Bristol - Any Recomendations On Where To Go And What To See

Dr Bradley

Featured Posts

Head up Park St, halfway up on the left is Brandon Hill. There is a folly called Cabot Tower in the middle of the park that is free to walk up. Amazing views from the top.

Take a walk up Corn St look around St Nicholas market, see the bollards called nails that are the origin of "hitting the nail on the head".

Find the Old Duke close to Baldwin St for Jazz.

Find some of the oldest pubs in King St, close to the Georgian Queen square including the Llandoger Trow, where Daniel Defoe is reported to have met Alexander Selkirk.

Take a walk to Clifton and the suspension bridge, explore the steep lanes and roads around Hotwells and Clifton wood (tiose painted houses you can see from the harbour)

If you want to sample some local Cider you could do worse than try the Coronation Tap in Clifton.

I'm sure others will have more to add.....

Edited by JDR

Depends what you like to do and see.

The museum in the "M shed" on the other side of the harbour is good, and a good view from the top..

I would walk all around the harbour, the sea lock and river are quite dramatic (especially at low tide).

The boatyard at the end is good, though not sure if the blacksmith has been replaced.

The restored railway is lovely, some wonderful wagons.

Pop into "the Grain Barge", good beer and the best chips I have ever had.

If you like the more alternative side of town then a reasonable walk will get you to Stokes Croft/Gloucester Road and whatever your views on Graffiti you will surely be impressed.

Maybe a longer walk up to Clifton village.

Have a ride on a waterbus...

Bristol is the second best city on the waterway, just behind Liverpool!

...............Dave

Dr B, tomorrow at 4pm I'm off on a trip with the Bristol Ferry Company from SSGB that heads for water you won't be able to do on your boat: I'm off up "The Cut" the route the Avon now takes around the Floating Harbour.

http://www.bristolferry.com/publicTrips.php

They may have seats left, they did when I booked on Wednesday last week.

Blackrose may be right about the fee. I was going to add to this thread about the cost. the last time we were there our 60ft boat was £18 ppn, and we thought that was daylight robbery. Services are thin on the ground at that price.

Bristol is great though, take your time and see a lot.

Bob

Dr B, tomorrow at 4pm I'm off on a trip with the Bristol Ferry Company from SSGB that heads for water you won't be able to do on your boat: I'm off up "The Cut" the route the Avon now takes around the Floating Harbour.

http://www.bristolferry.com/publicTrips.php

They may have seats left, they did when I booked on Wednesday last week.

I looked at the website ad sounds good. I'll see if any seats are left tomorrow.

I'm off out now and will look for some of these places (but not the jazz - I'm strictly folkie) Thanks for the replies.

If you have any kids with you, take them to the Techniquest-style hands-on science centre near the main marina

The copy of the Matthew Cabot is great too.

If you have bicycles you can ride the Bristol-Bath cyclepath (old railway track) with steam railway halfway and some great pubs along the way.

Bristol has more great pubs than you can shake a stick at, including, the already mentioned, 'Grain Barge', a floating real ale restaurant, moored opposite the SS Great Britain

Hope you have a great time.

Edited by Chop!

I am not really doing Bristol justice, as spent 2 months supply of beer tokens at Portishead I'm reluctant to spend much more this month. I've walked around the docks and enjoyed seeing the boats. I called at the M Shed but it was a screaming cacophony of kids so left.. I managed a pint at the Grain Boat, and intended to finish my evening at the Cottage but it shut as I got there at 10;30. I've had a wander around town and seen the Graffiti area.

I'd have liked to visit the SS Great Britain but declined the entry fee. So now I'm off to Bath or somewhere.

I

Take a walk up Corn St look around St Nicholas market, see the bollards called nails that are the origin of "hitting the nail on the head".

Actually cash on the nail

:)

The Nova Scotia serves outstanding food, in belt bothering portions, at decent prices.

Pronounced "Noval Scotial"

:)

Good place, I used to drink there with Prunella Ransome.

If I can hijack this thread a little bit please.....

We go to Bristol about once a year if we can, we love the place, the only problem (apart from the cost) is that we haven't really found any good pubs within walking distance of the harbour (except for the Grain Barge).

I like to go to the pub to drink real ale rather than to eat, and I like to take the dog with me (she likes the pub and does not like getting left behind on the boat).

Can the good forum provide a list of pubs please!

..............Dave

The Nova Scotia is a proper pub, what sells food. Three real ales and 'proper' cider. The locals are friendly. The food is very good, but this is not a 'gastro pub' that sells a few beers, like the George in Bathampton.

The pub is next to the old entrance lock, around the corner from the Underfall boatyard.

Oh, and dogs are welcome, there were several present during our visits.

Edited by luctor et emergo

It is a bit of a stretch but try The Cornubia. A hidden gem by the central fire station. Temple Street. Well worth the effort for real ale enthusiasts. Usually loads of beers available. You won't believe it has survived , surrounded by modern buildings, which will be gone long before it does. Cheers.

the only real pub left around the harbour is the orchard just by the ss great britain its tucked away but just ask a local nearby and though i"ve lived here all my life i"ve never heard the nova called the nova scotial even though some of my mates go there most monday nights for the open mic nights and if you want outstanding food the pump house across the road from the nova has no equal in that area by a long way hope that helps