Mooring 'down south'

Circe

Featured Posts

I've got to admit that we love our current moorings - it's a fabulous community with lots of lovely people and I'd recommend it to anyone. BUT I've got twitchy feet. I think it's because we've spent the past 12 years not being able to get out and about and see friends (our son couldn't travel for more than 1 hour in the car until very recently). However, he loves the boat and we spent a full 6 weeks afloat in the summer - and the getting out and seeing people was amazing. I'm aching to do more of that.

A lot of our old friends live in the south, so I'm half-thinking of shifting down to the southern end of the Grand Union for a few years. Our son loves the boat, so I'm pretty sure he could tolerate the car if he knows that's where we're going. I've got the tug of the heart-strings wanting to stay where we are currently moored - but I know we'd always be welcome back in the future.

Anyway - IF we do decide to make a move, where would people recommend? I've looked at BMWL marinas - Apsley and Cowroast. Cowroast would work better because we'd be able to park close to the boat. Apsley less so as there are fewer parking spaces (although we need to investigate blue badge parking in the area) and I'm setting up an alert on auctions for online moorings.

Where's good to go for in terms of mooring locations and where should I avoid? Those marinas are at the upper end of our price range in terms of affordability if that helps!

Anyway - IF we do decide to make a move, where would people recommend? I've looked at BMWL marinas - Apsley and Cowroast. Cowroast would work better because we'd be able to park close to the boat. Apsley less so as there are fewer parking spaces (although we need to investigate blue badge parking in the area) and I'm setting up an alert on auctions for online moorings.

If you decide to come to Cowroast marina pop over and say hello on the long term moorings - there are three CWDF members there. (Actually I think there are more, but they are not admitting membership).

Parking in the area is a tricky. On line boaters have to compete with the increasing numbers of cc-ers and employees of the nearby BMW garage for parking spaces, but you'll be fine if you moor at the marina.

Despite lack of parking and water problems on the summit last spring, I wouldn't want to moor anywhere else. I think fellow moorers at Cowroast Lock must think the same because there's only been one vacancy here in the last twelve years!

Apsley is a great place to moor. Buses, trains and shops all convenient. Very pleasant and helpful bunch of liveaboards there as well. I think that as a resi moorer you would get a parking place, we did and we didn't have a car.

However, the mooring fees are a little eye watering but I suppose you have spotted that.

It depends on your needs, but personally if prepared to pay the high costs associated with these BWML marinas I would go for Cow Roast over Apsley every time.

Apsley I see as being a bit of a niche market, because of its close proximity to Apsley station, I think they can charge more than what many people would otherwise be prepared to pay for a non-secured mooring totally overlooked by three or four storey buildings.

I would only use it if I were needing to do a daily London commute.

Cow Roast is a much nicer setting, although frankly its former owners prior to BWML were happy to just keep collecting the cash, ang in terms of general presentation and facilities it was probably well behind some newer ones. The general absence of similar competition on a popular stretch allows whoever owns these to slightly take the Micky, IMO.

You could also look at Grove "marina" up just South of Leighton Buzzard, which is actually cut into the canal, rather than being a separate offline basin. However I think that manages to stay fairly full, and I'm not sure if vacancies come up.

Thanks so much for the advice all of you. We'd be looking at one of their Grade 2 moorings (eye-watering, but not completely insane costs for a 45ft boat) probably in the Autumn next year if we go for it. Boat's being repainted Sept/Oct in Stourbridge, so it makes most sense to move after that if we're going to as we'd be halfway there already!

Are water problems normally a problem at Cowroast? I'd read about the ones that happened in the Spring. Seems like a really nice spot with quite a lot of cruising options depending on how the mood strikes. The marina said no prob with parking there. Not being residential, it'd be a first come, first served for parking at Apsley - and that really would be a deal-breaker.

Think we're going to have a run down and a nosey at some point - will let you know when so if you see a mad woman waving at you, you'll know who it is! Not expecting to find online spaces at Cowroast lock now :lol: - what is higher up the summit like? Is it just as popular?

