Fishing from boats

DaveC

Featured Posts

I have seen a number of people fishing from their boats. I just wondered if this is permitted and would any licence (apart from an EA rod licence) be needed.

Dave, you'd need to check for whatever water you're on. The fishing rights will almost certainly belong to some club or other, but you may be able to buy day permits if you're not stopping there for long.

I read somewhere years ago that you can fish from the front of your boat but must be prepared to either buy a day ticket or pack up if challenged by a bailiff, seems fair enough to me.

Not too sure why they singled out the front of the boat, perhaps the rule was put in place when commercial anglers fished from the back of a boat.

You will need a rod licence though.

Would be nice if the boat licence included the right fo fish from your boat on navigable waters.

I read somewhere years ago that you can fish from the front of your boat but must be prepared to either buy a day ticket or pack up if challenged by a bailiff, seems fair enough to me.

Not too sure why they singled out the front of the boat, perhaps the rule was put in place when commercial anglers fished from the back of a boat.

You will need a rod licence though.

Would be nice if the boat licence included the right fo fish from your boat on navigable waters.

Agreed, I like to fish from the bow, never been challenged though, but the cost of a boat licence being what it is, I think should automatically include the general fishing licence required for rivers & canals.

I have seen a number of people fishing from their boats. I just wondered if this is permitted and would any licence (apart from an EA rod licence) be needed.

Dave

I was talking to John the lockie at Holme lock today. I pointed to a bloke fishing off the back of his narrowboat in the wind and John said it is allowed to fish off the boat there but not if sat on the bank :wacko:

Tim

I was talking to John the lockie at Holme lock today. I pointed to a bloke fishing off the back of his narrowboat in the wind and John said it is allowed to fish off the boat there but not if sat on the bank :wacko:

Tim

Not according to the CRT Web-Site.

I have got a boat license, does that also give me permission to fish?

No, a boating licence only gives consent to navigate and not to fish, in the same way that an angling licence gives the holder no rights of navigation.

Is it OK for me to fish off the back of my boat if its moored on the towing path side?

Yes, but only if you purchase either a day or season membership of the controlling club. You will also have to adhere to the club rules at all times. Please note that some angling clubs' public liability insurances only cover fishing from the bank and maybe invalid if something was to happen.

Fairly unequivocally the fact you are doing it from your boat changes nothing.

Agreed, I like to fish from the bow, never been challenged though, but the cost of a boat licence being what it is, I think should automatically include the general fishing licence required for rivers & canals.

It isn't though!

Not according to the CRT Web-Site.

Yes alan we all know the facts about rod licences, fishing rights etc but the bw/crt people in offices will have been sat drinking coffee a hundred miles away today and the Lockie is the one on the scene so the only one relevant in the real world. So folks if yas want to fish off your boat pop along to Holme lock ( Its on a big scary river ) and see John, hes a very nice bloke in charge of the lock ( And the local fishing rights ) ;)

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly

Yes alan we all know the facts about rod licences, fishing rights etc but the bw/crt people in offices will have been sat drinking coffee a hundred miles away today and the Lockie is the one on the scene so the only one relevant in the real world. So folks if yas want to fish off your boat pop along to Holme lock ( Its on a big scary river ) and see John, hes a very nice bloke in charge of the lock ( And the local fishing rights ) ;)

Tim

But your reply relates to a single location that there is a reasonable chance is not the one OP is inquiring about.

I doubt your friendly "lockie" has jurisdiction for the whole network, does he ?

Round here a blind eye is constantly turned to boats that never go anywhere - that doesn't make it the official line that it is OK for them to do that, does it ?

Personally I don't give a monkeys if they fish from their boat or they don't, (as long as their "long stick" isn't in the way when I'm boating), but possibly the OP wanted to know the official position ?

But your reply relates to a single location that there is a reasonable chance is not the one OP is inquiring about.

I doubt your friendly "lockie" has jurisdiction for the whole network, does he ?

Round here a blind eye is constantly turned to boats that never go anywhere - that doesn't make it the official line that it is OK for them to do that, does it ?

Personally I don't give a monkeys if they fish from their boat or they don't, (as long as their "long stick" isn't in the way when I'm boating), but possibly the OP wanted to know the official position ?

Hi Alan

I was just meaning that rules on the river and canal system are broken everyday. I speed on the motorway sometimes so do you ( please

please dont tell me you never speed ) These guys however do tend to move their sticks out of my way when I come out of the lock

:cheers:

Tim

Are the caught fish allowed to be eaten? Next question if so are they actually ok to eat?

Auckland Don

No. The official line on fishing is in the link to the CRT website already provided. That clearly states that you need permission from the fishing club that own the rights on that stretch of canal, and that you can not take fish away.

Are the caught fish allowed to be eaten? Next question if so are they actually ok to eat?

Auckland Don

You can take certain fish from EA waters. I've heard that many UK freshwater fish are either pretty tasteless or have a slight 'muddy' flavour... yum! Having said that, pike and carp are considered delicacies in some parts of the world.

ETA: I've eaten grayling that I've caught here. Very nice!

Edited by cl@rkey

Tim

But today it will be judi and I there, not John!

One diet supplement off the menu then, What about duck and duck eggs then?

Don

Yes to ducks - open season Sept-Jan, dispatched humanely no traps, snares etc.

No to duck eggs - I haven't checked this, but would be surprised if it's legal

Signal crayfish are another option. :)

Please have in mind that if an angling society has rights to a stretch of water they won't take very kindly if you start taking out THEIR fish....bit like if some contractor comes along and start draining out the water just because he wants to.

Read Alan F's link. Interested to note that angling licence permits fishing with two rods. Had a tiff a few years ago with an angler who claimed I was going too fast and he had to rush to get all his six lines in! Wish I had known about the two rod limit then.

So you cant remove fish from the area. If you had a B-B-Q is it OK to cook and eat them then and there?:)

Yes to ducks - open season Sept-Jan, dispatched humanely no traps, snares etc.

No to duck eggs - I haven't checked this, but would be surprised if it's legal

Signal crayfish are another option. :)

don't forget the canada goose with teryaki sauce !! :cheers:

Read Alan F's link. Interested to note that angling licence permits fishing with two rods. Had a tiff a few years ago with an angler who claimed I was going too fast and he had to rush to get all his six lines in! Wish I had known about the two rod limit then.

So you cant remove fish from the area. If you had a B-B-Q is it OK to cook and eat them then and there?:)

If he has three licences he can fish with 6 rods.

Auckland Don

This is the clear answer.

It is an offence to take any fish away from a canal or reservoir under the 1968 Theft Act and Environment Agency Byelaws. The reporter should telephone the Environment Agency 0800 807060 immediately.

This is the clear answer.

It is an offence to take any fish away from a canal or reservoir under the 1968 Theft Act and Environment Agency Byelaws. The reporter should telephone the Environment Agency 0800 807060 immediately.

Not much point in fishing then, Inedible and even if they were you are not allowed to. Better plan on other leisure activities whilst enjoying inland boating. Get in touch with my Scots ancestry, Bagpipe practice for absolute beginners?

Don

Edited by DandV