Living on the K&A

Julysea

Featured Posts

Hi all, just after some personal experiences and recommendations. I have a 69x11ft widebeam which I am hoping to move down to the K&A permanently (I know it's a huge beast, there are reasons for that!). Obviously, I know that none of us live onboard in non-residential moorings ;) , but say I was to want a mooring, either on the canalside or in a marina on the K&A, does anyone have any personal experience of where would be a good place to go or to avoid? Any places which are tolerant and any that are not? Any that have a good community for families living aboard and any that aren't great for kids?

Any experience or opinions would be helpful, just to give me a place to start looking!

Thanks! :cheers:

In view of the lack of replies maybe take the hint and try the Leeds & Liverpool.

In view of the lack of replies maybe take the hint and try the Leeds & Liverpool.

Possibly not the most helpful of replies Sue, even given in duplicate.

Have your many years as a live-aboard come up with a way of fitting a 69 foot wide-beam in to 62 foot L&L locks that the rest of us have not heard of? :wacko:

The lack of (positive) replies implies to me the the question is not easily answered on an open forum, i'd think that investing in a bit of leg work and discussing the problem with people that know the k&a first hand would be worthwhile. I don't think there are many( if any) official live on moorings on the k&a. But it happens.

There are many people living on the k&a on Fatboats, it can be done (at the moment) with relative ease, and certain spots seem to attract widebeam craft (crt moorings at great bedwyn being one & Reading marine's old moorings at aldermaston warfe another)

Good luck

Paul

As always GSer speaks good sense.

You certainly won't be the biggest boat on the K&A, but your length will make it quite a lot harder to find a mooring.

If you are willing to be out in the sticks, keep away from the Western end hot spots, and make some attempt to move about, then you can get away as a CC'er. However word on the cut is certainly that CaRT are clamping down on this. One of the CaRT moorings at Bedwyn would be ideal but you might be bidding against one or two other 70 footers!

It might be worth talking to the new Caan Hill marina, but that is rapidly filling up, I think there is maybe only one 70 foot slot left and this is probably Narrow. Devizes marina sometimes has official residential moorings but they do cost!

The new marina at Hungerford is just about to happen but after years of objections I imagine un-official residential use will be impossible. Maybe they will want a caretaker??????

.........Dave

Snip...

The new marina at Hungerford is just about to happen but after years of objections I imagine un-official residential use will be impossible. Maybe they will want a caretaker??????

.........Dave

Really? It may be quicker to wait for continental drift to create a hole...

Really? It may be quicker to wait for continental drift to create a hole...

Story is that the site is now owned by some sort of leisure/caravan type company. They have just re-submitted plans for a simple marina without the houses/hotels/shops/workshops etc etc and are ready to start at once if they get approval.

I have mixed feelings as its a nice quiet bit of the canal and too many boats will be sad.

However if they were to start selling diesel at a sensible price I would be happy!

.......Dave

Story is that the site is now owned by some sort of leisure/caravan type company. They have just re-submitted plans for a simple marina without the houses/hotels/shops/workshops etc etc and are ready to start at once if they get approval.

I have mixed feelings as its a nice quiet bit of the canal and too many boats will be sad.

However if they were to start selling diesel at a sensible price I would be happy!

.......Dave

I agree. Having now cruised a bit around the midlands I am staggered how quiet the K&A is in comparison. I have cruised the eastern end of the K&A for a whole day in August many times in the past without encountering a single nother moving boat (is that correct grammer? :D )

Fat chance of that on the shroppie!

Is that because they're all... Oh, never mind.

Yep, no boats ever move once they are on the K&A

Which is why there is room for at least 6 boats on the Bathampton moorings at the moment... if only anybody would ever move.

Oh, hang on, the hire boats move... one of which has already lost it's deposit due to the state it came back in.

You don't move onto the K&A for fun.

Where's Bizzard when we need him. What we need is the canal equivalent of the M6 toll road for the busy areas. Starting with the western section of the K&A and the London area we need aqueduct trucking running above the current canal with Anderson lift junctions (known as continuous cruiser junctions or CCJ's) every few miles this new route known as the "Ash" express way will offer trouble free cruising and elevated views of suburbia and countryside. Your new CRT CC license will entitle you to cruise at the extremely advantageous sum of £25 per day or portion thereof however know mooring is allowed to do this you must exit at your nearest CCJ and find your nearest available spot. Right Bizzard over to your design skills.

There are areas around Theale and then you want to be above Newbury to be off the river. Mooring up is a problem with a big boat as stakes pull out so a set of chains through arnco is good. There are a set of mooring pole of barge size just above a road bridge and lock on the eastern side the name escapes me for this cart mooring. otherwise just move every 2 weeks. We spent 2 years on the K&A with a barge no problem.

If only people had been as helpful the other day when you yourself were looking for advice.

The K&A may be quiet but there are not that many mooring sites. I have no idea what the availability is but your options are as follows:-

Starting from Reading

Burfield Island - its a club but it does have lots of mooring and quite a few widebeams

Tyle Mill - online some C&RT some private

Frouds Bridge Marina - near Aldermaston

Aldermaston - owned by ABC hire base located at Aldermaston used to be Reading Marine

Newbury - Greenham Island Marina - Ham Marina, places would be limited

Western side of Newbury (Northcroft) private moorings couple of families on widebeams living there.

Great Bedwyn - C&RT long term

Honey Street - C&RT I think

Pewsey - C&RT again

Horton - private mooring - I think it is a club

Devises Marina

Foxhangers Marina and some long term on line C&RT I think

After Foxhangers there are moorings, a couple of marinas and C&RT long term but I think you would be lucky to find one with that size of boat.

Good luck

Ken

No widebeams allowed at Kintbury I'm afraid. Not that there are any spaces either.

Rik

That's a surprise, many years back BW had boats breasted up there for quite a while.

Hungerford has a couple of BW moorings just below the lock but I think that they are ubsuitable for widebeams.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I hope you don't mind me contacting you this way. I'm a feature writer in London and I'd like to write about families who are living off the grid (or close to it) Would you consider talking to me?

Perhaps you could email or phone if you're interested and I can explain in more detail what this will involve? My email address is hannah.mouland@barcroftmedia.com my phone number is 020 7923 1827.

Best

Hannah