Guns and Boats

single again

Featured Posts

Hi there all ,

Right well firstly ive at long last taken the plunge and am now the proud owner or i will be shortly this coming weekend anyway of a 2006 57` narrow boat .

However something that i did forget to think about in my quest to find the perfect NB for me and the dog was my shotgun now having just spoken to the Leicestershire police im told it is possible to have a gun cabinet fitted , My question is to anyone who has a cabinet on board how is it secured ?

Any help would be aprecieated

Why on earth would you want a shotgun on a narrowboat?

Because shooting guns is a sport, personally I wouldn't be interested in killing animals but clay pigeon shooting is great fun.

Sounds to me as if the op has a responsible attitude to gun ownership unlike a previous poster that wanted to take pot shots at troublesome kids with his air rifle.

Edited by The Dog House

Hi there all ,

Right well firstly ive at long last taken the plunge and am now the proud owner or i will be shortly this coming weekend anyway of a 2006 57` narrow boat .

However something that i did forget to think about in my quest to find the perfect NB for me and the dog was my shotgun now having just spoken to the Leicestershire police im told it is possible to have a gun cabinet fitted , My question is to anyone who has a cabinet on board how is it secured ?

Any help would be aprecieated

Ideally, since the gun cabinet will be made of steel, find a way to weld it to the hull, even if that means removing some lining/flooring and then replacing it. That keeps the police happy – especially if you take photographs of the welding detail before recovering. You can use angle to extent the body of the cabinet as needed.

But, you would normally need to ensure that the external doors to the cabin itself were not the usual wooden ones, and if necessary encase those in steel also with hidden hinges or side bolts.

I would get a solid steel cabinet made and weld it to the floor bearers.

I looked into this before I sold my rifles and decided it was too much hassle as I didn't have time to go to range days so they paid for Blacking and new sten gear.

I would get a solid steel cabinet made and weld it to the floor bearers.

I looked into this before I sold my rifles and decided it was too much hassle as I didn't have time to go to range days so they paid for Blacking and new sten gear.

Sten gear? 9 mm?

I did the same. Sold my 2 x .303s (no 4 and SMLE), .44 Marlin, .357 Winchester , .22 Anschutz, Ruger .44 Old Army, Hushpower .410 and Covar 12g.

Sad, but could not find the space nor get to a range often enough to fire them.

Still got CO2 pistol and BSA Stutzen though.

Sten gear? 9 mm?

I did the same. Sold my 2 x .303s (no 4 and SMLE), .44 Marlin, .357 Winchester , .22 Anschutz, Ruger .44 Old Army, Hushpower .410 and Covar 12g.

Lol meant to read as stern gear.

9mm is a bit of a joke where gun licenses are concerned. Even Olympic pistol shooters can't get a handgun licence but you can get a licence for a rifle that would be capable of sinking a narrowboat or far worse to a human at frightening ranges.

Sten gear? 9 mm?

If you had kept them you would have been very helpful come the Boaters Revolution.cheers.gif

To the person asking why would i want to keep a shotgun on a boat , Because im a part time game keeper and i like to no where my shot gun is and that its close to hand and where it should be as in in the possession of the license holder ie me then i no its safe & for anyone who is thinking of having a go at game keepers then have a read below on just what our job involves, Incidently i also shoot clays which is as someone said good fun .

Gamekeepers manage both upland and lowland areas for the benefit of reared or wild game (eg pheasant, partridge, grouse, duck, deer). They also control pests. Gamekeepers maintain and create woodlands, hedgerows, and ponds for quarry species but these provide shelter for many other kinds of wildlife and help to ensure the biodiversity of our countryside. In total, gamekeepers manage around 7.3 million hectares of countryside in the United Kingdom.

The habitat maintained for game provides important habitat for "at risk" species such as the dormouse, spotted flycatcher and a variety of butterfly species. Pest and predator control carried out by gamekeepers benefits ground nesting birds such as the redshank. Gamekeepers are involved in conservation initiatives and work with conservation agencies such as English Nature, British Trust for Ornithology and local wildlife trusts on projects such as badger watch, otter watch, polecat research, bird counting and the reintroduction of the red kite.

Many manage areas which are legally protected for wildlife, such as Sites of Special Scientific Interest. BASC, as the gamekeepers’ representative body, has Joint Statements of Interest and Co-operation with the Government’s conservation agencies - English Nature, Scottish Natural Heritage and the Countryside Council for Wales and the Environment and Heritage Services (DOENI). BASC issues a number of Codes of Practice, ranging from avian and mammalian trapping to good shooting practice. It is also a member of the Partnership for Action Against Wildlife Crime (PAW).

Can i say a huge thank you to those of you who have offered good and sound advice.

It always use to bother me leaving my guns at home when I was on the boat. I had the gun cabinet in the loft but always expected to come to find them gone. I gave up shooting last year so no longer have any guns to worry about..