Potential Drama Unfolding

Up-Side-Down

Featured Posts

Using the street sign as a reference point I have overlapped part of that area in dryer times over the now flooded area.

And the boat is well clear of the bank and bollards, but the stern rope must be tigtening up, if it hasn't been adjusted since they left the boat yesterday..

ouse.png

That's very interesting - there was me thinking that event was still to come - so Matty40s's observation in an earlier post was/is spot on. Still living ....... still learning!

No, in fact its higher now as the EA recorder testifies. If you look across at the balcony of the National Cirriculum Building (about which I know a funny flood story) - immediately to the right of Woods Mill - you'll see that there's no discernible difference in levels. However, what's been bothering me is that in September the river level came within 3" of the top of the No Entry sign - I remember being very impressed that the light above it kept working throughout, casting a warming glow on the swirling flood waters. I have just deduced that since then the stem of the sign must have been lengthened, to prevent future damage to the electrics, in just the event we are now witnessing. A rather rare bit of pro-activity methinks!

If you look in the picture from the earlier flood this year, it's level with the Woodsmill windows, whic it isn't now, but if the water was to rise a foot or so it would be, wich would put the level about the same on the road sign.

There is certainly something in this image is this what you saw?

(I reckon it's somebody who has come to York City centre to do their xmas shopping.... probably easier to get around by kayaak at the mo.)

ouse2.jpg

No. It was much close and going downstream. Only there for one image.

N

Post 197 picture and the picture Theo showed are at different levels. The water is nearer the windows in the woods Mill building.... are you sure they sign has been lengthened?

That's merely my deduction based on what I saw in September and what I'm seeing now. I would seriously be doubting my sanity if it wasn't for the evidence of the EA Viking Recorder (showing this is the 2nd highest ever recorded York flood event) which is a couple of hundred yards, on the right, above the bridge we're looking at.

I seen it, and there was a couple of kayaks.

I saw wheelie bin go down earlier, obviously making its way to be emptied :-) What is the white thing over on the far side? You can see it in some of the photos on this thread and if you watch the live web cam, the water seems to be riding up over something.

I am amazed that the boats ropes are not pulling both boats over. Perhaps they are very strong elastic? can you get such a thing as elastic rope?

Haggis

It's hard to tell - I initially thought was the kayak Theo saw - it's pretty much holding it's position against a very strong flow whatever it is...and now it's gone...

This thread has certainly captivated a few -

44 User(s) are reading this topic

26 members, 15 guests, 3 anonymous users

John Holden,Catrin,8 Hairy Feet,KevMc,Rich,NoFixedAbode,Timleech,Jo_,Lucysplace,Paul C,Unmani,Gazboatman,Up-Side-Down,Midnight,jelunga,Bones,leeco,Ace 01,khaffra,nigel carton,matty40s,Theo,Tinker Fox,Dekazer,canals are us?,chazzy

Edited by The Dog House

It's hard to tell - I initially thought was the kayak Theo saw - it's pretty much holding it's position against a very strong flow whatever it is...and now it's gone...

John Holden,Catrin,8 Hairy Feet,KevMc,Rich,NoFixedAbode,Timleech,Jo_,Lucysplace,Paul C,Unmani,Gazboatman,Up-Side-Down,Midnight,jelunga,Bones,leeco,Ace 01,khaffra,nigel carton,matty40s,Theo,Tinker Fox,Dekazer,canals are us?,chazzy

Seems to have gone now..

I hope that it is not a grp boat which sunk further up and was stuck on something underwater for a while across from the boats. It seems to have gone now.

haggis

That's merely my deduction based on what I saw in September and what I'm seeing now. I would seriously be doubting my sanity if it wasn't for the evidence of the EA Viking Recorder (showing this is the 2nd highest ever recorded York flood event) which is a couple of hundred yards, on the right, above the bridge we're looking at.

I don't think the EA web site has had its "highest recent" level updated to include September 2012. The level then was higher than the 2008 level shown.

It's genuinely gripping stuff. Beats Big Brother any day! I never knew watching a webcam could be so exciting. What will happen next? Will a beaver arrive and start gnawing through the ropes? Will the owners return to their boats riding on dolphins?

I think there will be a collective cheer on this forum if it all ends well. How can we let the boat owners know that they've become minor celebrities?

I don't think the EA web site has had its "highest recent" level updated to include September 2012. The level then was higher than the 2008 level shown.

Now that is something I hadn't thought of as a sensible answer to this conundrum. Probably the most likely too!

Post 197 picture and the picture Theo showed are at different levels. The water is nearer the windows in the woods Mill building.... are you sure they sign has been lengthened?

I think the 'pole lengthening' theory may hold water (groan :rolleyes: )

If you look at the picture I posted earlier, even allowing for foreshortening) there is a direction sign very nearby of what looks like the same height that is visible during previous floods there - so that means that sign is either no longer there (possible) Shortened (unlikely) or the no entry sign has indeed been raised.

_63128299_63128298.jpg

or possibly just out of shot on the web cam maybe?? :unsure:

Ouse3.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

It's genuinely gripping stuff. Beats Big Brother any day! I never knew watching a webcam could be so exciting. What will happen next? Will a beaver arrive and start gnawing through the ropes? Will the owners return to their boats riding on dolphins?

I think there will be a collective cheer on this forum if it all ends well. How can we let the boat owners know that they've become minor celebrities?

For all the right - or the wrong - reasons??

If you look at the picture I posted earlier, even allowing for foreshortening) there is a direction sign very nearby of what looks like the same height that is visible during previous floods there - so that means that sign is either no longer there (possible) Shortened (unlikely) or the no entry sign has indeed been raised.

Oh yes!!!

I am getting to know this area far too well!

edit - I wonder whether the council could shed some light on their sign heightening scheme over the last few years.....:wacko:

Edited by Bones

_63128299_63128298.jpg

Ouse3.jpg

Nah, far too much faffing about just for a sign...

Maybe they've had the whole street lowered?

_63128299_63128298.jpg

Ouse3.jpg

Sadly ('cause I'd look less foolish) I think it's just out of shot. But thanks for a 'nice try' all the same!

Nah, far too much faffing about just for a sign...

Maybe they've had the whole street lowered?

Nah - frost heave around the base of the sign!

edit - I wonder whether the council could shed some light on their sign heightening scheme over the last few years.....:wacko:

I can.

After the Easter floods of 1997 I had quite a few illuminated signs put on longer poles after the originals were water damaged.

Ordinary signs can be immersed with no damage at all whereas the illuminated ones have quite a bit of electrickery that doesn't respond so well to a dunking.