Googling Grove Marina too - thank you! :)

Edited by Circe

What about the South Oxford? There are a number of new and existing marinas and at least one is close to a railway station.

Not looked at that at all yet :blush: although that canal is definitely on our 'to do' cruising list.

Railway stations don't make a huge difference to us - transport really does have to be done by car for safety reasons.

My thinking had been mostly based around where our friends live - scattered between Aylesbury, central London, West Byfleet and Henley - with lots of people in between those places too - hence thinking southern GU in the first instance.

I think I need my big map out now :lol:

There be dragon's south of Leicester....

I'm scarier than dragons ;)

i spent a year moored at apsley, the people there were great and the nearby shop and food outlets were good too, friday/sat nights were sometimes a bit noisy but you did get a security guard in the area at weekends, i only moved out because i got a cheaper mooring not far away

My thinking had been mostly based around where our friends live - scattered between Aylesbury, central London, West Byfleet and Henley - with lots of people in between those places too - hence thinking southern GU in the first instance.

Aylesbury basin at the end of the Aylesbury arm also worth a look :)

i spent a year moored at apsley, the people there were great and the nearby shop and food outlets were good too, friday/sat nights were sometimes a bit noisy but you did get a security guard in the area at weekends, i only moved out because i got a cheaper mooring not far away

Googling as we speak :) Thank you!

I don't think Apsley's quite going to work for us, although it does look great. Ideally I'd like to find something cheaper than the marinas - we can just stretch to them, but I'd rather not if there are decent alternatives. Having said that, we're not the most flexible of families with the car issues, so might just need to bite the bullet with the cost.

Might all end up being a pipe dream, but it's definitely worth investigating this properly.

I'm not that keen on Marsworth, but that may be a matter of personal taste. Also the White Lion pub is, I think still without a tenant and the site looks a bit neglected. This may be out of date: it was a couple of months since I went past it. There are CaRT offside moorings above Seabrook lock which always look well maintained. Also there are farmer's field moorings on the offside between bridge 123 (Ivinghoe bridge) and lock 33 (Ivinghoe top lock). I can't find details online, but I think there's a board with a phone number in the field. Sorry, not very helpful.

The GU through the Chilterns is IMHO, a very pleasant. Well worth coming down and having a look round the area.

Hi,

I will second KK's views, Cowroast is a lovely spot and the marina moorings may suit you best, the Tring Summit normally has no water problems.

Cruising north from Cowroast is excellent and the Aylesbury Arm has some good views of the Chilterns.

Grove lock Marina looks good (shame about the pub) and Seabrook moorings (private) have vehicle access.

Lets us know if you come down for a look round.

L.

The permanent moorings at Aylesbury are run by Aylesbury Canal Society. They are soon moving to a new 'marina', to be built on the edge of town. Not sure what the waiting list is like but may be worth contacting ACS to find out.

As a resident in Apsley i'm a bit biased,, but I barely notice the flats. There is early any noise or maybe i'm a deep sleeper. The parking is allocated so if you get a Marina space its yours, not first come first served but if you don't then I think you have a problem because the other spaces are allocated to the flats.

As a resident in Apsley i'm a bit biased,, but I barely notice the flats. There is early any noise or maybe i'm a deep sleeper. The parking is allocated so if you get a Marina space its yours, not first come first served but if you don't then I think you have a problem because the other spaces are allocated to the flats.

Not that I have any intention of moving into Apsley marina but do people living in the flats complain about chimney smoke from the boats. As people that have just moved into the newly built houses opposite us have just started to complain.

Darren

I'm not that keen on Marsworth, but that may be a matter of personal taste. Also the White Lion pub is, I think still without a tenant and the site looks a bit neglected. This may be out of date: it was a couple of months since I went past it. There are CaRT offside moorings above Seabrook lock which always look well maintained. Also there are farmer's field moorings on the offside between bridge 123 (Ivinghoe bridge) and lock 33 (Ivinghoe top lock). I can't find details online, but I think there's a board with a phone number in the field. Sorry, not very helpful.

