:-( Rufford :-(

Rufford

Featured Posts

Personally, I don't think we should be discussing this at all!

Ok, two people have been disappointed in buying this boat. I don't think that gives the forum the right to do down the vendors.

Richard

What tosh if I may be so bold.

You have been around here long enough to know this is a legitimate forum discussion point.

At least one of the prospective buyers wasn't just dissapointed but has been badly let down by the vendor without any explanation.

For me if I was ever in the market for a boat like this I personally now know to stay well clear of this one.

I can see that, I agree with it too.

I'm not sure about making suggestions on how Steve at Brinklow should act, or speculating on the vendors, their roles as executors, the behaviours of other beneficiaries, the mooring status of the boat or any other stuff is actually any of our business

It's very easy for groups to turn on people who are seen as 'the enemy'. Beyond turning down two offers, one in an unpleasant way, what have the vendors done that gives us the right to fetch the pitchforks and flaming torches?

Richard

What tosh if I may be so bold.

You have been around here long enough to know this is a legitimate forum discussion point.

At least one of the prospective buyers wasn't just dissapointed but has been badly let down by the vendor without any explanation.

For me if I was ever in the market for a boat like this I personally now know to stay well clear of this one.

So, when the vendors open an account and tell us their side of the story, what then?

Richard

Leaving all that has gone on for a minute if you can.

If you saw an unconverted GU motor for sale, the metal work of which had been totally restored by Simon Wain inc a fully rivetted back cabin and engine room together with a brand new Lister HA with a proper gearbox how much would that be worth? Given both of you for your own reasons want a full conversion and Alan especially wants it to be turnkey what is that worth for the metal work alone? and even if the fit out is rubbish it apparently functions so we will throw that in. That to me looks at the least £55,000, as the price of an unconverted GU motor repaired done by any Tom Dick or Harry is around £45000 and all the other stuff must be £10000, well perhaps £7 or 8000 although I realise that conversion does devalue motors in most cases.

Battersea, at the other end of the scale apparently went for over £90000 when it last sold admittedly a while ago.

I hope I'm allowed to discuss the boat, if not the vendor!

The above is not really a fair comparison, in my view.

The "new" steelwork is 13 or more years old. I have no doubt knowing who did it that it was done well, but it is often felt that new steel doesn't last half as well as the original stuff, so can't legitimately be compared to a boat recently refooted and rebottomed, IMO.

Also below the Wain's "super straight" cabin and gunwales, this is one of the most bent "Grand Unions" I have ever seen, and I was told that a lot of work had to go into getting the top straight, even though the bottom is nothing like. Described as "a boat you would certainly never want to try deconverting!". I''m not suggesting it is in any way unsound, but there are much straighter examples - in fact just about any other one is a much straighter example!

The almost unused HR2 can either be treated as a plus point, if reliability is your bag, or a negative point if you want something "correct" for the boat, but will certainly not be to everybody's taste, and I would expect to pay more for a "Grand Union" wth a well restored National or RN.

The boat needs significant money spent on it, and everything from the Kitchen back needs ripping out and doing again.

Beyond turning down two offers, one in an unpleasant way, what have the vendors done that gives us the right to fetch the pitchforks and flaming torches?

That's not what has happened though is it?

Unless he is telling us "porkies" they accepted "Rufford's" offer, (the same day he viewed it, I think), and he firmly thought he had it in the bag.

I'm pretty certain I know what has occurred since to make them change their minds, but I'm not discussing that publicly.

Whatever has happened, what they have done, (to "Rufford"), is indefensible, in my view.

I can see that, I agree with it too.

I'm not sure about making suggestions on how Steve at Brinklow should act, or speculating on the vendors, their roles as executors, the behaviours of other beneficiaries, the mooring status of the boat or any other stuff is actually any of our business

It's very easy for groups to turn on people who are seen as 'the enemy'. Beyond turning down two offers, one in an unpleasant way, what have the vendors done that gives us the right to fetch the pitchforks and flaming torches?

