Towpath Rules

RickH

Featured Posts

On a notice on a bridge in Camden it clearly states pedestrians have the right of way over cyclists. Not sure about dogs.

Cyclists should ALWAYS give way to pedestrians.

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly

A bicycle is a vehicle . Vehicles belong on roads NOT footpaths. Any cyclist going faster than a walking pace on said path is a ####. As a driving instructor I can tell you the rules are obvious but it is that bigger gives way to smaller so a push bike gives way to a pedestrian and a motorcycle to a pushbike and a car to a motorcycle etc etc. Yes you shoul control your dog but was it causing any hassle? I doubt it. More likely the wally on his silly pedal machine should have given way.

Tim

But the OP said "This was on the cycle path near Bath"

We're talking about the canal towpath, not the Norfolk Broads.wink.png

bittern_1318554c.jpg

If that one came running up to me then I'd give it a medal for effort.

I heard one or two of them last week, the first time since 1964 ish.

Edited by DHutch

I heard one or two of them last week, the first time since 1964 ish.

It doesnt matter wether or not its a cycle path a cyclist still gives way to a pedestrian end of story unless its some idiot which of course ever increasing numbers are.

Tim

It was on the Towpath , which is also part of the National Cycle Routes , it was not on a Cycle ONLY path .

OP - you know your dog

I don't.

If he came running towards me, or my family, untethered and on a public highway or towpath, and I feel threatened - I will take whatever action I deem necessary in the particular circumstances, to stay safe.

If you cannot be bothered to keep your dog under control, where it may be expected to meet other animals or members of the public, - I fail to understand why you should put that responsibility upon me.

If a dog with me, off a lead, attacked you or your animal - I would expect you to feel a trifle miffed.

I think feeling threatened is key , there is very little chance you would feel that with my dog and most owners would already have expieriance of whether people are threatened by their dog

My dog was under verbal control and standing perfectly still next to me at the time of the incident , we were simply in this cyclists way .

Knowing Rick's dog somewhat, I would be surprised if it said boo to a goose. Unlike most dogs, he is quiet, and doesn't dart about.

SHE appreciates the endorsement , and says Hi to Lister !

A bicycle is a vehicle . Vehicles belong on roads NOT footpaths. Any cyclist going faster than a walking pace on said path is a ####. As a driving instructor I can tell you the rules are obvious but it is that bigger gives way to smaller so a push bike gives way to a pedestrian and a motorcycle to a pushbike and a car to a motorcycle etc etc. Yes you shoul control your dog but was it causing any hassle? I doubt it. More likely the wally on his silly pedal machine should have given way.

Tim

As a driving instructor I do hope you teach your pupils more tolerance than you spout fatigue.gif on the forum against bicycle riders. I think we should adopt the Indian way of driving, that is "might is right" the biggest takes precedence clapping.gif no arguing then just get out the way.

Edited by DHutch
  • Greenie 2

I say this as the owner of two dogs and I would not allow the border collie to be off its lead when other people/children are around, where as the labrador will just want food/fuss so I'd be less worried, but I some people just don't like/feel comfortable with dogs and any responsible owner should recognise that.

Speaking as one of those people who doesn't like dogs I don't know, due to severe bites when I was 4, I thank you. However the lab would still cause me concern if I met it not on a lead.

The Greenway Code which CRT expect cyclists to abide by when on a towpath says:

2. Drop your pace considerate sharing of the limited towpath space is the key. Jogging and cycling are welcome, but drop your pace in good time and let people know you are approaching by ringing a bell or politely calling out before waiting to pass slowly.

3. Pedestrians have priority towpaths are ‘Greenways’ or shared use routes where pedestrians have priority and vehicles, except bicycles and mobility aids, are generally excluded.

As a driving instructor I do hope you teach your pupils more tolerance than you spout fatigue.gif on the forum against bicycle riders. I think we should adopt the Indian way of driving, that is "might is right" the biggest takes precedence clapping.gif no arguing then just get out the way.

Hi

I dont teach driving anymore, been there done that, still got the licence though. I ALWAYS teach people to give way to cyclists and pedestrians whatever the circumstances as I myself do in everyday driving. Cycles are vehicles and intended for road use not towpaths etc where they are quite honestly a total pain in the arese.

Tim

Everyone can safely use a towpath, it just requires courtesy. We've all come across inconsiderate pedestrians, cyclists, boaters, fishermen, dog owners etc.

If someone is rude to you and you genuinely don't think you were doing anything wrong, they were probably just having a bad day, the poor soul. Don't sweat it :)

• Greenie 2

....Cycles are vehicles and intended for road use not towpaths etc where they are quite honestly a total pain....

While I agree its sensible and courteous for cyclists to give way to pedestrians and dogs, I think its over stretching and in many cases factually in correct to say that "cycles are untented for road use" as well as to suggest they have no place on towpath or cycleway.

Towpaths have be used by bikes, horses, and in some case mechanical tow tugs since there existence and you are perfectly entitled to ride a bike on the towpath and in fact I notice since CRT have taken over from waterways the requirement to print off a free permit has been removed.

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/see-and-do/cycling

Daniel

Oh dear, What passion.

If you, dear Carl, were to throw my lab/57 heinz cross in the cut then you would be dressed down by me then soaked by spike shaking himself.

He has never chewed off any of my limbs or any of the limbs attached to my Grandchildren. But, of course, if you prat with him it may be different.

Most of the time he is under voice control, and if that is challenged by circumstance then he is on the lead. He is boisterous, noisy, hi- jumping and generally lively.

