Potential Drama Unfolding

Up-Side-Down

Featured Posts

Perhaps you get to keep the greenies, but you just lose everyone's respect?

I never bother with the greenie thing - I still don't really understand what that's all about.

As a newbie I haven't got a handle on it at all!

However, I originally posted in the hope of learning something about what to do should I ever find myself in a similar predicament as the boats at York. Of course I have because, amongst other things, it is what this forum does so brilliantly: that is teach you things. Vitriolic exchanges IMO live at exactly the opposite end of the spectrum of learning so to speak. (STS?)

Sorry it was phrased as a question, but it just sounded like a rhetorical question to me - as though you were quite sure of yourself. Perhaps it was the "Secure stern - step aboard...." bit that I mistunderstood as indicating the simplicity of the whole operation.

Anyway, it's another example of how what we write can be taken in a number of unintended ways.

Yes agreed re-reading it, it does read as a bit 'cock sure' as in 'why don't they just do this??'

Also I now think the boat is actually nose upstream - looking at the web cam in the daylight what looked like a white strip on the bow looks more like a white tunnel band. :unsure:

Ok, this is CWDF not the Dog House World, although sometimes I do wonder....

Then you will be delighted to know there is a god and the weather is playing havoc with my home cable BB connection this morning...

however normal service will be resumed shortly..... :cheers:

Edited by The Dog House

Also I now think the boat is actually nose upstream - looking at the web cam in the daylight what looked like a white strip on the bow looks more like a white tunnel band. :unsure:

And would explain why I thought the boat was sitting down at the front - it isn't, it's in normal back down posture!

Also I now think the boat is actually nose upstream - looking at the web cam in the daylight what looked like a white strip on the bow looks more like a white tunnel band.

I agree with this as in daylight the tiller isvisible at tnebavk

Also if you look at the bow there is a very thick (about the same as the tiller) line going forward at 45deg could this be a stout warp looped through the steps or a ring adjustable from the boat?

It was simply based on experience turning GRP boats on the broads with the tide which of course. We often turn our own boat on the river using this method - if the flow is in the right direction of course and of course it is no way as strong as we are seeing here -

The effect of the current flow on a counter sterned narrowboat moored pointing downstream is a lot less than a transom sterned cruiser.

The underwater profile of the narrowboat at the stern is about as pointy as the front end as long as the water isn't piling up on the counter too much.

That boat looks nose heavy so I doubt if the counter is submerged.

I wouldn't bother risking turning the boat in those conditions.

The effect of the current flow on a counter sterned narrowboat moored pointing downstream is a lot less than a transom sterned cruiser.

The underwater profile of the narrowboat at the stern is about as pointy as the front end as long as the water isn't piling up on the counter too much.

That boat looks nose heavy so I doubt if the counter is submerged.

I wouldn't bother risking turning the boat in those conditions.

Spot on, transom stern boats are at risk when moored bows pointing downstream, counter stern narrow boats should be ok. Parents boat is coping ok on the nene moored the 'wrong' way round.

I was walking past there on Saturday morning. I seem to remember both boats being moored there at the time (but not breasted up). The at that time the river level was an inch or so from the top of the bank and I was a little concerned for the boats. There is a floating pontoon about 100 yards downstream from the boats. If I had seen any signs of life on these boats I would have suggested walking them down to the pontoon and mooring there for safety since the forecast was for levels to rise further. The pontoon is for the trip boats (which obviously weren't running) and I suspect that the boat owners were reluctant to moor there because they usually wouldn't be allowed. Of course, it's possible that the owners weren't with their boats on saturday.

Maybe I should have done more.

Edited by Dave_P

It does look like there is a third boat. Whoever was standing on the roof seems to be flitting around the gunwhales.

Reckon I can see a third boat too. A couple of days ago, before the water level topped the staith, you could just see the stern of another boat moored ahead of the nb.

There appears to be activity on the cruiser and the centre cockpit hatch is partially raised.

I was walking past there on Saturday morning. I seem to remember both boats being moored there at the time (but not breasted up). The at that time the river level was an inch or so from the top of the bank and I was a little concerned for the boats. There is a floating pontoon about 100 yards downstream from the boats. If I had seen any signs of life on these boats I would have suggested walking them down to the pontoon and mooring there for safety since the forecast was for levels to rise further. The pontoon is for the trip boats (which obviously weren't running) and I suspect that the boat owners were reluctant to moor there because they usually wouldn't be allowed. Of course, it's possible that the owners weren't with their boats on saturday.

Maybe I should have done more.

Been watching the developing dramas on rivers with trepidation for everyone.

You make an interesting point about pontoons. We were caught out on the Soar in June after leaving Beeston on the Trent on amber we turned onto the Soar and found ourselves the wrong side of the flood lock at Redhill and the light on red. Deciding turning and going back downstream was too risky, as confirmed a week later when a boat did just that and ended up on a weir; we decided to carry on upstream for the safety of the only pontoon we could think of at a boatyard. We thought we were fortunate when we saw the owner and asked to use his pontoon. He totally refused and so I asked what he suggested we do. His answer was that we shouldn't have been boating as the river was on red, I explained there was no way we could have known this until we reached the red light by which time it was too late. BW staff had actually said to other boaters the river was on amber but he still refused.

It does make me wonder whether the York boaters might have not been allowed on the pontoon though.