making locks easier with an Easylass

jaynethecabingirl

Featured Posts

So just because most of us can tackle most paddles with standard kit, I don't see the point in questioning those who can't and find they need something that is out of the usual.

Yes in the cold light of day, you are right.

I posted very late and after most of a bottle of wine. I posted with a grumpy and skeptical list of questions because the OP has pitched up here and tried to flog us all something, using the classic advertising strategy of outlining a problem, then as if by surprise, offering a solution to sort it all out! This is fine if it's an advert, but in this case it's dressed up as a personal need and personal experience. THis may be true, but it may not and I remain skeptical.

I'll edit my post to make it less grumpy!

Mike

The only problem I could see with the Easylass was the weight, it was quite substantial. It had a lever that could either be parked against the lock beam leaving one or two hands free to wind the 5 :1 reduction gear or the lever could be held with one hand and the crank turned with the other. Alternatively it coukd be locked together and used as a normal 1:1 windlass.

I saw it being demonstrated at the IWA show at Huddersfield in '02, there was a test spindle for folks to turn and it had built in adjustable resistance in the form of a Mini brake hub. Very effective, if it could be made in a light metal then it would be viable.

Picture of it in my link to an earlier thread if anyone is interested.

Edited by nb Innisfree

Had a bit of a Google and came across this with a picture of said Easylass half way down the thread...

http://pub2.bravenet...825174&cmd=show

We have one, the very same.

It is a VERY well engineered bit of kit & worth every penny to someone who needs that extra help.

We have found on odd occasions that the handle just catches the gate beam which meant my lass sometimes had to resort to using our standard short one.

Mark.

:)

Just to let you know - I am not manufacturing these Easylass's

I am interested in getting them back in to production.

The people that originally made them will make them again, using modern technology, therefore making improvements to the original design

To get them in to production I need to make up an interested group of 20 persons

I am not doing this as a business and will not be making money out of it.

I find some locks hard to shift and I wouldn't call myself a weakling! so a bit of help with a geared windlass would be great!

Cabingirl

If you are not the manufacturer then why does your phone number appear on a free small ads page stating "We are making a geared windlass to make operating difficult locks easy to open."

Weight - is it heavier than 2 normal windlasses? We sometimes take 2 windlasses for particular 'known' locks which are an issue. For example, Bunbury staircase has normal ground paddles at the top, what can be very stiff (as all staircases tend to be!) ground paddles in the middle, and hydraulic geared gate paddles at the bottom. The top ground paddles are best done with a regular long throw windlass, the middle ones are just about okay, and the bottom gate are so geared that they're actually very easy but you'd want to use the short windlass to save effort in turning and turning (and turning) them. And, can use the short one for lowering the paddles.

I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable sum of money for a 'perfect' windlass. But for me, it would need to be something a bit more special than is promised here. For example:

* telescopic handle - long throw, extra long, short, and anything in between

* geared - but infinitely variable speed (like an IVT transmission - they exist!) and easy to change, so if it gets too stiff, can lower the gearing while being turned

* floats

* easy to carry and store

Why do people struggle with lifting paddles, is it because the gearing mechanism is worn out thus making it hard, is it because the gearing is new and not yet been worked in or is it that people are just not strong enough to cope. Don't take this the wrong way it's just a genuine enquire.

Darren

Well I've gone through it again and it still doesn't look like anyone spotted it was spam.

This was reported yesterday at 1145 am but it providing such quantities of innocent entertainment I am letting it run. If the other mods pick it up they may have different ideas and I will go along with what they say.

Nick

Edited by Theo
To make changes

I think it is your first suggestion Darren

Why do people struggle with lifting paddles, is it because the gearing mechanism is worn out thus making it hard, is it because the gearing is new and not yet been worked in or is it that people are just not strong enough to cope. Don't take this the wrong way it's just a genuine enquire.

Darren

To order one give me a ring or email me: jayne@foxfarm.co.uk phone:01473 828283

Just to let you know - I am not manufacturing these Easylass's

If you are not the manufacturer then why does your phone number appear on a free small ads page stating "We are making a geared windlass to make operating difficult locks easy to open."

We are making a geared windlass to make operating difficult locks easy to open.

If you are interested in one of these contact me.

Dated: 11 Oct 2012

Area: South East England

jaynethecabingirl - I notice you have not answered Dyad's question, have you ?

