Not again ref K&A posting. Turds floating past my window.

Kristian

Featured Posts

Are you sure it is not this years growth of underwater vegetation pushing off last years growth, it has always happened every year I can remember, if you stir it with a stick it usually disperses in small cloudy bits.

I wish I had been more aware of this yesterday and the day before.

I might have made even greater efforts to try and stop the dog drinking canal water whilst we were walking him just North of Maffers.

Surely operators of sewage plants must know that rightly or wrongly people put more down the bog than human waste and loo roll. Is it really asking too much that monitoring exists to know a blockage from other materials is about to cause a problem?

Ive been here 3yrs and it not vegetation, everyones up in arms about this, its been on the news in local papers etc, not happy at all, EA who runs tring sewage works dont want to seem to know, my thoughts are, where are the workers scooping it off the surface etc, it seems its ok to let sewage go into the canal and leave it alone.

Dirty dirty boaters, how dare they come along in their dirty dirty boats and make the water dirty like this.

I think it's disgusting and they should pay to be on the canal, bloody freeloaders.

Does this make it acceptable to empty your "bucket and chuck it" into the cut, (or indeed to flick your dog poo in), until the EA have resolved the bigger issue.

(For the avoidance of doubt, and hopefully flak, that was not a serious question, but presumably some of what has been disposed of properly by boaters into local sanitary stations may now be in the cut anyway!....)

I wish I had been more aware of this yesterday and the day before.

I might have made even greater efforts to try and stop the dog drinking canal water whilst we were walking him just North of Maffers.

I must admit I've never been happy for Dennis to do this but thankfully he doesn't try.

I suspect Alfie, my daughters dog (same breed as yours) would do just that though.

I must admit I've never been happy for Dennis to do this but thankfully he doesn't try.

I suspect Alfie, my daughters dog (same breed as yours) would do just that though.

It is incredibly hard to stop them...... Impossible in fact, some of the time.

smiley_offtopic.gif

Unfortunately what has actually befallen Odin with his tow path walks is not very nice.

We became aware of him limping, but not seriously, and assumed he had sprained something running around.

Unfortunately shortly after back at the boat, he was clearly in great discomfort walking at all.

It seems that in playing some enthusiastic ball chasing games he has badly worn away part of the pads on both his front feet, which now don't look very nice at all. The tow path is no rougher than many, but it seems that a fair amount of screeching to a halt and rapid reversing have taken its toll. We have never seen anything like it before, and were unaware of such dangers.

He is very unhappy to move any more than strictly necessary today, and hence unusually being allowed to "toilet" in the garden. Seeing Cath bodily pick up maybe 30 kilos of "Lab" and carry him back in this morning, when he clearly didn't feel like walking was a sight to behold.

So folks, the tow path can damage your dog more it seems than him dringing water fromn a cut that I now understand has raw sewage in it.

Are you sure it is not this years growth of underwater vegetation pushing off last years growth, it has always happened every year I can remember, if you stir it with a stick it usually disperses in small cloudy bits.

I would be inclined to agree with this unless a photo in good resolution is forthcoming

I would be inclined to agree with this unless a photo in good resolution is forthcoming

So to be clear, are you suggesting that Thames Water are freely admitting to a sewage spill that they haven't actually had?

Wouldn't that seem a rather odd thing for them to want to do?

????

Senior environmental scientist for the Canal and River Trust Sally Grainger said: “We are working with Thames Water and the Environment Agency to try and prevent this happening again and will be closely monitoring the situation.”

ed - cross posted Alan beat me to it.

Edited by The Dog House

I was at Marsworth yesterday by the Red Lion bridge, and all I saw was was I posted yesterday, I am so confident that I what I saw I would willingly drink. It is old growth being pushed up by new growth, call me tomorrow on my mobile and I will meet you there and demonstrate.

Ive been here 3yrs and it not vegetation, everyones up in arms about this, its been on the news in local papers etc, not happy at all, EA who runs tring sewage works dont want to seem to know, my thoughts are, where are the workers scooping it off the surface etc, it seems its ok to let sewage go into the canal and leave it alone.

This happens on the Lee when we get heavy rainfall. Not nice is it?

the picture in the linked article looks like what J R ALSOP said it is, to me.

its a bit technical but if there was a sewage spill would the turds be whole?

maybe there HAS been a spill but what people are SEEING is in fact what J R ALSOP said it is, this seems most probable.

don't drink the water Roger ! :lol:

This happens on the Lee when we get heavy rainfall. Not nice is it?

Happens at a majority of sewage works if rain water gets in with sewage called combined sewer overflows (CSOs), heavy rain and the system gets overwhelmed. see http://www.sas.org.uk/campaigns/sewage-and-sickness/2012/10/22/uk-raw-sewage-discharges-illegal/

This does look like what I see every spring. An algal mat floating up to the surface from the bottom. As JR Alsop says it breaks up into a cloudy murk if you prod it with a stick. I certainly saw this at Cheddington over the weekend.

Does he not always accompany Biggles?

Or is everyone too young to remember Biggles?

Biggles, Algae, and their mate Ginger?

I much preferred the first world war stories

I once emptied the top flushing tank of a PortaPotti into the cut for reasons I can't remember. The top tank that is, which contains the clean water for flushing, not the cassette.

I looked up when finished to see another boater standing watching me. I felt driven to go and explain that it was clean water from the top tank. He clearly didn't believe me, and he will no doubt regaling people for ever more about catching this bloke emptying his cassette in the cut in full view and with no shame! :(

MtB