Official - BWAHMs are not normal

PiRSqwared

Featured Posts

"Normal" boaters (well three or four of them) flood the postbag with their outrage.

http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/news-flash/5243-continuous-moorers-must-be-sorted

And watch out all you liveaboards on leisure moorings - you're nexy on the list for a pitchfork armed visit from the normal boaters.

It`s part of the British personality that we would rather turn our wrath on each other for `getting away with it` than by sticking together to resist ever higher boating expenses, boating costs are outrageous and if anybody thinks they would come down if we all meekly paid up and followed the letter of the law they are frankly naive, its partly this attitude that made me buy a house and move off the canals 20 years ago, no one cares if I live in it, I don`t have to have it inspected every 3 years or whatever it is, but most importantly I don`t have to suffer the `Do as you`re told` attitude from the authorities backed up by neighbours who can afford to pay ever higher demands. I now do my boating in Europe. (digging a hole to hide in) Happy new year.

• Greenie 1

Twaddle written by morons. If you're a new boater and stumble across the site linked above, my advice would be to close it and never return.

It's not the voice of the waterways its an ill written and negative opinion from a few elitist boaters.

Grrrrrr!

Twaddle written by morons. If you're a new boater and stumble across the site linked above, my advice would be to close it and never return.

It's not the voice of the waterways its an ill written and negative opinion from a few elitist boaters.

Grrrrrr!

Recently I was taken to task by a number of people on this forum for daring to suggest that someone was/is obnoxious, and part of the thread was removed. I would have thought that the above comments were far more objectionable than anything I had written.

If you don't like the site don't read it. It has become de rigueur on CWDF to run it down as not worth bothering with. But it does rather beg the question "How do you know".

Should you ever be in the area of the Staffs and Worcs between Autherley Junction and Aldersley Junction pop into Oxley Marine and inform the boss that he is a moron who writes twaddle.

:cheers:

Edited by Rich

Recently I was taken to task by a number of people on this forum for daring to suggest that someone was/is obnoxious, and part of the thread was removed. I would have thought that the above comments were far more objectionable than anything I had written.

If you don't like the site don't read it. It has become de rigueur on CWDF to run it down as not worth bothering with. But it does rather beg the question "How do you know".

Should you ever be in the area of the Staffs and Worcs between Autherley Junction and Aldersley Junction pop into Oxley Marine and inform the boss that he is a moron who writes twaddle.

Fair play and I apologise for making it personalised, I don't represent CWDF but am a member so hardly fair to blame this site.

I will amend my post accordingly.

Moronic twaddle probably written by nice people. If you're a new boater and stumble across the site linked above, my advice would be to close it and never return.

It's not the voice of the waterways its an ill written and negative opinion from a few boaters.

Grrrrrr!

There's ample evidence of narrow minded twaddle on NBW

Do please explain why happening to own and operate a marine business is a any reason why you are not also capable of spouting twaddle on occasions.

As one who has been critical of some articles in NBW in the past, IMHO with just reason, I actually like Orph Mabel's column.

It is factual, informative and well written. Others have said words to the effect "if you don't like it, don't visit. I visit because of the above column.

To me a parallel woud be watching a soap. You know it is "twaddle" but you keep watching it.

Edited by Ray T

Do please explain why happening to own and operate a marine business is a any reason why you are not also capable of spouting twaddle on occasions.

I'm not really sure of the point you are making. Are you saying the gentleman in question does write twaddle?

In my opinion he doesn't, just as some on here don't write twaddle.

I'm not really sure of the point you are making. Are you saying the gentleman in question does write twaddle?

In my opinion he doesn't, just as some on here don't write twaddle.

Actually Orph Mable was happy to endorse personal attacks made on me on that site by one of the other contributors, even though he doesn't know me from Adam - but I can live with that - the whole "get Fincher" thing was just so funny I couldn't take them seriously.

Where he did definitely write twaddle was when he tried to defend the journalistic integrity of the whole site, and particularly took the line that the editor is always amenable to correction of any stuff published that can be demonstrated to be erroneous.

Anybody who has ever tried to get Tom Crossley to correct a story where the correction would actually then make the sensationalist line being taken by a posting look decidedly suspect will know that you often have more chance of getting pigs to fly.

I have actually just tried to find some specific discussion that went on on that site about its journalistic integrity, as the one I'm thinking of just about said it all - unfortunately I have failed to do so - their search facilities seem not to be that great, unless there are tricks to using them that I don't know.

Scum, all of them. Why should I pay thousands to keep my £80.000 holiday home safe whilst it is abandoned for months on end, whilst these free loaders who keep the canal from turning into an overgrown and silted up dump... I mean, they should not be allowed to live on the canal, unlike me, who pays thousands to leave my boat in a proper marina .. well, they get everything for free don't they, electricity, water, security. uhm... and what do they do with their rubbish? Judging by the overflowing rubbish skip in town, they seem to fit a new kitchen or bathroom every other week. And why do they dump all their rubbish in the BW bin in town, there is a perfectly good BW bin out in the sticks, which is hardly filled up. And when did living in a boat become acceptable, other than for a select few rich eccentrics? Boating is a hobby, separating the well off from the mundane have nots. I remember when having a boat got one respect from the neighbours.

Quote[James adds that Victor is to be congratulated on coming-up with the name continuous moorers, as there could not be better!]Unquote.

Priceless!

Happily. Any reason I shouldn't? Are marina bosses exempt from criticism? Otherwise I'd be interested to know what point you're trying to make.

Actually, the vituperative slanging of NBW on here doesn't show CWDF in a very good light, does it? Any newcomer looking at the two sites would conclude that one is as bad as the other if this thread is anything to go by.

Yes, there is a lot of dubious and second-hand reporting and some questionable opinions, mostly originating directly or indirectly from the owner of the site, but I've not read such vicious language about CWDF as appears on here about NBW.

As for Orph Mable, well I've met the guy, and he is an extremely amiable and helpful person, who wites the best column on the site. He is not a moron; calling him one says more about the person using the term.

Actually, the vituperative slanging of NBW on here doesn't show CWDF in a very good light, does it? Any newcomer looking at the two sites would conclude that one is as bad as the other if this thread is anything to go by.

Try getting your voice heard on NBW if you disagree with them. Try correcting any glaring inaccuracies in their reporting. You won't be allowed.

Speak freely here, slag off CWDF to your heart's content, you're allowed.

That speaks volumes to me.

Yes, there is a lot of dubious and second-hand reporting and some questionable opinions, mostly originating directly or indirectly from the owner of the site, but I've not read such vicious language about CWDF as appears on here about NBW.

As for Orph Mable, well I've met the guy, and he is an extremely amiable and helpful person, who wites the best column on the site. He is not a moron; calling him one says more about the person using the term.

For which I apologised for directing my dislike personally.

The difference is though that CWDF is clearly a forum and doesn't claim that every post is fact. NBW makes claim to being the voice of the waterways yet doesn't represent me. Surly if that is the stance they wish to take then some robust criticism or complete disagreement should be expected.

Personally I think the stance of NBW is elitist and devicive and will do nothing to ensure a unified approach to the challenges we face as boaters. This obviously not how everyone thinks and not necessarily the opinion of the CWDF owner.

Try getting your voice heard on NBW if you disagree with them. Try correcting any glaring inaccuracies in their reporting. You won't be allowed.

Speak freely here, slag off CWDF to your heart's content, you're allowed.

That speaks volumes to me.

Edited by Wanted