TV licence

Retro69

Featured Posts

Oh dear, some seriously brainwashed people who've Been brainwashed by the "system" all their lives here.

"You must pay for a TV license because you HAVE to"

Boo hoo. Why should People be bullied into paying for a TV license just because the BBC say so?? Move with the times and sell advertising space if you want to earn money - this country is beyond a joke with its ridiculous taxes on EVERYTHING and most corporations AND the government are all In on it ripping the public off at any opportunity! Good on Julian for using that loophole and more fool the rest of you that just do as your told cos you're all quaking in your boots and believing you're "doing the right thing"

We're all being played as often as possible - play the game back!

ETA - yes I have a boat license and yes I have a mooring before anyone starts! Certain things are just a piss take tho - the TV license being one of them - being incredibly out dated and almost medieval. Move with the times, no one even watches BBc these days as its incredibly crap and biased towards the royal family - another outdated ideal that should be scrapped but don't even get me started on those layabouts that have done sod all during their whole lives and just get our taxes for nothing! No better than benefit spongers, They're the same!

Edited by lewisericeric
  • Greenie 1

Sorry I pay because I thought I had to, by law....not because the BBC say so.

For those that don't good luck to you,

as to if I'm happy to partly cover your non payment, not really but I really ain't going to get stressed over it no more than I do over people who don't properly license their boats....

There are freeloaders in all walks of life....including not paying for a TV licence when they should.

Oh dear, some seriously brainwashed people who've Been brainwashed by the "system" all their lives here.

"You must pay for a TV license because you HAVE to"

Boo hoo. Why should People be bullied into paying for a TV license just because the BBC say so?? Move with the times and sell advertising space if you want to earn money - this country is beyond a joke with its ridiculous taxes on EVERYTHING and most corporations AND the government are all In on it ripping the public off at any opportunity! Good on Julian for using that loophole and more fool the rest of you that just do as your told cos you're all quaking in your boots and believing you're "doing the right thing"

We're all being played as often as possible - play the game back!

ETA - yes I have a boat license and yes I have a mooring before anyone starts! Certain things are just a piss take tho - the TV license being one of them - being incredibly out dated and almost medieval. Move with the times, no one even watches BBc these days as its incredibly crap and biased towards the royal family - another outdated ideal that should be scrapped but don't even get me started on those layabouts that have done sod all during their whole lives and just get our taxes for nothing! No better than benefit spongers, They're the same!

Ah what logic

- - I see you manage to justify which licences you think you should pay for

The logic of the TV licence is much the same as a boat owner on BW waters being forced to pay for a EA licence even though they have no desire to venture onto the Thames. Such as it is for those who wish to watch for example, Sky, and never want to watch the BBC.

The logic of the TV licence is much the same as a boat owner on BW waters being forced to pay for a EA licence even though they have no desire to venture onto the Thames. Such as it is for those who wish to watch for example, Sky, and never want to watch the BBC.

"

The requirement to hold a TV Licence and to pay a fee for it is mandated by law under the Communications Act 2003 and the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended). You need to be covered by a TV Licence no matter what device you use to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and DVD/VHS recorders.

The BBC, through TV Licensing, is discharging the statutory duties imposed on it by the above law to issue TV Licences and collect the licence fee."

I know.

And the vast majority of the licence fee goes to the BBC, a budget of 3.5 billion a year, of which I'm contributing precisely £0. Hence the boat licence analogy. Further, it is also illegal to watch a live tv broadcast streamed over the net from another country without holding a tv licence. It's a funny old world.

"

The requirement to hold a TV Licence and to pay a fee for it is mandated by law under the Communications Act 2003 and the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended). You need to be covered by a TV Licence no matter what device you use to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and DVD/VHS recorders.

The BBC, through TV Licensing, is discharging the statutory duties imposed on it by the above law to issue TV Licences and collect the licence fee."

All irrelevant if you don't have an address though :wacko:

Think I'm going to be unpopular , we listen to BBC radio a lot and watch some TV, I think the license is pretty good value. I think however that you should just need one licence per household ie if you own house , boat and caravan just one license not that I own all 3.

• Greenie 1

Think I'm going to be unpopular , we listen to BBC radio a lot and watch some TV, I think the license is pretty good value. I think however that you should just need one licence per household ie if you own house , boat and caravan just one license not that I own all 3.

One licence does cover all three provided only one place is watching TV at a time.

So if The licence address is empty and you are on The boat then its fine to watch TV on the boat.

As long as the caravan is not a static one you will normally be within the law.

A static caravan normally counts as a second home and needs it's own licence.

As long as the caravan is not a static one you will normally be within the law.

A static caravan normally counts as a second home and needs it's own licence.

Actually a static caravan only needs its own licence if you to watch TV at the main property and the caravan at the same time. It you watch at one or the other your main licence covers you and that it what we did when we had a static caravan. So technically if we had set the video at home to record a program while we were at the caravan and watching TV we would have broken the law, so of course we never did that.

Touring caravans and boats have no restriction they are simply covered my your main properties TV licence.

So how do you manage with your driving licence, HMRC documents, (VAT?), accountan'ts documents?

They relate to a person, the Tv licence is "tied" to an address (LASSY databse). Six months after not renewing my partners TV licence, the threatening letters reverted from her name to "legal occupier" .

So how do you manage with your driving licence, HMRC documents, (VAT?), accountan'ts documents?

Bump!

Thanks for the advice, but I'm happy to take my chances though as I don't intend to have any address, and I'm not going to be forced to by the requirement of a TV licence, If I'm wrong and get in trouble, then I'll have to suffer the consequences.

Actually a static caravan only needs its own licence if you to watch TV at the main property and the caravan at the same time. It you watch at one or the other your main licence covers you and that it what we did when we had a static caravan. So technically if we had set the video at home to record a program while we were at the caravan and watching TV we would have broken the law, so of course we never did that.

Touring caravans and boats have no restriction they are simply covered my your main properties TV licence.

It needs completion of a declaration form and often people have family at home watching tv at the same time not realising this breaches the law.

Edited by The Dog House

They relate to a person, the Tv licence is "tied" to an address (LASSY databse). Six months after not renewing my partners TV licence, the threatening letters reverted from her name to "legal occupier" .

My point was that another poster was claiming he couldn't apply for a TV licence because he didn't have an address....

hence my question

and there's your answer, obviously TVL aren't going to turn away free money so they will "make up" a new entry in LASSY.

The law requires you to have a TV licence if you watch TV as it's broadcast. There are no exceptions, as far as I know.

So, if you watch TV at the time it is broadcast (i.e. not on Iplayer or some other system at a later time), you must have a licence. Saying that you don't have an address is your excuse for trying to buck the system and watch TV illegally. To licence your boat, you have to have a postal address. You can use the same one for the TV licence. Law abiding people (the majority of boaters, I suspect) will have no truck with boaters who intentionally breach the law or think that they have got the better of it by, in their view, finding ways round it. You haven't - you are simply breaking the law! Stop trying to justify what you are doing, and pay up, like all fair minded people do. The licence means you can watch TV all day, every day, for less than 40p a day!

• Greenie 1