Seven boaters in court

Troyboy

Featured Posts

According to an item on the Wisbech Standard website dated 6/3/13 seven boaters were fined at Peterborough Magistrates Court on 5th March 2013 .

All offences were contrary to article 4[1] and 18[1] of the Environment Agency [inland Waterways ] Order 2010.

For keeping or using a vessel on the River Ouse at Buckden on 8th November 2012 without being registered with the Environment Agency

Ralph Evans of Jenkins Close , Stevenage pleaded guilty by post and fined £100 with compensation of £865

Mark Jones of Castle Hill Court , Huntingdon proved in absence fined £200 compensation £788

Michael Flemming of Church Way, Alconbury Weston proved in absence fined £200 , compensation £308.

Alan Gough of Church Street, Buckden proved in absence fined £100 [ vessel registered after being seen so no compensation ]

Luciano Lombardo, of Dunstable Road , Luton proved in absence , fined £200 ,compensation £399.

For keeping or using a boat on the River Nene on 4th September 2012 without being registered with the Environment Agency

Joseph Punt of Lister Road , Peterborough proved in absence fined £200 compensation £308 .

For keeping or using a boat on the River Great Ouse on 17th September 2012 without being registered with the Environment Agency

Andrew Russell of Octagon Drive, Wisbech proved in absence , fined £200 , compensation £308 .

In addition all the above defendants were ordered to pay £115 costs and a victim surcharge of £20 .

Good to see the EA persuing unlicensed boaters and more importantly naming those offenders .

Whats a victim surcharge? and hows it apply in this sort of case?

Thanks

payable to all those IWA/NBW members unable to get moorings on August Bank Holiday due to the aforesaid boats presence.

Edited by matty40s

what is there to gain from knowing the names? and how does one get permission to boat on 'your lovely river?'

I suppose it's no different from any other case that gets to a court, the information is in the public domain.

I note all the varying costs of compensation, I'm assuming this is the calculated amounts of unpaid license fee.

Persons names who have been convicted become public knowledge, I'm sure their names will be published in the press somewhere, and I can bet all related future convictions of individuals, someone somewhere will post their names on here.

A good incentive to pay your due license fee me thinks.

what is there to gain from knowing the names? and how does one get permission to boat on 'your lovely river?'

As others have said, by putting your hand in your pocket....

I stump up a small fortune for licence and Insurance while these seven idiots use the same waters for nothing?

Naming and shaming is a great idea, and something the EA has done for sometime.

I shall be doing some trail boating on the broads this year, won't be cheap for short term licence, but its part of the deal, you want to boat there pay yer money.....

I shall be doing some trail boating on the broads this year, won't be cheap for short term licence, but its part of the deal, you want to boat there pay yer money.....

Where do you plan to slip, you know there is a new slipway at Cantley http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/default.aspx?page=display&nodeid=3607

You could argue that. Or you could argue that it is a component of the one fine, accounted for separately in order to ring-fence it for a specific purpose.

I think that's a good way of putting it.

Victim Surcharge

Fines go into the General Exchequer, but the victim surcharge goes into a ring-fenced fund that makes grants to organisations that directly support the victims of crime.

Victims and witnesses funding awards

Thanks, that's made it clear.

I see £20 is the minimum charged, increasing to £120 maximum.

I'm pleased its not topping up the EA's coffers.

Where do you plan to slip, you know there is a new slipway at Cantley http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/default.aspx?page=display&nodeid=3607

I know cantley very well indeed, spent a lot of my youth on the broads, especially on the yare, we could be considered locals at the red house when Scotty and mum were running it, short trip by boat from hardley dyke, the little maylands former home.

They have done a smashing job at cantley staithe, but I will be slipping at oulton holiday village, dad keeps his boat there, so will start and finish there, secure parking for car and trailer too.

Will be good to get back on the broads on the little boat, especially after the wash out that was 2012 on the nene and ouse!