Such is the life of a cared for dog. We keep him under voice control 99.9 percent of the time. The other point one percemt we expect the public to accept our hound as part of the surrounding fauna, where normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

Is this not acceptable?

BTW I was knocked over by a cyclist on Princess Street in Manchester. No apologies...

Mike.

The other point one percemt we expect the public to accept our hound as part of the surrounding fauna, where normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

Is this not acceptable?

Sorry and I know I am in a very tiny minority but it isn't acceptable to me for the reason I gave earlier.

With regard to surrounding fauna I have lived in the country all my life and worked with animals wild and tame, large and small (from bulls downwards) I have only ever been attacked and injured by a dog.

• Greenie 2

Is this not acceptable?

Of course it is.

You have described a dog that is well behaved and under control.

If, however, I am involved in the 0.1% event where he chooses to be a pain then I will exercise my right not to be bothered by him.

How would I know that he is acting out of character?

The law is very clear on pedestrians and their rights, they always have the right of way, except at controlled pedestrian crossings, when the red man is showing. ( it is not clear if this is all crossing or just one particular sort) At normal trafiic lights pedestrians have the right of way at ALL times, the red and green men are purely advisory. If the dog is under the control of the pedestrian then it is part of the pedestrian and therefore has right of way. Being under control is defined in law as the dog being attach to the person by a short lead. Cyclist have a duty to take reasonable care, when they are near pedestrians. Cyclist can be done for not being in control of their machine (may be know as riding furiuosly), and riding outside their stopping distance, as defined in the highway code for the various speed limits. Cyclist do not require a speedo and so can not be done for speeding, stopping distances do apply and some forces do occasionally use this to prosecute fast cyclist.

It doesnt matter wether or not its a cycle path a cyclist still gives way to a pedestrian end of story unless its some idiot which of course ever increasing numbers are.

Tim

But if I'm out cycling how would I know that a particular pedestrian is an idiot, and hence I don't need to Gove way to them?

EDIT:

smiley_offtopic.gif

Not quite sure how "give" managed to become "Gove", as I was typing it on a phone, but I'll leave it, as "Gove" is one person it is easy to identify as a complete idiot!

Edited by alan_fincher

2. Drop your pace considerate sharing of the limited towpath space is the key. Jogging and cycling are welcome, but drop your pace in good time and let people know you are approaching by ringing a bell or politely calling out before waiting to pass slowly.

Biggest problem is personal stereos. You ring a bell, call politely, then shout and they still don't respond. I then usually pass slowly and gently touch them on the shoulder to let them know I'm passing. The invariably response is "I didn't hear you". Not surprised. If it had been on a road and I'd been a car the result would have been a fatality.

Being under control is defined in law as the dog being attach to the person by a short lead

I like dogs, I've lived with them for much of my life, but I do wish this was true. My local borough has a bylaw that says all dogs on public paths must be on a lead but it is totally ignored and unenforced.

The Australian National Parks have the right idea. If dogs are permitted at all, then they must be on a lead with a maximum length of 2 metres. If they are not, they are shot without warning. They don't even stop to ask where you would like the hole. Signs at the entrance tell you how many dogs were shot in the previous month.

It would be a brave politician to suggest that here!

Biggest problem is personal stereos. You ring a bell, call politely, then shout and they still don't respond. I then usually pass slowly and gently touch them on the shoulder to let them know I'm passing. The invariably response is "I didn't hear you". Not surprised. If it had been on a road and I'd been a car the result would have been a fatality.

To me the important part is you are sufficient of a gentleman to pass them slowly and carefully - not at breakneck speed as some do.

But if I'm out cycling how would I know that a particular pedestrian is an idiot, and hence I don't need to Gove way to them?

Very good monsiuer Alan clapping.gif Well anyway put it this way. I walk on the path with my dog and sometimes grandkids/kids. I NEVER give way to vehicles known as cyles and never will. They simply have to stop dismount and push their silly bike or of course on some of the wider paths they can go round without problem.

Tim

Very good monsiuer Alan clapping.gif Well anyway put it this way. I walk on the path with my dog and sometimes grandkids/kids. I NEVER give way to vehicles known as cyles and never will. They simply have to stop dismount and push their silly bike or of course on some of the wider paths they can go round without problem.

Tim

What, even if they're as polite and careful as the one who passed us last Sunday? I'm afraid that sounds just unnecessarily rude and obstructive to me!

• Greenie 1

Oh dear, What passion.

If you, dear Carl, were to throw my lab/57 heinz cross in the cut then you would be dressed down by me then soaked by spike shaking himself.

He has never chewed off any of my limbs or any of the limbs attached to my Grandchildren. But, of course, if you prat with him it may be different.

Most of the time he is under voice control, and if that is challenged by circumstance then he is on the lead. He is boisterous, noisy, hi- jumping and generally lively.

Such is the life of a cared for dog. We keep him under voice control 99.9 percent of the time. The other point one percemt we expect the public to accept our hound as part of the surrounding fauna, where normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

Is this not acceptable?

BTW I was knocked over by a cyclist on Princess Street in Manchester. No apologies...

Mike.

He chases rabbits.

He chases sticks.

He chases balls.

Above all he chases FUN. Trust him.

I hope you can meet Spike soon!!!

I'm afraid I'm more sceptical than Carl about owners who claim their dog is under voice control. In my experience once a dog sees something that excites it, it is extremely easy for the dog to slip straight out of voice control and distance from the owner makes it even easier.

I would never trust a dog that is not on a lead and therefore under direct control of the owner.

To me claiming that a dog is under control by voice alone smacks of complacence or perhaps arrogance, or both