Anyone any experience of these cheap stoves?

Grifter

Featured Posts

I've been looking for a new stove and have come across a 4kW stove available at very reasonable prices. Branded as Vortigern V013 or Sunrain JA013s or "Petit Furzebrook" or "Riddler" or "Rutland" or sometimes not branded at all. All are CE marked though and have a efficiency of 75-80% stamped on.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of them. They are available for as little as £150 if you shop around.

I've been looking for a new stove and have come across a 4kW stove available at very reasonable prices. Branded as Vortigern V013 or Sunrain JA013s or "Petit Furzebrook" or "Riddler" or "Rutland" or sometimes not branded at all. All are CE marked though and have a efficiency of 75-80% stamped on.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of them. They are available for as little as £150 if you shop around.

Hi Grifter.

When I needed a stove, I was tempted to go for the more expensive UK ones, but a Sunrain became available on the forum for sale...a 7kw one...and as I have a widebeam, I needed something bigger. I was worried about their reliability, but some forum members told me they had been using theirs for a few years with no problems...so I bought it. I've been extremely happy with it...it's been easy to control, and I've now had it burning coal non stop for the past 2-3months .

Even as a widebeam you won't even need a 7kw, 5kw will do.

On my widebeam i have a 20kw stove. It is fantastic and as I have said before it is only 20kw when fully loaded and opened up on full chat and is controlable. If a large stove you like comes up at the right price dont be put off, you will never be cold and do not have to use its capacity. :cheers:

Tim

Excellent. Sounding good so far!

Picture of the stove...

VORTIGERN-4kw-cast-iron-woodburning-multifuel-stove-genuine-ce-certificate-issued-in-the-uk_2659_500.jpg

I fitted one last year in my 70 footer. Exactly the same except the top damper is another wheel like the bottom one. I fitted vermiculite fire brick all round and it still gives plenty of heat for my combined lounge/kitchen area.

Got it brand new on e bay for £175. Well suited for the money.

George ex nb Alton retired

Any links to source of suppliers.

Hi Grifter.

When I needed a stove, I was tempted to go for the more expensive UK ones, but a Sunrain became available on the forum for sale...a 7kw one...and as I have a widebeam, I needed something bigger. I was worried about their reliability, but some forum members told me they had been using theirs for a few years with no problems...so I bought it. I've been extremely happy with it...it's been easy to control, and I've now had it burning coal non stop for the past 2-3months .

Glad yer happy with it Dean.I wouldn't want yer kids being cold. :cheers:

Glad yer happy with it Dean.I wouldn't want yer kids being cold. :cheers:

Dont worry about the kids...it's me I bought it for....I dont DO cold....lol.

and their cabins are warm enough...amazing the heat that comes out the back of desktop PCs.

I'm sure these cheap stoves are just as good as a more expensive, well known brand. However, what's spares availability going to be like 3 or 4 years down the line, when something on the stove breaks and you need a part in a hurry?

Good point, suppose there's no way of telling. Replacement grates and glass are available from various outlets at the moment though. And I could replace the whole stove two or three times before I get to the price of some branded stoves.

Think I'll keep trying to win auctions at low prices.

Haha Stuart, good photo. Perhaps I should have got one with a generator on top. Good use of space!

The JA013 looks quite small in the photo. Hope it's big enough. Anyway, I won an ebay auction for £142 + delivery tonight, so I won't have to wait too long to find out.

Do any of you know what this stove might be? It doesn't seem to have any lettering on it. There isn't choice, it was free and that makes it the right stove.

2v28mxz.jpg

abld0y.jpg

It seems to be fairly unused and the rust is mainly surface stuff. Just mucky from a shed that's all. Very happy with this.

Edited by boatymum

Even as a widebeam you won't even need a 7kw, 5kw will do.

It depends on the boat, on the stove, where the stove is located, etc. I have a 8kw stove on my widebeam and I wouldn't wan't a smaller stove in sub-zero temperatures. If nothing else the size lets me get some decent size logs in there.

Do any of you know what this stove might be? It doesn't seem to have any lettering on it. There isn't choice, it was free and that makes it the right stove.

2v28mxz.jpg

abld0y.jpg

It seems to be fairly unused and the rust is mainly surface stuff. Just mucky from a shed that's all. Very happy with this.

You got yourself a good deal there boatymum, for that price even I could have afforded to acquire your nice stove.

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

• 4 months later...

To wrap up this topic from a while ago, I bought and received the 4kW Vortigern V013S / Sunrain JA013S stove a few months ago and have been very pleased with it. It arrived well package and I fitted it myself. It is quite a bit smaller than my last stove for a similar heat output. It looks the part, although you can tell some parts are not as good quality as the more expensive stoves: the bottom vent screw mechanism, for example. The lining is cast iron, rather than vermiculite.

It's easy to light and if you're using coal, you can turn it down low enough to get it to burn all night easily. On the negative side, the riddling mechanism doesn't do too well at clearing ash (better to use a poker) and when burning wood, the top vent alone doesn't seem to let in enough air. Also, in hindsight, I wish I'd gone for the 5kW version as my boat is not well insulated and does get cold in winter.

In my opinion, a great value-for-money stove. I don't see how the Squirrel stoves etc can be 3 times better. Hope this helps anyone who's thinking of getting one.

Joe

It has the three things that I consider essential.

One - it has one main door to the combustion chamber, not two, with a good size window, so you get a good view of the fire.

Two - it has a separate door for removing ash.

Three - you can riddle it without opening either door.

TBH, lots of stoves don't riddle very well. A poker is an essential accessory.

And, of course, it's cheap!

To wrap up this topic from a while ago, I bought and received the 4kW Vortigern V013S / Sunrain JA013S stove a few months ago and have been very pleased with it. It arrived well package and I fitted it myself. It is quite a bit smaller than my last stove for a similar heat output. It looks the part, although you can tell some parts are not as good quality as the more expensive stoves: the bottom vent screw mechanism, for example. The lining is cast iron, rather than vermiculite.

It's easy to light and if you're using coal, you can turn it down low enough to get it to burn all night easily. On the negative side, the riddling mechanism doesn't do too well at clearing ash (better to use a poker) and when burning wood, the top vent alone doesn't seem to let in enough air. Also, in hindsight, I wish I'd gone for the 5kW version as my boat is not well insulated and does get cold in winter.

If there's no firebrick lining then it's not suitable for burning coal or similar fuel.

Even with firebrick retro fitted that still not might guarantee suitability, though it'd be a big step in the right direction.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete