The Bargee

Psycloud

Featured Posts

This is incorrect that part of "Sunny Valley" is (or was) displayed at Stoke Bruerne museum, though - that was a fairly crude replica cabin, not part of a real boat.

The butty cabin replica in the Canal Museum is a copy of the one made by Nurser's yard for the film. The same workers made the replica for the Museum and signed it behind the bed hole cupboard. Because it was only a 'set' none of the cupboards were made to open. It is still on display in a new setting on the top floor of the Museum.

I think you will find the pub he staggers out of is the White Lion at Marsworth :http://goo.gl/maps/II4I9

The door Mr. Turnbull comes out of is now blocked up, but he does go off in the direction of the arm - away from Marsworth top. But who cares!

My copy is on boat so I will look at the weekend but I think he is staggering towards the White Lion from the Anglers Retreat. Need to look again at the inside shots to see if it is 3 Horseshoes

In 'A Bridge to Far' the bridge scenes are filmed in Deventer, because the Arnhem bridge had been destroyed after the battle... There are also modern Leopard 1 tanks used ,'disguised' as Panther tanks

the worst most laughable cringeworthy war film ever ? Dropping containers of Berets, my arse.

Lets see if this works - not done it before:

Mr. Turnbull leaves the pub:

WhiteLion1Small_zpsd5cc935b.jpg

And heads off towards 'home' (the handrail and the chequer painted bridge parapet are clear):

WhiteLion2Small_zps4ae354a8.jpg

The doorway has been completely removed since. Also, the road surface has been raised leaving less of the handrail and bridge parapet visible - plus there's now a metal footbridge crossing the cut beside the road bridge. No towpath under the bridge.

Edited to add:

The 'pub' depicted as 'The Boat Horse', run by Nellie Marsh (Miriam Karlin) at 'Rickmansworth', is actually Black Jacks.

Edited by Derek R.

My wife and I are indeed the proud owners of Banstead which we have owned since 2008. We spent several years working on her and it is now a fully functioning printmaking studio. You can see some photos on the attached address:

http://www.printmakingafloat.co.uk/Photogallery.htm

Click on the large photo to get next photo(I appoligise, we are currently working on the site, so some of the info and pictures are being updated).

We are so pleased that we have been able to pair Banstead with Bodmin giving us the converted boat to live on and the unconverted to use as the studio.

We will be at Ricky, come and see us if you would like a look around

Ben

Hi Ben, just had a look round your website, it looks great and nice to see Banstead looking grand!

To fill in some more history for people. My parents bought 'Banstead' in 2000 from Roger Lorenz in Manchester where she had been used as a mud pan. She was taken back to Boot Wharf in Nuneaton where they, and the late Harry Glover restored her. She was then taken back to Langley Mill where she was fitted out as a camper and worked with the Small Woolwich "Meteor" for several years until she was sold in 2004.

Here are some photos of her when purchased, apologies for the quality!

6a3c006a-2fee-4349-8073-3e4638bea076_zps66a747cd.jpg

95d271e6-ce5b-435a-86d1-abae6a02da4c_zps52b91f02.jpg

f4fe9254-a0a6-494e-aef2-501edd078f1e_zps3f57613f.jpg

7696a0f9-52ef-4fa4-91fa-fac4f7dd95bf_zps3ba5b9b9.jpg

Regards

Dan

I am saddened to read the reference to "The late Harry Glover" - I assume this was "Harry The Stretcher" who owned Boot Wharf? Met him a few times when we moored at Springwood Haven, he seemed quite a character, I was even privileged to be shown the restored single-decker bus in his warehouse.

Then suddenly he'd gone, retired we were told, and I think Tony Gallimore took the premises over for the boatbuilding company he founded after leaving Measham Boats. I assume he's still in production there.

Hi Athy,

It is indeed Harry 'The Stretcher', he unfortunately passed away last week. His funeral is this Thursday i believe. He was a true gent, and a skilled boatbuilder. As kids, we used to play in his bus when he ran the yard at Langley Mill, he shall be sorely missed.

Dan

Lets see if this works - not done it before:

Mr. Turnbull leaves the pub:

WhiteLion1Small_zpsd5cc935b.jpg

And heads off towards 'home' (the handrail and the chequer painted bridge parapet are clear):

WhiteLion2Small_zps4ae354a8.jpg

The doorway has been completely removed since. Also, the road surface has been raised leaving less of the handrail and bridge parapet visible - plus there's now a metal footbridge crossing the cut beside the road bridge. No towpath under the bridge.

Edited to add:

The 'pub' depicted as 'The Boat Horse', run by Nellie Marsh (Miriam Karlin) at 'Rickmansworth', is actually Black Jacks.

