Whilton Brokerage

sueb

Featured Posts

When I visited them as a potential buyer, I was given a key and told to go and look around for myself. This was fine for me, but wouldn't suit everyone. When I went back to ask if we could have the engine started, I was told that this was possible if 'I was really serious' They started the engine and it was fine - I then asked if it was possible to arrange a test run and was told that this was only possible if I paid a deposit. Why would anyone place a deposit on a boat without having steered it?

On that basis, we walked away and I decided that if we ever came to sell our boat, I would not go there!

Has anyone experience of selling a boat through Whilton Marina?

Sueb

If you are happy with anybody wandering around your boat unsupervised by somebody from the brokerage then go for it.

Their sales literature and presentation is not up to the likes of Rugby or ABNB.

When I visited them as a potential buyer, I was given a key and told to go and look around for myself. This was fine for me, but wouldn't suit everyone. When I went back to ask if we could have the engine started, I was told that this was possible if 'I was really serious' They started the engine and it was fine - I then asked if it was possible to arrange a test run and was told that this was only possible if I paid a deposit. Why would anyone place a deposit on a boat without having steered it?

On that basis, we walked away and I decided that if we ever came to sell our boat, I would not go there!

My experience as well. I said if I paid a deposit so I could take the boat for a spin, and decided its not for me, on what conditions would I get my deposit back. The reply was somewhat suprisingly if the survey showed it would not stay afloat or words to that effect. I walked away from what seemed at the time an ideal boat.

Martyn

If you are happy with anybody wandering around your boat unsupervised by somebody from the brokerage then go for it.

Their sales literature and presentation is not up to the likes of Rugby or ABNB.

The above boat sellers only sell tidy boats, not boats that need some tlc. :-(

When I was looking they were very reluctant to give out information unless you said you really wanted the boat. After my third visit I felt they were a little tired of me asking questions. The guy even raised an eye brow as I got myself a coffee and said that the boat I was looking at had loads of interest and it would be best to give a deposit. I felt pressed so walked away.

When I was looking they were very reluctant to give out information unless you said you really wanted the boat. After my third visit I felt they were a little tired of me asking questions. The guy even raised an eye brow as I got myself a coffee and said that the boat I was looking at had loads of interest and it would be best to give a deposit. I felt pressed so walked away.

Our experience was that they were actually very helpful and whilst we did self-view about 20 boats I can understand why they do it this way otherwise they'd need 10+ sales staff in the office on a weekend. Once we'd shortlisted a couple of boats they did then run the engine etc and we were happy to pay a deposit pending a survey - the deal was that if the required work would prevent the boat being insured and the seller would not cover the cost then the deposit would be returned in full.

The upshot was that the survey showed a full overplating would be required and the seller wouldn't come down by anything like the right amount so we got our deposit back.

At the end of the day they are a sales business just like car sales or an estate agent and the primary focus is profit. Like it or not their business model does seem to work quite well for them.

Edited by Psycloud

The above boat sellers only sell tidy boats, not boats that need some tlc. :-(

I guess it depends how much TLC !

I can confirm Dominic at Rugby Boat Sales will consider stuff that is less than 100% shiney!

My experience as well. I said if I paid a deposit so I could take the boat for a spin, and decided its not for me, on what conditions would I get my deposit back. The reply was somewhat suprisingly if the survey showed it would not stay afloat or words to that effect. I walked away from what seemed at the time an ideal boat.

Martyn

Venetian Marina are part of the same company and the contract they use seems to be very restrictive. I think it says the deposit would only be refundable if a surveyor subsequently discovered any items which would lead to the boat not complying with the BSS. So if the surveyor found the hull to be unacceptably thin or pitted, you would not get your money back. I may have this wrong but certainly compared to other brokers I have dealt with it looks like there's a lot of strings attached.

In my view, it is for the buyer and seller to agree the conditions under which the deposit is refundable and if the vendor is being too restrictive then you have to walk away.

We came down the Buckby flight with a guy who seemed very happy to sell his boat through them, they do certainly seem to have a reasonable turn over of boats.

A bit like going to a second hand car lot rather than a main dealer but that is not necessarily bad dependant upon the value of your boat.

