wide beams

NBnutter

Featured Posts

Just a stupid question but one that has baffled me since seeing the 'stealth boat' today at Braunston........what happens when you meet one of these in a tunnel? She was going to go through the tunnel at Braunston and I just got to thinking I would hate to meet a widebeam in a tunnel!! I mean who has to reverse? Or is there a unwritten rule to taking a widebeam through a tunnel??? unsure.png

On some broad canals the tunnels work on a timed basis so that each directions has, say, 10 minutes in which to enter the tunnel. Foulridge on the L&L works like that with traffic lights at each end. From on the hour until 10 minutes past the hour in one direction and on the half hour for 10 minutes in the other direction. Transit times is typically less than 20 minutes although if a boat is slower than that you'd have to wait for it.

Other shorter tunnels work on line of sight. If you can see a boat already in the tunnel wait until they come out before you enter.

As others have said they should book a passage at braunston, however given that some owners seem to have difficultly with steering and operating their boats in general I do wonder if they know you have to book...I don't reckon it will be too long before one causes mayhem in a tunnel....mind you if they meet me I know who's going to reverse!

Cheers

Gareth

(I'm not keen on floating flats...!!)

• Greenie 1

I think you will find with Braunston and Blisworth wide beams are obliged to book and I think (but cannot find the reference so stand to be corrected) that there is a ban in force at the moment on wide beams using Braunston and Blisworth at weekends.

As others have said they should book a passage at braunston, however given that some owners seem to have difficultly with steering and operating their boats in general I do wonder if they know you have to book...I don't reckon it will be too long before one causes mayhem in a tunnel....mind you if they meet me I know who's going to reverse!

Cheers

Gareth

Dont think so sonny wink.png

Tim

I think you will find with Braunston and Blisworth wide beams are obliged to book and I think (but cannot find the reference so stand to be corrected) that there is a ban in force at the moment on wide beams using Braunston and Blisworth at weekends.

Yes, your absolutely right on both counts.

Cheers

Gareth

What a plonker.

Tim

Surely Frangar is simply saying that, if a wide beam enters a tunnel without a correct booking, causing problems for others, he will do the correct thing and reverse out.

Any other interpretation means that "might is right" and me and my wide beam are coming through and sod you all!

George ex nb Alton retired

well seems that there is a booking system, but he said he was going through the tunnel in the morning so how does the booking system work? How does a narrowboat at the other end of the tunnel know that there is a wide beam coming through??

I for certain would hate to meet one in a tunnel, and if I was more than halfway through, who would be the one to have to back out??

Tim

Cheers

Gareth

talking about steering...omg there was a boat out on sat that I was in stitches watching, it zig zagged all down from the tunnel, floated sideways across the canal whilst deciding oif to risk doubling up in the lock, and with a bit of persuasion went in first, promptly failed to keep boat to one side, second boat rammed it as couldnt stop in time and then proceeded to bang its way in!!. I dont think they shared another lock!!

thank god they were in a narrowboat not a widebeam!

well seems that there is a booking system, but he said he was going through the tunnel in the morning so how does the booking system work? How does a narrowboat at the other end of the tunnel know that there is a wide beam coming through??

I for certain would hate to meet one in a tunnel, and if I was more than halfway through, who would be the one to have to back out??

As a widebeam comfy boat owner and indeed as a sewer tube owner for over twenty years I always would ensure the tunnel was clear or comply with any local rules appertaining to said tunnel. I have never yet had to reverse out of any of the hundreds of times i have traversed a tunnel or caused any other boat to have to reverse. I dont think it should be a problem it just needs a courteous approach to boating, if only car drivers did the same.

Tim

...I don't reckon it will be too long before one causes mayhem in a tunnel....

So, taking into consideration all these years past where one hasn't caused mayhem in a tunnel, what period of time would you define as "not too long"?

talking about steering...omg there was a boat out on sat that I was in stitches watching, it zig zagged all down from the tunnel, floated sideways across the canal whilst deciding oif to risk doubling up in the lock, and with a bit of persuasion went in first, promptly failed to keep boat to one side, second boat rammed it as couldnt stop in time and then proceeded to bang its way in!!. I dont think they shared another lock!!

I followed a narrowboat through Braunston tunnel a few years back. Not only did he travel slowly, which narked me off a bit, but he did the entire length at a 30 degree angle to the wall, scraping his bow all the way. I soon passed him after the tunnel, as he pulled over, there was a bare patch of steel where paint once was!!!

I followed a narrowboat through Braunston tunnel a few years back. Not only did he travel slowly, which narked me off a bit, but he did the entire length at a 30 degree angle to the wall, scraping his bow all the way. I soon passed him after the tunnel, as he pulled over, there was a bare patch of steel where paint once was!!!

