fenders

GUMPY

Featured Posts

Does anyone on here use go-cart tyres as fenders, I am thinking of using a pair as a rear fender.

Also what sizes are they and where is cheapest to get them.

What does the assembled team think?

Cheapest place is a go-kart track who are disposing of used ones

They compress a lot for little force, so you may find they don't protect your rudder. A traditionally made fender core has several cheeses of coiled up rope firmly bound together making a pretty solid lump.

Richard

Edited by RLWP

We have a couple that we use on "Sickle" to hang down at the roughest piling to stop us graunching about when moored.

They seemed like a good idea, but the empty carcasses compress quite readily, as Richard says, so what looks like quite a few inches of protection can quickly compress to nothing.

I can't see them as offering much protection to a rudder, because a stack of them could quickly distort to a "non protective" shape. People so seem to use larger tryes with some success, although pretty they seldom are!

I use them at my permanent mooring (against a concrete wall) and they are fine - last about a year before, as everybody else says, they distort beyond use. However, I wouldn't think of using them as rear fender, far too soft. I supose you could roll them and use as a core for a 'proper' fender.

I get mine from the go-kart track in Milton Keynes. They have to pay to get rid of them, so are more than willing to give them away - at least they deal with me on that basis.

Hi,

We got some,wrapped cling film around them and injected some expanding foam inside. Took of the shrink wrap and trimmed the foam when it was dry. Don't compress quite as much and are useful if you need to moor that little bit farther out. Can squeak a bit with the boat movement though.

Fred.

We use them for side fenders when moored, so that is 1095 days and counting, same set for the last three years.

Would not use them as bow or stern button unless well stuffed with something, the fenders not me. tongue.png

Any other ideas on doing it cheaply apart from knitting my own.

I am currently going through a similar exercise for Batavia, where, due to the very low counter, the fenders more or less sit on the water.

The current options are the "cut and rolled up tyre" (cheap but not elegant) or the "short length of very thick-walled rubber tube" (as on ?Brentford?), but this does not seem that easy to find.

Chris G

I am currently going through a similar exercise for Batavia, where, due to the very low counter, the fenders more or less sit on the water.

The current options are the "cut and rolled up tyre" (cheap but not elegant) or the "short length of very thick-walled rubber tube" (as on ?Brentford?), but this does not seem that easy to find

EXD8x8 on this page

http://www.par-group.co.uk/rubber-polyurethane/D-Section-Rubber-Buffers.aspx

Dont know the cost though

Stuff your old fender into a gocart tyre

You may have to cut the side wall to fit - buts its quite easy with a Stanley knife

Now that makes sense!

I think go-kart tyres make pants fenders. I bought a pair and they flattened within less than a week. Plus they sound all squeaky. If you're anywhere near Rugby, I have a pair going free. (Seriously). One is pretty much crap for anything impact-absorbing as it is squashed (but may protect paintwork from scraping the bank?! the other is not so bad.

Would it be possible for you to use one of those plastic/rubber fenders that are meant for GRP boats as your rear fender if funds are tight, as I think they're quite a lot cheaper than rope ones?

Edited by Starcoaster

Stuff your old fender into a gocart tyre

You may have to cut the side wall to fit - buts its quite easy with a Stanley knife

You can just see my rear fender hanging from its chain

DSCF1384.jpg

Very neat. I'll be giving that a go ;)

I think go-kart tyres make pants fenders. I bought a pair and they flattened within less than a week. Plus they sound all squeaky. If you're anywhere near Rugby, I have a pair going free. (Seriously). One is pretty much crap for anything impact-absorbing as it is squashed (but may protect paintwork from scraping the bank?! the other is not so bad.

Would it be possible for you to use one of those plastic/rubber fenders that are meant for GRP boats as your rear fender if funds are tight, as I think they're quite a lot cheaper than rope ones?

I sort of agree. I use them for "occasional" fenders, if that makes sense, just for overnight use when next to pilings etc. I wouldn't fancy them as permanent fenders unless reinforced.

Does anyone on here use go-cart tyres as fenders, I am thinking of using a pair as a rear fender.

Also what sizes are they and where is cheapest to get them.

What does the assembled team think?

I had a few from Brunel University when I was there. (This was a few years ago). They have a karting club and throw out the old tyres which they stack in a corner outside. I think it's the Mech Eng building. If you walk around the Uxbridge campus you will probably spot them and if you ask nicely they will let you take a few.

I used them as fenders against the wall of my old mooring, but they aren't as strong in compression across the tyre as one might imagine. If you wound rope around them they might look quite nice.

Edited by blackrose

So Having beaten my fender to a pulp whilst thinking of certain members of this forum and stuffed inside the tyre I now am left with the decision of sidewall in or sidewall out,

Oh and Datoyna racing at MK just love to give old tyres away.

Edited by Loddon

Looks good! For the record, I have some for my boat and have put old rope inside of the tyre, round and round, cut a hole in the tyre, threaded the end through and then attached one of those larger white hooks to the rope end with one of those metal thingies they use for climbing. Works a treat! Recycles old rope and if you don't quite have enough you can use an over sized thin strap thing to hold the rope in until you do. Adds extra volume to absorb any little bumps.

(sorry about my terminology, but I am only a women rolleyes.gif, will have to use your imagination)