What's on your roof

Detling

Featured Posts

As I traverse the canal system I see many boats which seem to be defying all naval architecture rules by staying the right way up, despite having everything from coal heaps to gardens on their roof. I am boring I only have a plank a boat hook and a long shaft, occasionally a Nicholson's guide before it gets blown into the cut. I was wondering who has the most useful/junk on their roof.

Mushroom vents, centre lines and t stud, fenders if I remember to lift 'em, hook, pole and plank, a next to useless useless omni directional TV aerial, life ring and usually the working aerial laid in it's side.

..... and a bag of coal or two in the winter.

IMG_0918.jpg

and a bit a bit of grime if we haven't washed it for a awhile....

Edited by The Dog House

Mushroom vents, centre lines and t stud, fenders if I remember to lift 'em, hook, pole and plank, a next to useless useless omni directional TV aerial, life ring and usually the working aerial laid in it's side.

..... and a bag of coal or two in the winter.

IMG_0918.jpg

and a bit a bit of grime if we haven't washed it for a awhile....

Ours is much the same smile.png

Edited by IanM

Oh how I dream of having a nice clean roof.

I have 3 bicycles.

I have coal.

I have a kayak (belonging to a relative who hasnt taken it with him)

I have a folded up clothes windydrier.

I have a boat paddle

I have 2 boxes containing "stuff" I cant throw away.

I sometimes have some wood up there.

It's a never ending battle.

My philosophy of life on a boat is:

1. The deck is going to get muddy 5mins after I've mopped it.

2. The roof is going to get muddy 5mins after I've mopped it.

3. When I move something to make it look pretty, someones going to ask me to store something there.

4. If I paint it, tomorrow it's scratched.

Simples.

As I traverse the canal system I see many boats which seem to be defying all naval architecture rules by staying the right way up, despite having everything from coal heaps to gardens on their roof. I am boring I only have a plank a boat hook and a long shaft, occasionally a Nicholson's guide before it gets blown into the cut. I was wondering who has the most useful/junk on their roof.

A couple of weeks ago I was told about a fleet of hire boats from the 60s/70s that had the watertank on the roof because it meant that the boats didn't need water pumps. Anyone know anything about such a system?

Rik

A couple of weeks ago I was told about a fleet of hire boats from the 60s/70s that had the watertank on the roof because it meant that the boats didn't need water pumps. Anyone know anything about such a system?

Rik

link to previous discussion

ed to correct link

Edited by The Dog House

Hi all

It's a personal thing , but I can't bear to have a cluttered roof. The gangplank and long shaft sit forward, towards the stern are a couple of water cans forward of the chimney, they support the mop handle and rear of the 8 foot short shaft. The rear line is coiled and set on the slide, which forms a handy mat for windlasses. Oh, and centre line coiled too, close to the anchor point, offset to the towpath side. The anorak lives in an inside wardrobe and can also be found on the footboard steering ( not driving!) the boat.!!!!

Cheers

Dave

2 Planks, pole, boat hook, fenders in gutter when we are moving. Centre line neatly laid down the roof to be available to the steerer when needed. (Nerver coiled in the centre of the roof, and certainly not dropped there in a mess.)

Occasionally tea pot and mugs stc, and even cake plates. (Where are the cake eating and tea drinking smilies!!!)

What's never on our roof when under way is people!!! (And rarely when not under way.)

Sue

Quite a lot of stuff, and planning to add a small garden (for shallow growing salad plants, such as lettuce).

On a related note, when we bought our boat there was a large storage box on the roof, making it impossible to see the front of the boat. It took me a couple of bumps off the harbour wall (each of our journeys starts with a very awkward turn in a very small space) before I realised that moving it further back allowed me much better visibility. I assume the previous owners just knew how long their boat was.

2 Solar panels, 2 planks, boat hook, long and short poles, assorted fenders, 2 bikes, bags of coal (up to 10 bags) silly useless omni aerial, decent TV aerial with short and long mounting poles. 2 centre lines, one running down each side of boat and coiled at stern. Lifebuoy. Chimney cap. A mounting bracket for TV aerial.

Edited by Kiwidad

Two coiled centre lines

A life ring

My cratch frame, folded flat

An assortment of flowerpots I have just planted a load of seeds in

Coal

A folded clothes airer

A hosepipe

A big fishing net, folded flat

A boathook

Two brushes

A mop

Fenders

Soon-to-be solar panels (which may mean that some of the other stuff has to come down).

Often a cat or two (only when moored, unless something has gone badly wrong).

Edited by Starcoaster

2 Solar panels, 2 planks, boat hook, long and short poles, assorted fenders, 2 bikes, bags of coal (up to 10 bags) silly useless omni aerial, decent TV aerial with short and long mounting poles. 2 centre lines, one running down each side of boat and coiled at stern. Lifebuoy. Chimney cap.

pikey....