of floating / growing weed and overhanging branches, on route from anderton to lymm

aint CRT DOING ANYTHING...

They did a lot of offside tree cutting last year, but the reeds are a mess which seems to be ignored.

Now the floating pennywort is coming back as well.

Tim

I ran up onto one of those in the dark in an empty boat, I was lying on the counter hauling it away in chunks when a voice called from the bank. Team Rudd had noticed I was missing and had sent a squad back to investigate, what stars. They made short work of the weed island and I made it Ellesmere Port with no further bother.

These weed islands are common between Chester and the Port.

I take it his shop doesnt move so no chance it inconveniencing him left floating about.

As I'm in a widebeam, I couldnt avoid one of those floating islands, and it ended up round my prop. It took me 2 hours to cut it away. It was a few feet thick, and I had to use a wood saw with a long blade. It was a nightmare. When I got to Bingley, one of the lockies was trying to haul the stuff out manually...and load it into a skip. He said it was caused by a farmers cows chopping away the edge of his land with their hooves etc. It was all travelling down to the top of the Bingey locks in chunks causing them huge problems. We then carried on to Leeds, and on the return trip, did the Bingley locks again....when we came out the top the amount of floating islands was so much, that they had given up trying to haul it out by hand. Instead they had put a huge floating fence thing around it all, causing quite a blockage to the water point access etc.

So....good work for removing what you could....it's causing much chaos.

I think I know the floating vendor boat. He had huge eyes when I first tried to squeeze into a mooring gap the exact size of my boat...without sinking him :)