whose boat is this then

jenlyn

Featured Posts

Lovely boat, shared a couple of locks on a dark autumn evening with them last year when we were both trying to press on a bit to gain time the next day. Ended up giving the lady a lift on our boat when her other half had carried on while she nipped to the shop. The towpath gets very narrow and dark when you are somewhere you are not familiar with and have hands full of shopping bags and no torch. One of those chance meetings with another couple of boaters who you get on with really well.

I hadn't a clue who they were at the time :)

I remember meeting John Dodwell on board the 'Maid Marion' (Big, eff off, Tidal Trent CRT tug). He jokily said "I've got a tug as well, fancy a tug of war?", this made me and the skipper laugh as we have 350hp (twin shaft Perkins Sabre), he has 35hp (or so he said).

Regards,

Lockie.

Well given we know neither the circumstances nor the fact that AFAIK Mr. Dodwell is not a member here and does not therefore have the ability to respond I'm personally not interested.

ooo eck, that wont go down well then......

I hope "whoever it was" (!) that attached it to the tiller managed to do so without stepping on the boat.

Otherwise I fear we will have the usual suspects making more than a few comments about "trespass"......

Well given we know neither the circumstances nor the fact that AFAIK Mr. Dodwell is not a member here and does not therefore have the ability to respond I'm personally not interested.

Oh, I think someone involved in the thread may know very well the circumstances!

It's a bit of fun, I believe, a bit like the rather less official looking "patrol notice" that a certain forum member left on one of our boats".

I don't think JD has any need to be quaking in his boots over this incident. clapping.gif

How do you know if he is a member here or not?

I hope "whoever it was" (!) that attached it to the tiller managed to do so without stepping on the boat.

Otherwise I fear we will have the usual suspects making more than a few comments about "trespass"......

Oh, I think someone involved in the thread may know very well the circumstances!

It's a bit of fun, I believe, a bit like the rather less official looking "patrol notice" that a certain forum member left on one of our boats".

I don't think JD has any need to be quaking in his boots over this incident. :clapping:

Hopefully he has a sense of humour...... where does Vaughan Welch moor his boat?

Hopefully he has a sense of humour...... where does Vaughan Welch moor his boat?

He doesn't......

He would like to......

But there are always people tied up several abreast where he wants to - so he can't! :lol:

I bow to your knowledge Speedwheel. In my defence: it was a year ago and my memory is not that great, or he may just have rounded it up. Made me chuckle him joking about pitching his little tug against this:

7248736234_4bf5d37b3b.jpg

He would beat you easily if you entered that at ricky festival

John Dodwell, Helen's owner, has been an acquaintance of mine since 1964, when I met he and Graham Palmer, fellow volunteers on the restoration of the Stourbridge 16 locks.. On many occasions they overnighed at my parents house nearby.. I recall a trip to the Anchor on the Shroppie in John's trusty Morris traveller with Graham trying to read an O S map by forthright. Lily Pascall brought us beer from the cellar in a tall white jug, which sometimes happens today!

He served as IWA General Secretary in the 80s, has a lifelong love of waterways and boats and currently serves as a trustee for CRT. He works tirelessly for them, doubt he'd have time for involvement in this forum. The boat, an ex Leonard Leigh tug, was decorated in Holloways livery by Phil Speight. They used boats years ago, now run a fleet of trucks in Oldbury next door to the main line. Part of their yard was used by the Allen's who built many fine boats. Helen can sometimes be seen near Stourton, where my buddy Martin Brookes looks after her.

Afraid I see no extra security in an added centre line mooring on a canal....one of the modern practices I don't like!

IMHO John's a great guy!

Cheers

Dave

• Greenie 2