Richard

So, when the vendors open an account and tell us their side of the story, what then?

Richard

Then we will (well I will) be interested in their side of the story.

I don't see any 'pitch forks and torches' BTW just a discussion, yes some perhaps unhelpful speculation but that is the way things often work on here.

I did go and look at Columba a couple of months back. It was priced in the 20k's...I did take some interior pictures as well, lovely hull, very historic, not many marine PD3's about.

Bloody hell Alan, get down there :) unless of course Graham has bought it. A good winter project :D

Ah! Alan, you are right as always. Not having seen the boat I assumed (always dangerous) that it had pristine steework and a not very good fit out. Seems you bid about right in my view esp. with that engine. I had it in my head that it was an HA. Mr Rufford got a bit carried away I feel now. Still I know what that is like, I always do it

Another problem with full length conversions is that unless you have xray eyes it is virtually impossible to know the state of the knees etc.

Aren't they all?

No, no more tha miserable, grumpy old gits.

Good luck finding your Woolwich/Northwich. I'm guessing that a converted butty wouldn't be to your liking? There are a couple on Apollo Duck.

We were in your position (looking for a converted full length historic Grand Union boat, not getting an offer renaged on, thankfully) about 6 months ago, so I feel for you.

All I can say is that the right boat will come along. Are you an HNBC member? In the end we had most of the membership on the lookout for a converted boat for us, having put the word about. Also, lots of old boats never come on the open market and it's only by word of mouth that you will hear about them. In the end we bought a converted Severner, rebottomed three years ago, for a ridiculously good price (only advertised in the HNBC mag) not a Grand Union boat at all, it just goes to show you never know what's round the corner!

Edited by Black Ibis

Little update for you all, I have increased the offer to 58k with everything on board and the license, the lovely charming wonderfull lady has come back and stated 58k with no license...so I said yes (cant be arsed arguing over 600/700 quid). And not only has she not replied but she is also blanking phone calls. I just cant believe that im offering to pay vastly over the odds and she is STILL dragging her heels.

Little update for you all, I have increased the offer to 58k with everything on board and the license, the lovely charming wonderfull lady has come back and stated 58k with no license...so I said yes (cant be arsed arguing over 600/700 quid). And not only has she not replied but she is also blanking phone calls. I just cant believe that im offering to pay vastly over the odds and she is STILL dragging her heels.

Well your persistence and willingness to pay'over the odds' is probably an indication of how keen you are and how much you like and want the boat. Lets hope it pays off this time.

You have more patience than I would in the same situation that's for sure..... I would have walked days ago.

Good luck!

I am waiting for her to call me and tell me she would also like the shirt off my back, the shoes I am wearing and a 20% cut of any 'profit' if I ever sell the boat.

Oh and no doubt I'll be asked to pay £4k for the engine upon on completion.

Maybe I'm a touch cynical, but this smacks of 'someone' who wants this boat telling the vendor to get the best price she can, and 'then I'll give you £xx over that'. My suspicious mind could sugest someone but I wouldn't on a forum.

I hope I'm wrong and you get the boat you have set your heart on - as the dog says, you have way more patience than either him or me.

I can't believe you are hanging on in there, I would buy a good straight boat and stick an undercloth conversion on it. Make sure the gunnels don't leak you can do the whole lot in timber and the jobs a good un. Anybody later on can take it all off and the boat is back to original .

I'm hanging fire on mine in case I decide to sell up and do something else.

Tell her to stick it up her arse. There's bound to be more boats coming up for sale soon. Lets hope they never sell it and it ends up costing them money.

Darren

58k for a twisted boat?

Madness.

You could have this

http://abnb.co.uk/boat_pages/2482web/2482abnb.php?BoatID=2482

And make just how you want it.

Lovely boats, well maintained, by a great owner, it will be sad to see Peter off the waterways.

Banstead and Bodmin may be coming onto the market soon if anyone is interested! Still early days, but the right offer will be considered

Edited by BenC