A lifeless canal

jenlyn

Featured Posts

Has some fisher persons pegged out some no mooring signs......?

I suppose the question is where are all the boats that were there now? - has some (perceived) problem just been moved to another part of the system?

This is only towpath hearsay, but it was explained to me that some boaters got sick of CRT employees peering through the windows to see if the boats were lived on, even taking photos of the interior. (Again, I emphasise hear say). Speaking to some of the public using the park, I had comments such as "its dead here" "I think the boaters have been harassed out of the area""will it be like this from now on" "the colour and atmoshere is missing"...........

This is only towpath hearsay, but it was explained to me that some boaters got sick of CRT employees peering through the windows to see if the boats were lived on, even taking photos of the interior. (Again, I emphasise hear say). Speaking to some of the public using the park, I had comments such as "its dead here" "I think the boaters have been harassed out of the area""will it be like this from now on" "the colour and atmoshere is missing"...........

Somewhat ironic given that the Trust always seem to want to attract as many different types to the tow-path as possible, if what the public are saying is true it shows that jo public is attracted to the towpath not by the sight of a muddy ditch but by boats - it is certainly what attracted us all those years ago before we had a boat and when we used to walk the towpath with the kids and the dog.....

When I used occasionally to moor in Berko 10 years ago as a cc.er it was often over subscribed. thing is it is a useful shop stop (eg waitrose).

plenty of other spots for boat dwellers ;) in the area but this particular mooring is valuable for visitors and they do make up a significant portion of users/income generators...

My neighbour came back from a cruise yesterday and reported that new signs have already appeared along the Lee. (he got as far as Broxbourne).

They now say '14 days in any 12 months'.

Consultation, much?

They have no legislation to empower a no return time. They really are setting themselves up for a fall. I know two groups that are prepared to set up a class action.

As I put in an email to CRT last week at Foxton another "hotspot" I was one of 4 boats on all the Visitor Moorings In the whole complex both at the top and bottom of the flight. The 3 boats that were often to be found on the VM's had all moved just off the end of them perhaps this is the same here. If this was the aim why didn't they just do this without all the consultation fuss.

Totally agree with your comments regarding the " no return" rule this has much wider ramifications if not stopped

More like visitors have got fed up with being unable to moor here because of the moorings always being full and have gone else where !

14 skipper

When were they always full? When I came through 2 years ago managed to find a mooring on the way down to London and on the way back and there were certainly more boats there then but there were spaces. Just out of interest when was it that you could find no moorings in Berko?

When were they always full? When I came through 2 years ago managed to find a mooring on the way down to London and on the way back and there were certainly more boats there then but there were spaces. Just out of interest when was it that you could find no moorings in Berko?

Ive come through here 4 times a year over 4 years. Never have I not been able to moor here.

Some of the NCCC from Berko were seen heading south this week, for some of them its the furthest they have moved in over ten years.

Hard standing at Winkwell appears to be full with boats that don't appear to be having any work done I suppose that's one way of complying with CRT rules.

Its about time the chickens came home to roost :)

Some of the NCCC from Berko were seen heading south this week, for some of them its the furthest they have moved in over ten years.

Hard standing at Winkwell appears to be full with boats that don't appear to be having any work done I suppose that's one way of complying with CRT rules.

Its about time the chickens came home to roost :)

I've told them where you moor ;-) and that you have a hankering for jungle music :-) also that you like to moan about them. (Chuckles)

How long is it before the town centre towpaths become unsafe places to be for lone boats and the general public to use

Not in Berko far To Middle Class, Waitrose has been extended again and Berko soon will get an M&S food shop :)

I've told them where you moor ;-) and that you have a hankering for jungle music :-) also that you like to moan about them. (Chuckles)

They already know two of them moored opposite for ten years without moving :(

Not in Berko far To Middle Class, Waitrose has been extended again and Berko soon will get an M&S food shop :)

They already know two of them moored opposite for ten years without moving :(

9781846462269.jpeg

Came past you on friday, no one moored there. Have you ever been on jackanory?

Edited by jenlyn

Came past you on friday, no one moored there. Have you ever been on jackanory?

Oh I was out And missed you

They left a year or so ago, I didnt say they were still there.

I Have to say the new enforcement from CRT has worked wonders.

Edited by Loddon

Well hopefully as I trundle around the system this summer I won't find 24/48 hour moorings full of boats that have obviously taken root...all sounds good to me!!

Lets face it some people have been taking the urine for years seeing the canal as cheap housing esp in towns such as Berko. It's about time these things were sorted...there is plenty of bankside in the middle of nowhere if you don't want to move but I guess that's not as convenient for the station/parking!

I sure someone will be along soon to say its not fair they have been moved on and how they shouldn't have to pay for a licence/mooring/BSC/insurance etc.....yes times are hard...I'm freelance with no certain income...however I want to stay living on my boat and keep it all legal...I make sure I can pay for all that 1st and then see what I have left.

If you want to stay in one place for whatever reason perhaps you should make sure you have money for a mooring! Living afloat isn't a cheap option now if it ever was.

Cheers

Gareth

PS I seem to be agreeing with Loddon!!! I need to lie down!!

Edited by frangar
  • Greenie 2