Good ol' fashioned canal rage

Chris Pink

Featured Posts

Still can't make sense of the original story, or why you obviously think it's a) clever and b)funny. You go past a queue of boats waiting for a lock, moor up right by the lock and then complain that they think you are queue jumping? If the lock is shut for a while, I presume they are all tied up, so you are in an identical situation except you're on what would in the UK be the lock mooring?

Looks like sheer arrogance and deliberate rudeness to me, and I'm not at all surprised by the reaction you got. Luckily, you met some people who didn't suffer from the same complaints and bothered to be polite.

• Greenie 4

I think 'chatte' may be the word you seek?

So you'll call me a xxxx in french but you wouldn't do it in English?

Still can't make sense of the original story, or why you obviously think it's a) clever and b)funny. You go past a queue of boats waiting for a lock, moor up right by the lock and then complain that they think you are queue jumping? If the lock is shut for a while, I presume they are all tied up, so you are in an identical situation except you're on what would in the UK be the lock mooring?

Looks like sheer arrogance and deliberate rudeness to me, and I'm not at all surprised by the reaction you got. Luckily, you met some people who didn't suffer from the same complaints and bothered to be polite.

Bless. You like things in neat rows do you? you are incapable of working out who is next in line or who is due to go up the lock? You'd see a boat go past and immediately get on your pathetic high horse "oh he must be queue jumping".

Where do you get this queue in a neat line for locks rubbish from? I'll moor my boat where it's safe and there's space. And if there happens to be a bit of shade while I have lunch great. And if it annoys your sense of propriety and neat lines of boats waiting in turn, then tough.

I will excuse your ignorance about lock moorings because you obviously haven't been there. As I say, there were 6 boats waiting plus the other 2 that went up with me, I had pleasant conversations with all of them except one. You would obviously be that one.

If you want to boat looking for confrontation, you'll find it. I boat to have a relaxing good time, And that, is exactly what I did. At no inconvenience to anyone else.

If you have a problem with that then that says far more about you than it does about me.

Edited by Lady Muck
swearing

So you'll call me a xxxx in french but you wouldn't do it in English?

Bless. You like things in neat rows do you? you are incapable of working out who is next in line or who is due to go up the lock? You'd see a boat go past and immediately get on your pathetic high horse "oh he must be queue jumping".

Where do you get this queue in a neat line for locks rubbish from? I'll moor my boat where it's safe and there's space. And if there happens to be a bit of shade while I have lunch great. And if it annoys your sense of propriety and neat lines of boats waiting in turn, then tough.

I will excuse your ignorance about lock moorings because you obviously haven't been there. As I say, there were 6 boats waiting plus the other 2 that went up with me, I had pleasant conversations with all of them except one. You would obviously be that one.

If you want to boat looking for confrontation, you'll find it. I boat to have a relaxing good time, And that, is exactly what I did. At no inconvenience to anyone else.

If you have a problem with that then that says far more about you than it does about me.

OY!!! SHUT IT!

Edited by Lady Muck
stop quoting the swearing!
  • Greenie 1

I have seen this done on UK canals, often by GRP cruisers who can usually moor closer to the lock for various reasons. We once had a very small narrowboat and would do similar. That said, we would make it clear what our intentions were, which I suggest helps to avoid any confusion/confrontation. Many things that kick off are often a result of a simple misunderstanding.

If anybody shouts Oi! or similar at me, I just shut my hearing aids off.

Is that why your boats have such a bad reputation? Because you don't know the courteous way to hail another boat?

I don't believe the boats have any sort of reputation.

You could however educate us by answering the question.

I don't believe the boats have any sort of reputation.

You could however educate us by answering the question.

I ahve heard peeps complain that you don't slow down sufficiently when passing moored boats. I expect this is what Chris means.

"Ex-working boats think they own the cut". A common complaint and not necessarily about you in particular.

MtB

MtB

If that's you best way of telling somebody they are standing into danger then your communication skills in the real world are a lot worse than they are on here.

Yeahbut, are you going to crash your boat into a weir like a d*ckhead 'cause you're picky about someone's communication skills in the heat of the moment? rolleyes.gif

Ye gods! You're the one motoring right past a queue of waiting boats by a lock without communicating a single word of explanation. At least they other guy attempted *some* sort of communication.

As for your other point. If someone, in front of another 6 boats wants to have a go at me then I will choose the time and place. And that was once I was moored up. Three people spoke to me after that, only one was confrontational, the other two were happy to have a normal conversation.

Three other people spoke to you? Only one other was confrontational? <facepalm> unsure.png

So you're another I can come up you and go "OY" and you'll respond positively. yeah right.