As your phone number seems to exactly match the small ad phone number, and there you claim to be making them, and here you claim not to be, can I suggest you are being "economical with the truth".

[

The original maker is going to make them.

They are working on the design at present, I will keep you posted on the modifications

The original design is a geared windlass see page 1 on this subject

thecabingirl

quote name=Mike the Boilerman' timestamp='1353033991' post='974552]

Ok.... some questions, if you would so kind please:

1) Who is manufacturing them if not you?

2) What are the improvements to the original design?

3) What was was the original design?

Many thanks,

Mike

(Edited to remove some grumpy and short-tempered questions ;) )

Darren

I thought it was not so much worn out gears, but the rod gets bent over time (or abuse, or collisions) and that makes it stiff. I guess there's many different areas it could wear or break though. Its lucky they mostly keep working, albeit are stiff, when like this (I know sometimes they don't).

I really can't see the problem here,

If you read the article it states that I would like a helpful tool to enable me to do the locks

I did my research and found the easylass

I have contacted the original maker and he has agreed to make them if I can find 20 people who will join me to make up an order

That's it chapter and verse

If you are interested e mail me or ring me.

jaynethecabingirl

jaynethecabingirl - I notice you have not answered Dyad's question, have you ?

As your phone number seems to exactly match the small ad phone number, and there you claim to be making them, and here you claim not to be, can I suggest you are being "economical with the truth".

I just Googled your boat name "Jayne Tann". I came up with THIS.

MtB

I really can't see the problem here,

Jayne,

The 'problem' is that when you registered here, you would have had to sign up to the terms and conditions, one of which was basically, no commercial advertising allowed.

Now you seem to be promoting your geared windlass all over the net, which makes us think you ARE a commercial advertiser. Can you confirm you are are 'not for profit' venture please?

Thanks,

MtB

Yes I do confirm that I am a not for profit venture.

I am not a commercial advertiser

I am simply trying to get a useful gear assisted windlass.

Please see the article in the latest Waterways World

Jaynethecabingirl

I just Googled your boat name "Jayne Tann". I came up with THIS.

MtB

Jayne,

The 'problem' is that when you registered here, you would have had to sign up to the terms and conditions, one of which was basically, no commercial advertising allowed.

Now you seem to be promoting your geared windlass all over the net, which makes us think you ARE a commercial advertiser. Can you confirm you are are 'not for profit' venture please?

Thanks,

MtB

I can't believe they cost that much to make!

Surely Jayne isn't skimming a bit off the top for her troubles?

I just don't believe someone would come on to a forum, pretend to be just another boating customer looking to make lockwheeling a bit easier for herself, and try to make a profit from such subterfuge.

I can't believe such people exist and am shocked at the cynicism displayed by some members who should know better.

I agree that these easylass's are expensive but the company has to develop them and put them in to production. They are also for a limited market as they will only be useful for UK waterways I am told that it is quite a complicated thing to make and the materials won't be cheap.

I am not an engineer or a product development executive.(or any other kind of business person)

I looked at another product on the market and that was expensive, but the problem was that it didn't do the job, because it wasn't geared.

By the way I am not skimming any profits should there be any, my motivation is not money, surprisingly - for some.

As I have stated before I would simply like to have a useful piece of equipement that will assist me in the locks. Something that is not too cumbersome or heavy and I hope that the Easylass will be the answer.

Jaynethecabingirl

Surely Jayne isn't skimming a bit off the top for her troubles?

I just don't believe someone would come on to a forum, pretend to be just another boating customer looking to make lockwheeling a bit easier for herself, and try to make a profit from such subterfuge.

I can't believe such people exist and am shocked at the cynicism displayed by some members who should know better.

Well i cant believe all you cynical people!

It sounds like a great idea. I might get one for myself for xmas

How much extra to have it jewel encrusted jayne?

Top posting - aaarghhhh!!!

ETA the question comes BEFORE the answer!

Hey, at least she worked out not to remove the [ without any prompting.

you want the moon on a stick you do eh

Well i cant believe all you cynical people!

It sounds like a great idea. I might get one for myself for xmas

How much extra to have it jewel encrusted jayne?

Hey, at least she worked out not to remove the [ without any prompting.

you want the moon on a stick you do eh

:D