Canalside residents against boaters

Rambling

Featured Posts

Some boats are scruffy piles of dilapidated sh1t that nobody should have to looks at - it is those boats that cause the problem for all of us. Perhaps a few sideways comments to the culprits from those of us who present an acceptable face of boating might encourage a rise in overall standards?!

So if I arrive at Macclesfield visitor moorings in my shiny Hudson, I can run my engine until 8pm and the residents in the NEW houses nearby will not object?

Perhaps CART (ex BW) can change the notices they installed at the site telling me not to run my engine, to reflect the true feelings of the newcomers..................whoosh.................another porker flying by.

George ex nb Alton retired

Edited by furnessvale

We have some new flats opposite us put in where BW sold the mill there, they have complained and want us gone (ofcourse they do!). C&RT told me there is no chance of that!

It's like feeding pearls to swine. Can't the flats be demolished. Why do they build windows on the canal side of the building.

I think CRT have alot of work to do to gain public support for the canals.

Dave is adding a degree of his own interpretation, I suppose, (in as much as he seems to say if I don't actually ever make my lines secure, it seems I can keep my engine running!), but otherwise not a million miles away from what's stated, I would say.

Agreed - a totally common sense and logical interpretation.

Like any group, if we don't self regulate - we will have regulation forced upon us.

Agreed. Self-regulation is always the optimum route to avoiding oppressive outside regulation. Retaining such degree of liberty and freedom as we have depends upon voluntarily applying one of our Constitution’s most basic principles – that we should so use our liberty as to avoid giving offence or obstructing the liberty of others.

Oh, have they rewritten the rules since the last time I read them.

No, silly me, it's a Mayall rule.

No, the exemption for boats that are out of earshot is in the CRT licence terms.

Whilst it is flattering to know that you are so interested in my opinions that you cannot resist disagreeing with everything that I say, would it be too much to ask that just once in a while, you check your facts before having a hissy fit and claiming that I've invented something.

I don't think this is enforceable is it ?

apparently noise abatement laws say something about 9pm so I suppose that would be the route to take but then the problem boat moves...

Noise nuisance is a differernt kettle of fish

the 8pm-8am rule is a licence condition, so failure to comply could lead to your licence being revoked. Having your licence revoked can lead to your boat being removed,

• Greenie 1

Agreed. Self-regulation is always the optimum route to avoiding oppressive outside regulation. Retaining such degree of liberty and freedom as we have depends upon voluntarily applying one of our Constitution’s most basic principles – that we should so use our liberty as to avoid giving offence or obstructing the liberty of others.

The regulations are there already.

Traffic wardens don't waste time discussing the finer points of personal liberty with transgressors - they slap a ticket on them. It's blunt, but gets the message across....as long as it can be enforced.

Why doesn't any body speak to people that do this?

Whilst there may be a reason they need to do that occasionally this is just taking the mick.

I know I was derided on here for doing just that recently but unless we point out the error of their ways it will just escalate until the rules mean as little to all as they do to some.

There are many people who will find doing such a thing difficult. They may be wary of a confrontational response even violence. An older couple possibly approaching a younger individual may be an issue. There are known examples of such things escalating out of control some of which from time have been discussed here.

I agree that unless someone does tell the folk who run engines and generators after 8pm (and before 8am) they won't know it is wrong they won't know there is a problem. I suspect though that many do indeed know it is wrong and rely on not be "called out" for it or just do not care. The often used phrase "I would switch off if someone complained" does not wash or indeed "It is OK with my neighbours because no one has said anything".

I once moored behind some one . Who after 8 pm started their engine running. after 30 mins I went to ask them to stop they were just leaving their boat with the engine running. The answer I got was we are off to the pub and the engine is running to get some hot water when we get back. I asked them to switch off but all I got in return was a hale of abuse the gist of which after taking out all the swear words was that they were moored there first so could do what they liked so it was tough. Some folk do not care what they do and spoil it for others just that they are OK.

Some boats are scruffy piles of dilapidated sh1t that nobody should have to looks at - it is those boats that cause the problem for all of us. Perhaps a few sideways comments to the culprits from those of us who present an acceptable face of boating might encourage a rise in overall standards?!

I've seen quite a few floating junk yards where the boat roof is piled high full of crap - I expect if someone's paid hundreds of thousand pounds for a canalside property they don't want to be overlooking a mobile traveller site.

Like any group, if we don't self regulate - we will have regulation forced upon us.

Perhaps there should be a way to report problem boaters to CART?

I realise this isn't a nice thing to have to consider but at least the problem could (should) be dealt with in a calm and professional manner.

Towpath confrontations between boaters are not a good idea.