Guess I got it wrong then! :lol:

White Lion it most definately is. BTW, a towpath sort of does go under the bridge, on the opposite side to the White Lion, there are towpaths on both sides of the canal at this point.

Thank you for putting the facts up with the stills Derek.

:cheers:

Hi Athy,

It is indeed Harry 'The Stretcher', he unfortunately passed away last week. His funeral is this Thursday i believe. He was a true gent, and a skilled boatbuilder. As kids, we used to play in his bus when he ran the yard at Langley Mill, he shall be sorely missed.

Dan

Thanks SD, sad news, though I guess he must have had quite a long innings.

Screen shots taken from the DVD on pause using 'print screen' (PrtScn button top right), then pasted in 'paint' saved as jpeg files. Never thought I'd be smart enough to get that done! Old hat to many, not to me.

There are indeed paths either side from lock 39 owing to the arm going off to the West, though there is none beneath the bridge for continuous towing, the sides of the bridge go straight down to water same as they do at Dudswell. But yes, there is a path under the other arch which is dry. Popular spot during Summer. That new footbridge does eliminate a lot of danger from traffic, but not from idiots.

I wouldn't place too much ability to identify any pub from the inside shots, as there would almost certainly be a set made up somewhere. I do remember Black Jacks being a restaurant, but was it a pub before that, anyone know? I always assumed it to be part of the mill.

Hi Ben, just had a look round your website, it looks great and nice to see Banstead looking grand!

To fill in some more history for people. My parents bought 'Banstead' in 2000 from Roger Lorenz in Manchester where she had been used as a mud pan. She was taken back to Boot Wharf in Nuneaton where they, and the late Harry Glover restored her. She was then taken back to Langley Mill where she was fitted out as a camper and worked with the Small Woolwich "Meteor" for several years until she was sold in 2004.

Here are some photos of her when purchased, apologies for the quality!

6a3c006a-2fee-4349-8073-3e4638bea076_zps66a747cd.jpg

95d271e6-ce5b-435a-86d1-abae6a02da4c_zps52b91f02.jpg

f4fe9254-a0a6-494e-aef2-501edd078f1e_zps3f57613f.jpg

7696a0f9-52ef-4fa4-91fa-fac4f7dd95bf_zps3ba5b9b9.jpg

Regards

Dan

Dan

You have talked about your parents owning Banstead on the forum before. Great to see some photos. I have a few that were given to me by Roger Lorenz when I met him at Ricky about 3 maybe 4 years ago. Love to see any other photos that you have some time, always lovely to track and see a bit more of a boats history.

Thanks for sharing

Ben

There are indeed paths either side from lock 39 owing to the arm going off to the West, though there is none beneath the bridge for continuous towing, the sides of the bridge go straight down to water same as they do at Dudswell. But yes, there is a path under the other arch which is dry. Popular spot during Summer. That new footbridge does eliminate a lot of danger from traffic, but not from idiots.

I wouldn't place too much ability to identify any pub from the inside shots, as there would almost certainly be a set made up somewhere. I do remember Black Jacks being a restaurant, but was it a pub before that, anyone know? I always assumed it to be part of the mill.

I stand corrected on that particular point & agree that the actual access would prevent a tow rope pulling a boat from the lock.

My erronious presumption was based on the outside shots, not the inside ones, so you got me bang to rights on that one.

Edited by Spuds

Screen shots taken from the DVD on pause using 'print screen' (PrtScn button top right), then pasted in 'paint' saved as jpeg files. Never thought I'd be smart enough to get that done! Old hat to many, not to me.

Have always kmown it as a restaurant but it was converted into a pub for an episode of Midsummer Murders! (The one where thet found bodies in an abandoned canal tunnel)

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Dan

You have talked about your parents owning Banstead on the forum before. Great to see some photos. I have a few that were given to me by Roger Lorenz when I met him at Ricky about 3 maybe 4 years ago. Love to see any other photos that you have some time, always lovely to track and see a bit more of a boats history.

Thanks for sharing

Ben

Hi Ben, I was more filling in others about the history than reminding you, as i knew we'd talked about it previously. I think my parents still have a full restoration book on her, i'll see what i can dig up, next time i'm around there, unless my dad comes on here first and beats me to it!!

Here's one when she was running as a camper with 'Meteor' at Trent Lock.

Copyright Chris and Jan Deuchar (taken from HNBC website)

bansteadmeteor2005trentlockcjd_zpsc83788be.jpg

Regards,

Dan

Oh I wasn't trying to 'pick you up' Spuds, I'm afraid it's the 'Virgo' in me - crossing the 't's and dotting the 'i's. Makes me come over as a bit of a know it all - when I don't!