Unless motivations are entirely selfish, the better thing to do might be to respond but call them out on it and politely but firmly suggest the different ways they could respectfully get people's attention in future.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete
  • Greenie 1

Look back at his posting style.

Does it surprise you that he would do something that was capable of misinterpretation, then find some excuse to wind others up about it.

• Greenie 2

Yeahbut, are you going to crash your boat into a weir like a d*ckhead 'cause you're picky about someone's communication skills in the heat of the moment? rolleyes.gif

Ye gods! You're the one motoring right past a queue of waiting boats by a lock without communicating a single word of explanation. At least they other guy attempted *some* sort of communication.

Three other people spoke to you? Only one other was confrontational? <facepalm> unsure.png

Unless motivations are entirely selfish, the better thing to do might be to respond but call them out on it and politely but firmly suggest the different ways they could respectfully get people's attention in future.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

1. No.I was perfectly aware of what he wanted to say, in your scenario I would take action first. As the intention in your scenario was benign (unlike this one) I wouldn't have an issue with the communication other than to privately observe that your communications skills were pretty crap.

2. No, exactly one person was rude / confrontational, all others that day were pleasant.

3. That's exactly what I did do once I moored up. Without raising my voice. I am not going to indulge geezer's pomposity in front of an audience.

As I have respect for you Pete, unlike most of the other plonkers who are having a greenie fest seeing who can flick their knob cheese furthest, I will ask you to turn the tale around. If I come on here and said "a boat went passed a line of waiting boats" (let's drop this 'queue' crap) at a lock closed for lunch and I shouted at him but he ignored me. I went up to him and shouted at him again but he was rude to me and then had the temerity to sit there and have lunch instead of telling each and every one of us his intentions" - your sympathy would have been with me?

And, even if I had wanted to mollify instead of ignore said gentleman, I would have struggled to control my boat and explain over the noise of the engine my exact intentions in French. I did what I though best, moored first and afterwards reassured the polite ones politely and the rude one with disdain.

Look back at his posting style.

Does it surprise you that he would do something that was capable of misinterpretation, then find some excuse to wind others up about it.

What's interesting is that I'd heard that Chris was actually a really nice person in the flesh, it was just his posting style that made him seem aggressive and confrontational. However, that does now seem harder to believe!

I treat as I find Nick. Pompous fools and idiots get just as short shrift in real life as I give them here.

I wonder what you're like for real?

So do you regard idiots as fair game for abuse, is it their fault they are idiots? I tend to agree about the pompous fools though!

But Oh to know what others really think of us!

If I had been in that situation (and I have been in a similar one) I would have explained what I was doing before the "Oy" came. Similarly if i had been Monsieur I would have prefixed my query with "excuse me but ..." As has been said, it takes 2 to have an argument. And the French, especially those from Paris) are probably ruder than the English to strangers, its their culture.

Excuse me for contradicting you (I do so hate doing) but you wouldn't. These aren't those cute little English hire boats these are great monster things usually with 6 to 8 people aboard and the canal is big and wide. You would have done exactly what I did (or was intending to do) moor up and then explain to anyone who was worried that I wasn't interested in their queue, purely this inviting tree. To whom exactly would you have explained? And how would you have stopped your mooring manoeuvre mid-flight to make those explanations?

I understand that baiting me is your favourite pastime but I'm afraid in this instance you're out of luck. I got no approbation from the witnesses who were there and I am satisfied that I acted reasonably and properly except that I teased one pompous idiot. If you behave like a pompous idiot in my presence, expect the same.

Excuse me for contradicting you (I do so hate doing) but you wouldn't. These aren't those cute little English hire boats these are great monster things usually with 6 to 8 people aboard and the canal is big and wide. You would have done exactly what I did (or was intending to do) moor up and then explain to anyone who was worried that I wasn't interested in their queue, purely this inviting tree. To whom exactly would you have explained? And how would you have stopped your mooring manoeuvre mid-flight to make those explanations?

I understand that baiting me is your favourite pastime but I'm afraid in this instance you're out of luck. I got no approbation from the witnesses who were there and I am satisfied that I acted reasonably and properly except that I teased one pompous idiot. If you behave like a pompous idiot in my presence, expect the same.

I wasn't there but surely if you could hear him, he and the others could have heard you. You could therefore have explained your intentions. Even if not vocally, eye contact, body language and gesticulation goes a long way to replacing the spoken word.

I think it boils down to the fact that you knew you were doing something "non-standard" but felt as a matter of principle you didn't need to explain yourself. And whilst only one of the queuing boaters actually challenged you, the others probably thought you were a queue jumper but couldn't be bothered with a confrontation.

Your matter of principle caused a bit of a scene, was it worth it?