council tax

fizz12

Featured Posts

If it's residential & it's officially residential, CT is likely to be payable. Ask the marina first & other residential moorers before approaching the council. No point in raising your profile with them if you don't have to. If CT is payable, same as for homeowners, it doesn't matter what services you do or do not use, you still have to pay the full amount charged for your particular CT band.

can anyone tell me if a residential mooring is taken up, none marina, do oyu have to pay full council tax as we would be getting emptying our own dunnies, getting rid or our own rubbish, just a thought does anyone know

If it is an official (Planning Permission) residential mooring where you have sole use of a fixed location then yes, Band A CT is probably payable. I believe that you can claim a rebate for those days on which you do not occupy the mooring all day.

Many mooring agreements, including the BW/CART one, allow the mooring operator to move boats around a group of moorings at their discretion. In this case CT is probably not payable.

Talk to the RBOA. They are the experts on CT for residential moorings.

N

I think if your mooring is an official residential mooring, you can be subject to council tax.

Though if you leave temporarily to go cruising you can claim a rebate for the times you're not there resident

If it is an official (Planning Permission) residential mooring where you have sole use of a fixed location then yes, Band A CT is probably payable. I believe that you can claim a rebate for those days on which you do not occupy the mooring all day.

Many mooring agreements, including the BW/CART one, allow the mooring operator to move boats around a group of moorings at their discretion. In this case CT is probably not payable.

Talk to the RBOA. They are the experts on CT for residential moorings.

N

This is correct, we have a residential mooring, but as we do not have a fixed space we are exempt from council tax.

Though if you leave temporarily to go cruising you can claim a rebate for the times you're not there resident

Well, you wouldn't find me complaining about that, but I thought the tax applied to the mooring that, I presume, you would still hold.

can anyone tell me if a residential mooring is taken up, none marina, do oyu have to pay full council tax as we would be getting emptying our own dunnies, getting rid or our own rubbish, just a thought does anyone know

If you are liable to council tax you will have to pay the full amount (unless due to circumstances you are able to get a rebate) regardless of what services you do or don't use.

Plenty of people who live in a house do not use the full range of council services. I for example do not have children so have never drawn upon any council provided educational services.

i see thanks for that, seems it is just getting harder to live on a boat, only done it for about thre years and everything just goes wrong, considering selling up and using money to put non depost for flat, that is if we can get a mrgage at age 50 :unsure:

put a deposit on flat i mean dammmmm, got work but have to move on as cannot get perminent moorings whare we are, so could move on but then have no job util we find one, so wont be able to pay for moorings for a while, hell ct make it imossible to live the way we wanted, rant over,, sell boat

i see thanks for that, seems it is just getting harder to live on a boat, only done it for about thre years and everything just goes wrong, considering selling up and using money to put non depost for flat, that is if we can get a mrgage at age 50 :unsure:

put a deposit on flat i mean dammmmm, got work but have to move on as cannot get perminent moorings whare we are, so could move on but then have no job util we find one, so wont be able to pay for moorings for a while, hell ct make it imossible to live the way we wanted, rant over,, sell boat

But you won't escape the cost on land anyway.

Do you not just enjoy living on a boat? Ok, it's not free. It certainly seems less attractive to be tied to the spot and all those utility companies.

i loe the life living on a boat, but if we cant hold our jobs down due to no perminent moorings and we are being moved on by ct, so will lose our jobs again, i just cant see how to survive, we are in banbury and thinking of moving towards nottingham, so the money we will have from jobs (no savings), will probaby get us there, than we will have to find work again, just a visious circle really

however if anyone knows of any company needing a good sous chef, let us know :rolleyes:

But you won't escape the cost on land anyway.

Do you not just enjoy living on a boat? Ok, it's not free. It certainly seems less attractive to be tied to the spot and all those utility companies.

not about escaping costs, abut letting us live and earn to stay living the way we want

i loe the life living on a boat, but if we cant hold our jobs down due to no perminent moorings and we are being moved on by ct, so will lose our jobs again, i just cant see how to survive, we are in banbury and thinking of moving towards nottingham, so the money we will have from jobs (no savings), will probaby get us there, than we will have to find work again, just a visious circle really

however if anyone knows of any company needing a good sous chef, let us know :rolleyes:

Do you mean that you're being moved on by CRT?

not about escaping costs, abut letting us live and earn to stay living the way we want

Yes, sorry, don't know why, but I missed the bit about your work situation before making that post.

It's a common story. I find the answer very hard, but it's a problem of being able to work with the prevailing CC'ing 'code' and maintain a close enough distance to travel to work or, find a scarce mooring.

Edited by Higgs

Well, you wouldn't find me complaining about that, but I thought the tax applied to the mooring that, I presume, you would still hold.

I suspect that if you can be moved about, the mooring will simply attract Business rates (payable by the marina owner) instead of Council tax (payable by a permanent occupier).

Allan is right

Mk marina and willowbridge has a number of residential moorings

because its in their terms and conditions we can be moved arround

council tax is not payable

sounds crazy dosent it the moorings have been here for years

the moorings are subject to business rates only (payable by the marina owner)

obviously covered by his mooring rates

Col

ps isnt it simalar to, if you have a company car you pay tax towards having it, but if its a company pool car you dont??

must be some companys that just have amount of pool cars and keep changing cars arround its employers ??

or am i talking s+-t

is this right?

Edited by bigcol

How do...

Can you provide a source for that? Would interest me!

If you are liable to council tax you will have to pay the full amount

Not the case... a single pontoon may attract a single liability

Unless they've changed the rules since last the term "composite hereditament" was used here....

yes moved on

In another posting I think you were talking about going to Reading and CCing within a 20 mile radius, if you are working in Banbury and are prepared to travel 20 miles a day you can cruise from Oxford to half way up Hatton, or south on the GU to Cosgrove plus up the Leicester Line to Crick Tunnel. I would guess you could do that for a year without having CaRT chasing you. You could even winter in Warwick.

How do...

Can you provide a source for that? Would interest me!

The Council Tax (Exempt Dwellings) (Amendment) Order 1994

4 (f)after Class Q there shall be added the following Class—

“Class R: a dwelling consisting of a pitch or a mooring which is not occupied by a caravan or, as the case may be, a boat.”.

Certainly when I took up a BW residential mooring my local authority were quite happy to send me a nil bill whilst the boat wasn't there. I'm still not on that mooring so I haven't tried to investigate short-term non-exemption/exemption changes.

--

Dave