Edited by BenC

Cheers

Gareth

Now there's a deeply intelligent and well considered trio of comments

......Not......

Whilst you're on the subject - are there other types of boats you're also intolerant of???

Isn't the point of booking a passage that they have somebody from CRT standing at the opposite end preventing boats entering?

At least I think that is how it works.

......Not......

Whilst you're on the subject - are there other types of boats you're also intolerant of???

The more time we spend on our boat the more we realise we would appreciate a fatter boat, even as leisure boaters not live aboards.

The lack of ability to get to the South wouldn't particularly bother us now as we are quite happy pootling about oop North....

Isn't the point of booking a passage that they have somebody from CRT standing at the opposite end preventing boats entering?

At least I think that is how it works.

The more time we spend on our boat the more we realise we would appreciate a fatter boat, even as leisure boaters not live aboards.

The lack of ability to get to the South wouldn't particularly bother us now as we are quite happy pootling about oop North....

As we'll be pootling about upt' t'North for a few months this summer, will see if we can arrange to meet up

Aye appen....

Martin if Dave does meet up with you ask him round for a barby cos he brings some fab posh meat that us commoners cannot afford and twas realy rather good. Sshhhhhhh though dont tell him I told you. biggrin.png

Tim

I waited at the stoke end of Blisworth for a widebean a few years ago when I had a narrowoat. it took ages. and ages. I was in awe as to the potential size of this beast coming so slowly.

and...

it turned out to be a 25ftx10ft splitter, a seamaster iirc. bit disappointing as I was expecting a huge delta marine barge or something.

:lol:

......Not......

I'm more intolerant of boats being used on waterways that aren't suitable for them! Just because a boat fits through a lock doesn't mean the whole waterway is suitable.

This was best shown by watching 2 wide beams trying to pass each other in Milton Keynes. It was entertaining to watch!

Cheers

Gareth

Ps we met a floating flat at the top of Brauston flight.....it was only the other boaters present pointing out the obvious that stopped them going straight through the tunnel cos they couldn't see another boat coming towards them.....now that might have been quite entertaining!........

We got a shock going down Stockton weekend before last, a widebeam was coming up, you don't seem many (moving) to the top end of the GU. What was interesting is that they did seem to have a rather different attitude to locks, perhaps they were form the Thames and expected them to be worked for them, but it was a tad annoying But to be honest I don't think the GU is this area is that suitable for widebeams but as long as the numbers are small it is no big deal.

I thought with Braunston and Blisworth tunnels the widebeams booked a passage and went through first thing in the morning, presumably with a CRT person at the other end to stop other boats. How can someone with a widebeam think that can just go into the tunnel, if beggars belief, they must know how it works.

So, taking into consideration all these years past where one hasn't caused mayhem in a tunnel, what period of time would you define as "not too long"?

Given the increase in wide beams over the last few years and the decrease of common sense I'm guessing the odds are getting less and less.....

Cheers

Gareth

Pretty sure seeing

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MjctMjAxMjA3MzAtMTIzMy5qcG

Gurgling towards you in a dark tunnel would have most people slamming on reverse. They moor up in Stockton and are regulars on the Thames, so assume they know to book the tunnel :D

Given the increase in wide beams over the last few years and the decrease of common sense I'm guessing the odds are getting less and less.....

Cheers

Gareth

it could get quite interesting if proper agro happened in a tunnel, very tricky to get ambulance etc in there I wonder if the rozzers and emergency services have a plan on this?

I suppose they would send the helicopter :rolleyes:

I'm more intolerant of boats being used on waterways that aren't suitable for them! Just because a boat fits through a lock doesn't mean the whole waterway is suitable.

This was best shown by watching 2 wide beams trying to pass each other in Milton Keynes. It was entertaining to watch!

Cheers

Gareth

Ps we met a floating flat at the top of Brauston flight.....it was only the other boaters present pointing out the obvious that stopped them going straight through the tunnel cos they couldn't see another boat coming towards them.....now that might have been quite entertaining!........

I think you will find that the reason the locks are wide is to accomodate widebeam boats, not specificaly two sewer tubes side by side. I lived on a sewer tube for 22 years but now have a widebeam, I think i have forgotten more about boat handling both wide and narrow beam boats than you will ever learn, we keep a little sewer tube in the toilets on my boat I drive daily at work for kids to play in.

I have an idea that would be good for charity, why dont you the fantastic sewer tube boat handling expert and I have a boat handling competition to include a demo on each others boat to include of course knowledge of the inland waterways system? we could have a totaly independant team of judges known to neither of us and the loser would give a grand to a nominated charity. Im ready with my money when do you want the competition? I am day off this thursday if thats any good.

Tim

• Greenie 1