Edited by Tuscan

Have to say my experience at Great Heywood was excellent. Bryan of sales Showed me round any of the boats I want to see would start engines and there contract states if the survey finds repaired to the value of 10 percent or more of the selling price, I could walk away with deposit back or renegotiate price.

Edited by davidc

Have to say my experience at Great Heywood was excellent. Bryan of sales Showed me round any of the boats I want to see would start engines and there contract states if the survey finds repaired to the value of 10 percent or more of the selling price, I could walk away with deposit back or renegotiate price.

So even on a £20,000 boat, unless the surveyor finds at least £2,000 worth of work you are locked into the sale???

I visited Whilton when looking at boats. They couldn't answer any questions I had about the boat I was interested in and told me they could get the answers for me if I was really interested. With out knowing the answers I didn't know if I was "really interested" or not so told them to forget about it. They didn't seem to have any interest in selling the boats at all.

I would definitely recommend Great Haywood from a buyers perspective. When I had questions they couldn't answer they called up the owner and asked him while I waited, and were much more professional than Whilton.

Edited by Delta9

It looks like if Wiltons take note of half the comments posted then they could double the amount of boats they sold.

I certainly think both the brokers mentioned should review their policy on deposits. There is one very well known and highly reputable broker who operate a fully refundable deposit policy, and that is the way it should be done.

The purpose of a deposit, in my view, is twofold. First, if I ask you to take your boat off the market it is reasonable to expect some financial commitment as a sign of good faith - otherwise what does the seller do if he/she doesn't hear from me for a fortnight? Parting with a nominal payment is an incentive to continue with the transaction. Second, if I have the boat surveyed, agree the terms of the sale and the date of handover, then on the day of completion I back out, there is some compensation for the seller.

But to make the refund of a deposit conditional is, in my view, unethical, maybe even illegal, unless it is clear that it is the down payment on a sale already agreed. If, after paying my deposit, I subsequently find something out about the boat I'm not happy with - quite possible - or, the surveyor doesn't give it as glowing a report as I'd hoped, I'd expect to get my money back, no questions asked.

From a brokers point of view, surely anyone who puts down a deposit and then pays several hundred pounds to get the boat surveyed clearly isn't a time waster and doesn't deserve treating as such.

From a brokers point of view, surely anyone who puts down a deposit and then pays several hundred pounds to get the boat surveyed clearly isn't a time waster and doesn't deserve treating as such.

Very true, I would also want to have spoken to the vendor before parting with cash and booking survey etc

I was a potential buyer, not seller, but Braunston gave me the keys to 3 £60k plus boats and let me walk round on my own. The salesman had never seen me before and I was very surprised. I would not have been happy if I was selling any of them.

It did give me the chance to see 'the neatest boat in the world' at my leisure - which allowed me to decide that very neat boats just don't do it for me.

So even on a £20,000 boat, unless the surveyor finds at least £2,000 worth of work you are locked into the sale???

sorry check contract it was 5 percent and I must say if you happy with the boat to the having it taken out and surveyed 5 percent repairs should not put you off

Went to Whilton the other day, the staff not that helpful. Some Marinas are brilliant and really try to sell their boats and then theres .....Whilton.

I was at Whilton about a year ago and m'be I just got lucky with the member of staff I delt with.

He looked at my wish list, gave me some keys and let me get on with it adding that boat 'Z' didn't tick to many of my boxes but thought it might suit me so bunged me the keys to that as well.

He was right and I spent (literaly) hours onboard with no hard sell, er....no selling. On returning to the office he had most of the answers to my (in those days ill informed & bordering on stupid) questions. Pitty my house sale went belly up the same day.

I'll be at Whilton, along with a number of other marinas, again this week and hope the same guy is still about. Their buissiness model might not be to everyones taste but as a potential buyer, I like it.

Taslim.

Edit. Add a word to make sence.

Edited by Taslim

I must admit, as a potential buyer, I quite liked being left alone to look over a boat.

But I did have a good idea what I was looking at, it would not be of much use to someone with little experience of boats.

Not sure that I would be quite so keen if I were the current owner.