The GU through the Chilterns is IMHO, a very pleasant. Well worth coming down and having a look round the area.

The White Lion indeed remains boarded up, with concrete barriers across the car park - all looking fairly sad, and I wonder if it will ever again be a pub ?

I think Marsworth is over-rated for moorings - for a start much of the towpath turns into a mudbath with little provocation. How long the boater facilities are actually allowed to stay at Marsworth Yard once the new houses are built there is anybody's guess - my money is on "not long". :angry:

As to online moorings North of there, the ones above Seabrook are actually largely privately rented, only a handful are BW, and none have I think ever come up at auction. There is a phone number on a board advertising the private ones, but a phone call has always produced a "we are full reply".

North of that, as you say, there are two further lots of offside moorings, privately owned. I made repeated enquiries to both, with zero success, but at least one forum member did get lucky at one - I think by actually turning up, and nagging them - phoning any of these sites doesn't seem to get you anywhere.

Very, very few of any of the online BW moorings that come up on the stretch from (say) Milton Keynes to Cow Roast have any sort of parking associated with them at all - that sounds like it would be a big restriction to Cice. There is a kind of car park associated with the moorings above Slapton lock, but those moorings themselves are only accessibly by crossing the lock gates.

I think Marsworth is over-rated for moorings - for a start much of the towpath turns into a mudbath with little provocation. How long the boater facilities are actually allowed to stay at Marsworth Yard once the new houses are built there is anybody's guess - my money is on "not long". :angry:

As to online moorings North of there, the ones above Seabrook are actually largely privately rented, only a handful are BW, and none have I think ever come up at auction. There is a phone number on a board advertising the private ones, but a phone call has always produced a "we are full reply".

North of that, as you say, there are two further lots of offside moorings, privately owned. I made repeated enquiries to both, with zero success, but at least one forum member did get lucky at one - I think by actually turning up, and nagging them - phoning any of these sites doesn't seem to get you anywhere.

Very, very few of any of the online BW moorings that come up on the stretch from (say) Milton Keynes to Cow Roast have any sort of parking associated with them at all - that sounds like it would be a big restriction to Cice. There is a kind of car park associated with the moorings above Slapton lock, but those moorings themselves are only accessibly by crossing the lock gates.

I believe White Lion has internal structural problems even before this landlords have come and gone. Have always prefered the Red Lion to the Anglers. The shame is that the moorers on BW moorings used to be able to use the bottom of the large White LIon car park. There is no no safe parking at Marsworth or Slapton BW moorings. There are some vacant spots just north of Seabrook on the field moorings I believe but its a case of turning and up not calling I believe as Alan says. Grove Marina had a space i believe as we came through late summer but I would probably plump for Cowroast as the best chance to get a berth if you want to pay marina prices.

Edited by Tuscan

This is really useful - thank you all :)

It's sounding more and more like Cowroast is going to be the way forward - mostly because of the parking problem. The price is a fair bit more than we're currently paying, but we're tied down with accessibility issues.

I think what we'll do is head down one weekend and have a proper look - if the boy is in respite it'll be easy enough. It's definitely worth trying the privately owned offside moorings (I can smile sweetly and persist! With not being in a mad hurry to move, this may increase our luck?) - if anyone happens to be passing by and can grab the phone numbers, that would be great, but can easily do that when we're down too.

Marsworth sounds like a no-go, especially with things changing so much there with new houses etc.

Will let you all know when we're heading down in case anyone fancies a quick pint. Thank you again :)

Edited by Circe

Not that I have any intention of moving into Apsley marina but do people living in the flats complain about chimney smoke from the boats. As people that have just moved into the newly built houses opposite us have just started to complain.

Darren

I've not heard of any complaints about smoke but a have diesel heating so wouldn't be hassled. There were some complaints about people moored outside running generators late into the night