More Flood alerts Dec 19

Rob@BSSOffice

Featured Posts

We are at Weston, lock 4. Where are you? going to look for a marina myself shortly.

Thanks for popping out in the rain to introduce yourself and then later backing up to let us know what you are doing.Was good to meet you, if briefly so far. Our 2 boats seemed to be the only 2 on the move today.

We walked up to Derwent mouth lock with the intention of going over the horse bridge to see how high the Trent is. However, we couldn't go any further than the lock as the river is covering the towpath. Mr Trackman took pictures which he will post if he can work out how to do that.

Great link Nigel - the Thames at Henley is now at the limits I see.

No Anglian rivers though

So for my fellow Anglian boaters, try this Live Flood Map

It's not looking good for the Cam, Gt. Ouse, Nene, Welland or Witham

Just managed to hit 13kph on the Cam, there's a bit of a flow on...

... on the Cam, there's a bit of a flow on

...possibly through the corridors of the various riverside colleges. (EA Flood warning)

Grantchester, Newnham Croft and the Colleges

17:00 on 20 Dec 2012

Location: Grantchester including Mill Way, Newnham Croft and the Colleges in Cambridge

No punting tomorrow.

ChartImage.jpg?Id=348&ChartType=Graph

Pillings Sluice Gate

The Soar is mightily full, Pillings Lock Marina (you knowm, the flood free one)has emailed residents saying it may flood tonight.This also means that the whole canal section through Loughborough will be "riverised" again.

The EA has had it's last throw of the dice here by opening the sluice gate fully at around 4pm. However, the level below Barrow Deep has only dropped 3".

It also means that Zouch/Hathern and Kegworth are going to get inundated.

It's at times like this I am glad that we moor in a marina with flood gates and floating pontoons so we don't need to worry about the boat whilst we are not there. I would be a dithering mess if cal was on the river right now.

Hope you guys out and about are all keeping safe!

Pillings Sluice Gate

The Soar is mightily full, Pillings Lock Marina (you knowm, the flood free one)has emailed residents saying it may flood tonight.This also means that the whole canal section through Loughborough will be "riverised" again.

The EA has had it's last throw of the dice here by opening the sluice gate fully at around 4pm. However, the level below Barrow Deep has only dropped 3".

Are you resident in a lock once more?

I'm beginning to wonder if I should change my plans for christmas and not go away so I can be around if the boats (including mine)get into trouble at Bardney lock

As we look like being locked in for the duration we will be driving around the area during next week. We can pop down to bardney and check the boats ok if you do go away.

As we look like being locked in for the duration we will be driving around the area during next week. We can pop down to bardney and check the boats ok if you do go away.

Is there no one living on one to keep an eye on them ?

Yes there are several liveaboards on the same pontoon. But it seems a bit presumptuous to bugger off on my jollies and leave my boat for someone else to take care of

Yes there are several liveaboards on the same pontoon. But it seems a bit presumptuous to bugger off on my jollies and leave my boat for someone else to take care of

I'm sure they wouldn't see it like that.

Anyway I'm sure your boat will be fine. It is on a floating pontoon which is one saving grace plus the poles are higher than the adjacent flood bank so it will flood the island before you float off!

I'm sure they wouldn't see it like that.

Anyway I'm sure your boat will be fine. It is on a floating pontoon which is one saving grace plus the poles are higher than the adjacent flood bank so it will flood the island before you float off!

I haven't been to the boat since the last flood 3 weeks ago. I'll go tomorrow and take my inflatable for the use of the pontoon residents

Pillings Sluice Gate

The Sence is also approaching record levels again, Rothley Brook is high so plenty more to come in from upstream of Pillings. Looks like whilst the Sluices temporarily dropped the levels it is rising again.

Still raining on & off , a lull for tomorrow then heavy rain forecast for Sat & Mon.

Christmas shopping will have to take a backseat tommorow if rain continues - Boat will be ok if levels don't exceed the last flood as we have enough rope slack to accommodate it. Any more & the waders will have to come out , it must be already over wellie height on our moorings. We will be away in Scotland from Boxing Day so have to ensure boat is a safe as can be as whilst Dad will keep a good check its not fair for him to be wading out to loosen ropes.

Matty - Are you above Barrow Deep then ? Presume levels are higher as the sluices by Franks are still damaged ? Has anyone cracked top & bottom paddles yet on the lock (Normal proceedure at Sorrell)

Keep safe all

Paddles were cracked first thing this morning. mountsorrel and sileby lock the same.

the level dropped below the deep lock to towpath level earlier from above the bollards,however,it is already half way up the bollards again. I do think we are going to see big problems on the soar and trent over the. next week.

I do think we are going to see big problems on the soar and trent over the. next week.

There's a tug boat 'Sunk' in the middle of the Soar outside Redhill Marina...so yes if anyone HITS that there will be big problems...... Edited by DHutch
lanauge

Paddles were cracked first thing this morning. mountsorrel and sileby lock the same.

the level dropped below the deep lock to towpath level earlier from above the bollards,however,it is already half way up the bollards again. I do think we are going to see big problems on the soar and trent over the. next week.

Blimey it's all worrying stuff! This time last year we were happily bimbling between Beeston and Loughborough at will - I must admit I'm glad we chose last year to visit that area and not this year!

Stay safe my friends!

We have a dry day forecast for today but another inch of rain tomorrow. This flooding is likely to be worse than last months.

Even the benign Fossditch is in flood and already approaching last months record levels!

Edited by Naughty Cal