That seems a very sensibly idea. I wouldn't necessarily want to ask someone to turn their engine off in case of unreasonable aggression in response - but if it is being a persistent nuisance to houses nearby then an official to report to would be a good thing.

Or as one bloke said to me when I did this "Do you want your teeth rearranging".

....another Mayall silly bylaw - it's OK if you put a warning sign up.

03062000001_zpse6c009b0.jpg

Haha I have a photo of this boat too, taken for the same reason!

Interestingly, the sign works. We encountered this baot as we we about to stop for the night. We saw and photographed the sign, then decided to keep on going and moor half a mile further on rather next to them and get into an argument about the generator...

I know some on here would say we should have picked the argument, but it was late, and life is too short.

MtB

I've seen quite a few floating junk yards where the boat roof is piled high full of crap - I expect if someone's paid hundreds of thousand pounds for a canalside property they don't want to be overlooking a mobile traveller site.

By the same logic, if someone's shelled out for a shiny boat and moors it next to someone's dilapidated semi detatched house, do they have a right to complain?

I'd hate to get to a point where the canals were for shiny boats and no one else ...

• Greenie 1

Haha I have a photo of this boat too, taken for the same reason!

Interestingly, the sign works. We encountered this baot as we we about to stop for the night. We saw and photographed the sign, then decided to keep on going and moor half a mile further on rather next to them and get into an argument about the generator...

I know some on here would say we should have picked the argument, but it was late, and life is too short.

MtB

The question I ask is, would you buy some canal tat from a person displaying such an aggressive sign? I wouldn't but then again I wouldn't be buying the tat anyway.

You may not run your engine (or a genrator), whilst moored, from 8pm to 8am, unless you are in a remote place out of earshot of others. You are allowed to start your engine before 8am in order to depart a mooring, and if mooring up after ours to keep your engine running until your lines are secure.

Oh, have they rewritten the rules since the last time I read them.

No, silly me, it's a Mayall rule.

We could just quote what is actually in your Licence Terms and Conditions......

4. Whilst the Boat is on the Waterway, you must not:.......

(B) use any electricity generator, including the Boat's engine, at any mooring along the Waterway

between 8pm and 8am, unless you are moored in isolation, out of earshot of other people. [We do

not intend this Rule to stop you moving the Boat from the mooring.]

Chris, are you planning to apologise to David on this occasion? It would be the honourable thing to do.

The question I ask is, would you buy some canal tat from a person displaying such an aggressive sign? I wouldn't but then again I wouldn't be buying the tat anyway.

This boat is often moored at the Hillmorton bottom pound. Quite a few gongozzlers walk this area and I do not think many have the perception to see it as tat, they think it as canal art. What Tony Lewery refers to as "The souvenir disease".

Incidentally we bought a sugar jar decorated with what might loosely be termed "roses", from them last year to remind us what real tat is. I think it look the lady about 10 minutes to paint it.

Edited by Ray T

Chris, are you planning to apologise to David on this occasion? It would be the honourable thing to do.

....another Mayall silly bylaw - it's OK if you put a warning sign up

I will apologise for this flippant remark -

I wasn't aware that the T&C actually stated that, I thought that it was because it didn't matter if no-one could hear you out in the sticka. However, I don't pore over T&C and R&R for a hobby.

This boat is often based at the Hillmorton bottom pound. Quite a few gongozzlers walk this area and I do not think many have the perception to see it as tat, they think it as canal art. What Tony Lewery refers to as "The souvenir disease".

Incidentally we bought a sugar jar decorated with what might loosely be termed "roses", from them last year to remind us what real tat is. I think it look the lady about 10 minutes to paint it.

You can see the boat all over the area Hillmorton, Braunstson onto the GU I think once near the Napton flight. The lady is a bit odd (or characterful depending on your view point)and the boat very differently decorated. I can't say anything about her canal art as I have never seen any but I would miss seeing the boat on the cut.

By the same logic, if someone's shelled out for a shiny boat and moors it next to someone's dilapidated semi detatched house, do they have a right to complain?

I'd hate to get to a point where the canals were for shiny boats and no one else ...

I'm not suggesting the canals be for shiny boats - there's a big difference between running an old boat in need of some TLC and piling your roof several feet high with crap. If you lived in a house and kept piles of crap on your front lawn your neighbours would surely complain.

This boat is often moored at the Hillmorton bottom pound. Quite a few gongozzlers walk this area and I do not think many have the perception to see it as tat, they think it as canal art.

The lady had a very slow, progressive journey this summer, she was on the GU above Calcutt in May,moved slowly to as far as Stretton Wharf by Aug/Sept, and then turned and headed (very slowly)back towards the South Oxford.

Ones of those boats that sticks in the mind,,,,,for some reason.