Boat broken into at Thrupp

Waynerrr

Featured Posts

I have no knowledge of the man or his circumstances, but I am surprised that some people are so sympathetic of man who is known to break into peoples boats (multiple times) and steals their stuff!

I am sure there must be thousands of ex-squaddies out there who don't resort to such theiving!

I have no knowledge of the man or his circumstances, but I am surprised that some people are so sympathetic of man who is known to break into peoples boats (multiple times) and steals their stuff!

I am sure there must be thousands of ex-squaddies out there who don't resort to such theiving!

Completely agree.

It's no different to someone breaking into your house.

Three strikes...

True.

I regard them as the lucky ones.

One thing I am absolutely sure of is that if Finch breaks into my boat, nicks some stuff and leaves then I will still be a lot better off than him because I too am one of the lucky ones.

Way too deep Carl.

The guy breaks into private property and steals..

as Martin (with the cute dog would say) nuff said.

True.

I regard them as the lucky ones.

One thing I am absolutely sure of is that if Finch breaks into my boat, nicks some stuff and leaves then I will still be a lot better off than him because I too am one of the lucky ones.

I think I am one of the UNlucky ones whose boat was broken in some years ago. I didn't see it as a useful security exercise or a compassionate gesture on my part leaving food or drink out to be stolen. This guy Is a habitual petty thief who has targeted canal boats for many years now. It's breaking and entry and theft and should be treated as such.

Way too deep Carl.

No, just not shallow.

I wish he'd been staying on my boat 5 years ago because it wouldn't have been torched by low-lifes who were looking to destroy something for mere entertainment rather than just looking for a bit of food and warmth.

In general I would have nothing but contempt for anyone who broke into my boat and damaged or stole anything, but this is different. He actually shows respect for the boat and its owners, by doing minimal damage (our repairs cost £4.50), by taking only food and drink for his own immediate needs, and by leaving everything clean and tidy when he leaves. A typical break-in would be different in so many ways.

Four boat broken in to now. 1 done twice, nothing missing, no food or alcohol on board, 1 done once, not sure of outcome, one had bank notes, not change, stolen, a watch, a nintendo thing and cheese and probably other food. No mess on any.

I really find that incredible. Do you really believe that, or do you feel duty bound to spout such clap trap?

Minimal damage? Please elaborate, what scale of permisable, or acceptable damage are we using here? Is there a financial limit that defines the line between scamp and scum?

He steals food, alcohol and cigarettes. So that is ok then? Is it ok if some teenagers carefully open the door, and only drink your alcohol? What if that food is all you have?

You come home, in the dark, your hatch is broken open, and you have no food left. You call that a valuable test of security?? I tell you what a valuable test of security is. An intruder leaving on his/her own accord, without tripping over the edge of the stern. And banging their head on the tiller on the way out.

"Duty Bound"?

What duty do you imagine I might have to say what I have said?

For clarity, no I do not think his behaviour acceptable.

However behaviour is not simply acceptable or unacceptable. There is a range from exemplary behaviour through good, acceptable, dubious/borderline, somewhat wrong, unacceptable, very bad and utterly unaceptable.

Some wrongs are worse than others, and whilst Finch is a bloody nuisance, his crimes are less damaging than many others.

• Greenie 2

so that makes it ok to break into peoples property and steal things?

Of course not but there are instances where society has let someone down so badly that they are forced to commit petty crime in order to survive.

Finchs' background and the respect he shows whilst carrying out his crimes suggests that this is one of those instances and, when he allows himself to be caught, Society continues to let him down by letting him hold his hands up for every petty crime within a stone's throw of the cut then simply incarcerating him and letting him go again to carry on his criminal life rather than offering rehabilitation.

Same as the serial thief that breaks into house after house would get!

Land based homeless petty thieves get exactly the same treatment, ie short sentences then thrown back on the streets to re-offend with no help to change their ways.

That's what makes them serial thieves.

• Greenie 2

I think that is a bit extreme don't you?

I think a serial thief deserves a punishment that actually fits the crime! Same as the serial thief that breaks into house after house would get!

I was once broken into by somebody who, apart from stealing food and a small amount of money, showed respect for my property.

On the other hand I was broken into by somebody else who thought it was a gas to trash things that he had no intention of stealing.

In your book they deserve equal punishment!

Of course not but there are instances where society has let someone down so badly that they are forced to commit petty crime in order to survive.

Finchs' background and the respect he shows whilst carrying out his crimes suggests that this is one of those instances and, when he allows himself to be caught, Society continues to let him down by letting him hold his hands up for every petty crime within a stone's throw of the cut then simply incarcerating him and letting him go again to carry on his criminal life rather than offering rehabilitation.

Land based homeless petty thieves get exactly the same treatment, ie short sentences then thrown back on the streets to re-offend with no help to change their ways.

I know you are not too keen on the greenie thing. however I have put one on yer for this post.

Knowing what I do know of Mr Finch, I know that he has been let down by society. I believe he has been offered accommodation in 'homes' of one shape or another and he didn't settle. Not sure what form of rehab he may benefit from, not my trade I'm afraid.

I just wish he would leave my boat alone in the future. So far he has cost me a new cratch cover, five new slide locks, side hatch re straightening problems, still not right, and a new window.

He's a pain in the posterior. Maybe he would like to live in Australia!!!

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

Perhaps if we were able to lock him away for a longer period he could benefit from free food and accomodation and those on the Oxford could have a break from his seriel thieving.

Perhaps if we were able to lock him away for a longer period he could benefit from free food and accomodation and those on the Oxford could have a break from his seriel thieving.

I doubt that would deter the perpetrators of the many crimes he has "asked to be taken into consideration" that he didn't commit and a homeless pensioner is never going to be punished severely for petty crime so a longer sentence is unlikely.

Looks like we are on completely different wave-lengths! I will never have any sympathy for a habitual criminal.

Good luck!

So where exactly does your sympathy start? Habitual drug-takers? Habitual alcoholics?

How about "There but for the Grace of God, etc".... ?

BTW, I've never heard of a land-based burglar doing the washing up, has anyone?

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Looks like we are on completely different wave-lengths! I will never have any sympathy for a habitual criminal.

You're probably right.

I have no sympathy for the criminal but I can certainly empathise with the person and the circumstances that led him to his situation.

I also would have rather had him squat my boat than it be left empty and vulnerable to the real criminals who destroyed it for nothing more than pure, nasty entertainment.

Ironically my first thought, when my friend rang me to tell me my boat was alight, was that Finch or one of the other canal vagrants (Finch has become a generic term) had sought shelter and accidentally set light to the boat and it was a huge relief when I was told that two youths were seen running away from the scene and nobody was hurt.

You best get yourself a dog if you want to keep your stuff safe!

Good luck!

I can have sympathy for somebody notwithstanding that he has done wrong.

My sympathy relates to his experiences that have distanced him from society. That sympathy doesn't prevent me thinking that his behaviour is wrong and saying so.