Leeds and Liverpool

Trento

Featured Posts

It was with some trepidation that I went up through Blackburn this morning, thankfully, like the Ribble Link, it was a "non event".No drama, the odd visit to the weed hatch and that was it, I discovered where traffic cones go to die, along with their mates, the plastic buckets..

The locals were helpful even closing gates after departure..whilst testing the buoyancy of the newly departed...

On the whole trip from Riley Green to Hopton, just outside Burnley, I saw only one boat on the move..... Where is everybody ?? I understand that the L&L is under used but given todays weather..!!!!! Perhaps tomorrow ...

Funny you should mention Blackburn. I have been through about 4 times and stopped overnight twice with no problem. I agree it does need some TLC. I have been at two meetings where we have discussed both Blackburn and Burnley. The idea being to introduce some Visitor Moorings. In the case of Blackburn the local Council are keen to get involved to regenerate their local canal. Like all these things it does need boaters to get involved we are in the process of developing a website so that we can make more people aware of what we as boaters are trying to achieve, not only by meeting with CRT but by boaters getting together and being involved. I am afraid the days of moaning and hoping someone else will sort it has proved pointless. If we care about our waterways we must all work together. I am not saying we have to volunteer and get out and do it ourselves but we have to present a viable case as to where CRT and the local Waterways Partnerships should be spending their money. I can assure you that cycle clubs and angling societies are very active in lobbying local councils and Waterways partnerships where the money should be spent, so we could end up with some great Towpaths and terrible canals and by then it will be to late.

In the case of The Leeds and Liverpool and The Rochdale it could become a nasty cycle. The less regeneration that happens the less boats will use it, the result of that is they become canals in decline. This does not only apply to the 2 canals I have named.

I've used to point this out to fishermen as well. If they object to boats passing them then they should remember that it takes only a few years after closure before they canal is unfishable through choking weeds. It has happened before. Thankfully, it is now a while since any canals were lost so memories fade . . . However, canals are only fishable if boats use them.

Funny you should mention Blackburn. I have been through about 4 times and stopped overnight twice with no problem. I agree it does need some TLC. I have been at two meetings where we have discussed both Blackburn and Burnley. The idea being to introduce some Visitor Moorings. In the case of Blackburn the local Council are keen to get involved to regenerate their local canal. Like all these things it does need boaters to get involved we are in the process of developing a website so that we can make more people aware of what we as boaters are trying to achieve, not only by meeting with CRT but by boaters getting together and being involved. I am afraid the days of moaning and hoping someone else will sort it has proved pointless. If we care about our waterways we must all work together. I am not saying we have to volunteer and get out and do it ourselves but we have to present a viable case as to where CRT and the local Waterways Partnerships should be spending their money. I can assure you that cycle clubs and angling societies are very active in lobbying local councils and Waterways partnerships where the money should be spent, so we could end up with some great Towpaths and terrible canals and by then it will be to late.

In the case of The Leeds and Liverpool and The Rochdale it could become a nasty cycle. The less regeneration that happens the less boats will use it, the result of that is they become canals in decline. This does not only apply to the 2 canals I have named.

This year July/Aug I'm planning to do Manchester to Leeds via the LeedsLiverpool canal and over the summit via the Rochdale back to Manchester home again.

I'm viewing it as an extreme survival adventure.

(widebeam needing all lock gates open etc).

This year July/Aug I'm planning to do Manchester to Leeds via the LeedsLiverpool canal and over the summit via the Rochdale back to Manchester home again.

Dean great trip it is what I did last year but you really need to do the job properly and go up to Ripon

Dean I don't know how wide and deep your boat is,but its not that extreme.the locals are friendly mainly. The country side is stunning especially between foulridge and skipton. The only thing you've got to watch really is water levels,oh and a few of the swing bridges area troublesome,but not so bad if you've got a few crew to go ahead and open them for you. I'm shure you'll really enjoy it

Regards kris

Edited by kris88

Dean great trip it is what I did last year but you really need to do the job properly and go up to Ripon

eh!....now you've got me thinking.

I'm not too sure about the Ouse river bit....can anyone tell me what's involved getting to Ripon? ...sorry...I dont want to hijack this....I'll start a new thread :) Dont reply here.

Edited by DeanS

There are canal festivals in both Blackburn and Burnley this year which are trying to raise the profile of the canal amongst the local community. That at Blackburn is over the weekend of the 20/21 July, with the Burnley event over the weekend of 14/15 September. I am sure any support or attendance would be gratefully received. For those who don't know the area, the canal scenery is very varied, from short industrial sections, to much longer ones with stunning views across the Lancashire Calder valley to Pendle Hill.

As has been mentioned, the canal is comparatively under-used. We (the L&LC Society) have the heritage boat Kennet at Saltaire Arts Trail this weekend - it is still on today - and only two boats passed whilst I was on duty.

As an ex Blackburner I know the council have spent lots in the past including putting street lighting along a lot of the towpath so any effort on our part would not be wasted. Blackburn itself offers lots to canal visitors. Some of the adjacent facilities include Asda, Morrisons, Tesco, and B&Q. In Mill Hill there is everything you want including a bank & launderette, cafe, chip shop, chinese, post office and much more all within 200m. Best access for Mill Hill is by the Navigation pub but I would not suggest you try the pub although they are very friendly in there and you would be welcme, it's just a local boozer on the towpath.