Elstree is mentioned in the credits, so there may have been some set work done there. Don't know how much was done in the house at Maffas top, but the bit that tickles me is when Turnbull slams a sash window shut for fear of him being heard outside when remonstrating with the Doctor, and you hear the glass break. I get the feeling that wasn't meant to happen as Turnbull (Griffiths) does a double take of the window, but carries on as if it didn't matter. Professional!

Haven't followed Midsummer Murders so missed that one.

Oh I wasn't trying to 'pick you up' Spuds, I'm afraid it's the 'Virgo' in me - crossing the 't's and dotting the 'i's. Makes me come over as a bit of a know it all - when I don't!

Elstree is mentioned in the credits, so there may have been some set work done there. Don't know how much was done in the house at Maffas top, but the bit that tickles me is when Turnbull slams a sash window shut for fear of him being heard outside when remonstrating with the Doctor, and you hear the glass break. I get the feeling that wasn't meant to happen as Turnbull (Griffiths) does a double take of the window, but carries on as if it didn't matter. Professional!

Haven't followed Midsummer Murders so missed that one.

I didn't see it like that Derek, so no apologies needed. In fact, I'm pleased to have found out the proper location for that scene seeing as I only have it on vid & my VCR is knackered!

Mate, when it comes to remembering films, my recollections are not what they were these days! unknow.gif

Hi Ben, I was more filling in others about the history than reminding you, as i knew we'd talked about it previously. I think my parents still have a full restoration book on her, i'll see what i can dig up, next time i'm around there, unless my dad comes on here first and beats me to it!!

Here's one when she was running as a camper with 'Meteor' at Trent Lock.

Copyright Chris and Jan Deuchar (taken from HNBC website)

bansteadmeteor2005trentlockcjd_zpsc83788be.jpg

Regards,

Dan

Dan

I would be very interested to see the restoration book as would like to build an accurate timeline for Bansteads life (and also Bodmin if anyone can help, any photos or information would be gratefully received), Did your parents sell to Kevin and Sarah then, when Banstead was paired with Naples (K and S carriers)? Thanks again Dan for the info

Ben

Hi Ben, yes i believe they did. They tried to sell Meteor and Banstead as a pair, but as we see too often, no one wanted to buy a pair!

I know quite a bit of steel was replaced, certainly the bottom was a colander, and much of the counter was done too, as well as a new cabin. I remember being sent into the front locker with a grinder and wire brush and told to come out when it was cleaned.......oh the joy!!

Dan

Bellerophon was acquired by Shropshire Union Cruises from BW in 1968 to replace wooden horse drawn trip boat Iona. At the time it was lying at Hillmorton yard. I worked it back to Norbury with my motor Lily & it was fitted out in the drydock at the end of the arm which in those days had no roof

I was told,no official dvd of The Bargee was available,only video.Is there now a cosher dvd?

I was involved in pushing very hard for this titles release on DVD.

The whole run of 300 CanalPlus ex "Ealing" titles were released by "Optimum Releasing" around 2009, these included the titles "The Bargee" and "Painted boats". The licence has I believe now expired and the ones left are remainder stock. The chance of these titles ever being re released again is very slim so I would advise if you want a copy and its available then buy it befdore they dissapear.

Sadly the company involved in the major marketing of these "special interest" titles has now decided to go for mainstream media in the whole so we are left with our "special interest" films having to struggle for survival. Its for this reason alone I (AS LHP films) have not released any more waterway based titles of late, not that I havent the material to publish but the larger market is no longer there. The waterway films have never been a major seller against rail or road but now even these genres are hard to market at a good price. Amazon have done a lot of damage in my opinion to the smaller film makers by selling at unrealistic prices, great for them but no profit for the producers.

• 3 weeks later...

I've only recently started to look at this thread, so forgive me if I go over old ground. Whilst we are discussing what "errors" were made during the making of The Bargee I'm sure many readers would also be interested to know that the portions of Dr Who filmed on the Dalek home world of Skaro were actually in a gravel pit somewhere. In other words, yes, we know. Like others have already pointed out, The Bargee was not a documentary, and in order for the story to make sense, and look good to the viewer, certain liberties have to be taken. Galton and Simpson wrote the script, and then the Director has to make the locations fit. The script said the house is near the pub, so they have to cut the film to make it look like that. In fact, when this film was being made, I was living on board the Aye at Marsworth Yard, which was one of the few remaining working boats around at the time, taking concrete piles from Marsworth to various locations for repair work. My Dad was Sam Horne, skipper of Ayno and Air. We were living through the sort of changes that the film mirrored, the end of the canal carrying era. What I didn't know then was that even with its "errors" this film gives a good idea of the look of the canals in this period.

• Greenie 1