Can we learn a lesson from "CRT No Longer Wish To Meet With Boaters"

RockSodem

Featured Posts

It's a pity people aren't allowed an alternative view on this forum. It gives the skewed result of a few thinking that everyone agrees with them and that they are right. Many read but don't post, it doesn't mean they agree

My impression of the forum is that you can have an alternative view however you shouldn't be rude, bad mannered or insulting when you express it.

Well I was accused of trolling and told to fek off by one prolific poster who has declined to withdraw the remarks.

I was referring to this actual thread, and I suggest you take that up with the poster concerned or the mods. as it has nowt to do with me.

It's a pity people aren't allowed an alternative view on this forum. It gives the skewed result of a few thinking that everyone agrees with them and that they are right. Many read but don't post, it doesn't mean they agree

So what is the skewed result here then? or on the related thread? and, do you feel unable to comment oppositely?

Where has any body said an alternate view is not allowed??

I was referring to this actual thread, and I suggest you take that up with the poster concerned or the mods. as it has nowt to do with me.

No your response was to a general comment about the forum, not about this specific thread. Keep up.

No your response was to a general comment about the forum, not about this specific thread. Keep up.

No - I am telling you that my response was in regard to this particular thread, irrespective of the content of the post I responded to.

I could point you to multiple examples in other threads of where people have had their views challenged or as Sue puts it 'had their alternate view disallowed' you don't need to be on here very long to know that, it would be total folly to suggest it doesn't go on in the forum as a whole which is why I didn't suggest it.

Oh GOD! Conspiracy theories on The Cut! Please!! OK, I am using "rousing" language, but that is only because I am angry and frustrated. In a very bad fashion, it seems, I'm trying to get people (or the cut) to look back in on themselves and see themselves in the bigger picture. We, or you, bla bla bla, as boaters are not the most important thing on the canal! That is what I believe and I'm sorry. I am a boater, I am not CRT and that is what I believe. This is a forum is it not? And that is my view. I'm sorry that you think I'm hiding behind anonymity, but I am employed on the canal (NOT CRT or anything even closely resembling that), so I have my job to look out for. My view are my own view.

Scuse me but can I just point out that in your first post of this subject you did say

"I want nothing to do with it.. I will keep this short"

Well I was accused of trolling and told to fek off by one prolific poster who has declined to withdraw the remarks.

Well I for one think that was TOTALLY out of order (and uncharacteristic of) the poster who ranted at you. Bizarre!

I am a massive advocate of boats on the canal, it's navigation and maintaining the "heritage". But what is the "heritage"? A canal for the miserable, illiterate families living on their boats in the past. A canal for rich (I know... sweeping statement) boaters, their custom tugs and their vintage engines, or for boats hauled by horse carrying coal (none of those)? Or people using it as a form of affordable housing? Or giving access to the millions that were denied access for decades and decades as it was private property, polluted in many areas when it was working. Who has the right? Who has the voice?? Heritage? It was a dirty, closed off cut. Who, of many of the boater on here, got their hands dirty restoring the canal going through their local community? I am sure there are some..... But many who got their hands dirty restoring the canals, weren't thinking wholly about boats. They were thinking about the "amenity" that was going through their community. The sooner boaters began to realise that they are not the "raison d'etre" the better, and the quicker the CRT and other authorities may start to come onside and take them a little more seriously. Boaters have to understand that the canals are not about boats anymore and quite frankly, boats disappeared out the equation 90 years ago. Get over it, and work with the CRT and understand that their agenda is bigger than yours.

You need to be more correct with your information before you gain any respect here. I knew many old boatmen, and none were either miserable or illiterate, and the insinuation it is pretty insulting to their memory. During the over forty years I have been on canals, I have met many boaters who are not rich, and seen very very few who treat it as affordable housing. Pollution? If a canal was polluted there would very quickly be a closure notice, as with the Bradford Canal. With a slow-flow, canal water has to be clean. And as to access, people have always used the towpath, even when they were private property. Towpaths may have been closed off once a year to protect their private status, but the public were rarely told to keep out. As for commercial boats using the canal, they carried on in significant numbers into the 1960s. Before you try to talk about canal history and heritage again, do try to get your facts correct. If you don't no one will treat any other statements you make as other than ill-informed.

• Greenie 1

You need to be more correct with your information before you gain any respect here. I knew many old boatmen, and none were either miserable or illiterate, and the insinuation it is pretty insulting to their memory. During the over forty years I have been on canals, I have met many boaters who are not rich, and seen very very few who treat it as affordable housing. Pollution? If a canal was polluted there would very quickly be a closure notice, as with the Bradford Canal. With a slow-flow, canal water has to be clean. And as to access, people have always used the towpath, even when they were private property. Towpaths may have been closed off once a year to protect their private status, but the public were rarely told to keep out. As for commercial boats using the canal, they carried on in significant numbers into the 1960s. Before you try to talk about canal history and heritage again, do try to get your facts correct. If you don't no one will treat any other statements you make as other than ill-informed.

For clarity, although it's a long time since I last met Pluto, this is him being pretty bloody annoyed.

In addition: my recollection of the working parties in the 70's and 80's are that they were very much with a view to getting boats moving again. I don't recall seeing any members of the Ramblers Association in the bottom of locks.

Edited by twbm

I first read that as alternator view...

Quick lads, gather round. These two girls are gonna be mud-wrestling each other soon :)

MtB

I'd rather not. Have only just got showered after spending three hours getting down and dirty with the Volvo lump!