The L&L is the best! We've done it several times now and we believe the scenery to be second to none. Yes, it is hard work, heavy and plentiful swing bridges, but it's all worth it.

As for Burnley and Blackburn, we've never had any trouble, but yes there is a lot of cr** in the cut.

Enjoy,

Bob

We are travelling from Leeds to Wigan at the moment. Hardly any boats moving and last night in the normally full Rodley moorings, not a single boat, apart from us. Real shame as facilities can be hard to find, and if there are no boats, the few boatyards left will soon become none.

We've just had two weeks from Leeds to the foulridge tunnel and back. Very quiet as usual, mainly hire boats moving.

The eastern L&L is one of the most enjoyable canals we've travelled. Can't recommend it highly enough and equally can't understand why more don't come this way.

Can't comment on the western side but hope to make it all the way to Liverpool next year

I wonder if the stigmas of Blackburn and Burnley will be around for ever more - we've never had a problem and don't know anyone who has.

Saw you passing Lower Park at the weekend Trento in the glorious sunshine.

Sometimes it would be nice to see more boats up here but then again our water supplies are very precious!

I wonder if the stigmas of Blackburn and Burnley will be around for ever more - we've never had a problem and don't know anyone who has.

Saw you passing Lower Park at the weekend Trento in the glorious sunshine.

Sometimes it would be nice to see more boats up here but then again our water supplies are very precious!

We like the 'Burnley Mile' - there is something a bit surreal cruising along looking down over a busy town.

Slightly of topic, but can anyone recomend the best place to moor overnight near Nelson & a pub close that does decent food & real ale.

Cheers Andy.

For pubs near the canal in that area it may be worth trying further north of the Barrowford flight. In the Nelson area the locals don't drink and very many pubs no longer exist or have recently shut down.

I understand the Anchor at Salterforth is under new management, does real ale, food and has a C&RT mooring immediately outside. It also has some history. A mere five miles, seven locks and a tunnel, to the north of Nelson closedeyes.gif

Cheers for the reply, but we're coming from barnoldswick, heading to Liverpool, so I,m afraid the wrong direction.

Forget Nelson then and push on to Burnley and moor outside the historic Inn on the Wharf just beyond the straight mile embankment and serving food and real ale. Visit the Weaver Triangle museum at the same time. If its just a nice pint you want, a very short walk over the bridge towards Manchester Road railway station will take you to the Ministry of Ale pub on the corner of Trafalgar Street.

Or slightly further on, there are a few pubs at rosegrove (moor at the BW yard /services.) never been in them but they are likely to be local boozers and a really good little butchers shop. If you moor up at rosegrove then walk through the BW yard turn left over the canal then left onto the towpath up to next bridge (past your moored boat - 200 yds if that) there is a new modern pub (think its one of marstons) called the sycamore farm just behind a modern office block at the side of the canal - usually a selection of guest ales and reasonable food. Its hopeless trying to moor up on the two path side along there so you might as well tuck yourself up at Rosegrove services and fill up with water while your there.

If things go to plan I will be travelling to Leeds in July (could slip to August) so may see you.

Is it much busier in July/Aug John (or anyone else). As a single hander it would be nice to share the locks with someone (not Dean, thoughunsure.png )

If things go to plan I will be travelling to Leeds in July (could slip to August) so may see you.

Is it much busier in July/Aug John (or anyone else). As a single hander it would be nice to share the locks with someone (not Dean, thoughunsure.png )

The locks are one thing the swing bridges are another as a single hander.

Activity does pick up on the bit between Barnoldswick and Shipley but it never really gets what you would call 'busy' in the same way as some of the Midlands/Southern bits. August of course being school hols means that is probably about as busy as it gets, and we have certainly been able to share locks in August and play 'leap frog' with at least one other boat through the swing bridges or if it's a single handed boat just do the bridges for them as well.

Edited by The Dog House

The locks are one thing the swing bridges are another as a single hander.

Activity does pick up on the bit between Barnoldswick and Shipley but it never really gets what you would call 'busy' in the same way as some of the Midlands/Southern bits. August of course being school hols means that is probably about as busy as it gets, and we have certainly been able to share locks in August and play 'leap frog' with at least one other boat through the swing bridges or if it's a single handed boat just do the bridges for them as well.

Thanks Martin - You're hiredsmile.png

I said locks but really meant everything. Even on the llangollen (just done) where they provide a bollard on the operational side it can be a bit of a bugg** in the wind -for me anyway!

We are travelling from Leeds to Wigan at the moment. Hardly any boats moving and last night in the normally full Rodley moorings, not a single boat, apart from us. Real shame as facilities can be hard to find, and if there are no boats, the few boatyards left will soon become none.

CRT came down and mooved us and probabley the rest of em on. I would love a mooring down rodley but CRT never put any on their auction site.

Indeed. Since the L&L closed in 2010 we have seen a staggering fall in the number of visiting boats. It seems to have been deleted from the cruise logs of the 6 month semi-continuous cruise brigade.

Shame - it is such a lovely canal.