Very pleasant mooring in Northants

Dominic M

Featured Posts

She seemed pleasant enough - a headmistress by profession. It is a nice place and attractive secure online rural moorings which give you a view and privacy are fairly rare. But don't shoot the messenger. I just thought it might be of interest to someone. if you present your maths to them perhaps they may prove open to negotiation. Who knows?

even at minimum wage payment comparison this is more than all apart from the most popular london moorings either the person dos not know how much a mooring is normally cost or they wants a domestic servant and not to pay for one!

Edited by Solifuga

Sadly with a business head on, this seems a bit of a one sided deal.

52 weeks x 20 hours = 1040 hours

A typical mooring is say £2800 pa.

This equates to an hourly rate of around £2.70 per hour. I know they are throwing in a few veggies, and a hookup, but that won't add up to much.

If you employ an aupair you are expected to pay around this rate for these hours. But then give full bed, board and other expenses.

• Greenie 1

Sadly with a business head on, this seems a bit of a one sided deal.

52 weeks x 20 hours = 1040 hours

A typical mooring is say £2800 pa.

This equates to an hourly rate of around £2.70 per hour. I know they are throwing in a few veggies, and a hookup, but that won't add up to much.

If you employ an aupair you are expected to pay around this rate for these hours. But then give full bed, board and other expenses.

You forgot the 5 hours a week dog-walking so 1300 hours at £2.15 per hour. And then you'd still have to earn actual money somewhere.

I don't think I'd like the loose your job/loose your home possibly on a whim scenario either.

Still, money isn't everything and it could suit a family with young kids and a working father very well.

Is it a residential mooring I wonder?

Edited by boathunter

Is it a residential mooring I wonder?

Would the land the mooring is on not have residential planning permission by virtue of the fact that it is a residence?

Edited to add: Considering my former profession I really should know the answer...but I don't.

Edited by carlt

I wondered about holidays .... sounds like you might not get much cruising done! No casting off the lines and chugging gently off into the distance for a few weeks. Maybe, when the family away, you could pet sit by taking the dogs off on the boat!

There is one way that this could be made into the sort of deal which would have people queueing up for it. If the people who were wanting the staff actually had a boat on the mooring for the staff to move into. Of course that would mean a lot more outlay and responsibility for them but there are thousands of people around the world would jump at the chance of living there and doing the tasks associated with the job - at just 20 hours a week it leaves them lots of time to do other things that could bring in some money.

Following the comments made I have contacted Becky and explained that to most it doesn't seem such a great proposition when you do the numbers. She is going to rethink the proposal with her husband as she had no idea what a mooring in this area might cost. She asked if I would remove the topic while they have a rethink, which I cannot do because it is not in my power to do so, but, as they say, watch this space.