Safe way to drink canal water ???

davidc

Featured Posts

Would this inspire you to start drinking canal water, and do you think if this product was developed further for canals would it catch on.

Well what further development would it need for canal water?

I think the point is that it isn't aimed at us with a plentiful supply of clean drinking water but at those who don't.

Don't drink the water, fish fornicate in it.

I NEVER drink water apart from the fact its bloody orrible I cannot believe the risks people take, after all its bloody dangerous !! many people worldwide drown in water its that bad, I drink beer Ive never heard of anyone drowning in that so I consider it much safer :cheers:

Tim

Would this inspire you to start drinking canal water, and do you think if this product was developed further for canals would it catch on.

I can't see the uses in the UK outside of some kind of dire need/disaster.

However, the device is a very good invention. Anynody going to places where the drinking water is suspect or treking in the wild this would be very useful I wish I had it when in my younger days I did just that. Water with iodine tablets and other methods is OK but it tastes bad.

I see from his companies website that a small bottle that will treat 4000 litres costs £99. That is quite a good capacity in a small device you can back-pack with. I also see that it has a military use in places like Afganistan so helping the UK forces get clean water.

There are other water purification devices eg those from Seagull that offer installations for boats. I suppose that a similar designed device using this comanies filter system could be placed in line of the tap system to get good frinking water from the onboard tank.

Well what further development would it need for canal water?

I think the point is that it isn't aimed at us with a plentiful supply of clean drinking water but at those who don't.

The idea is to start think in a different way , why built expensive intro structure when in areas you do not need to.

You have in the south a water shortage but if you live near a river or water course this method would only cost a family of 4 half a cent a day, what’s the water charge now.

And what happens if C&RT starts to charge for water.

I suspect that canal water could be purified to drinking standards quite easily, but that the cost would remain high rather like on board electricity generation. A simple sand filter followed by reverse osmosis should get to an acceptable purity just that it will likely be cheaper to go to the nearest tap and get clean water.

I NEVER drink water apart from the fact its bloody orrible I cannot believe the risks people take, after all its bloody dangerous !! many people worldwide drown in water its that bad, I drink beer Ive never heard of anyone drowning in that so I consider it much safer :cheers:

Tim

My mate Dave says he had an uncle who drowned in a vat of beer - only problem was he had to get out three times for a pee... :lol:

You have in the south a water shortage but if you live near a river or water course this method would only cost a family of 4 half a cent a day, what’s the water charge now.

And if everybody abstracts their own water from the river it would miraculously mean that there was more water in the river?

And if everybody abstracts their own water from the river it would miraculously mean that there was more water in the river?

We could always put the water back after our body had finished with it ;)

The water filters we used to fit in our boats, fed from SS tanks, for drinking and cooking are from General Ecology. They always had a stand at Crick show.

Their party trick was to take water direct from the canal, put it through their filter and drink it.

I wouldn't have a second thought of doing the same if I needed to, I find the C&RT water points are frequent enough to save me from having to do so. :rolleyes:

A CWDF member has posted before on his onboard filtration system, purifies canal water fit for drinking. Can't recall who it was.

Perhaps Mitch who lives on Suma in the London area? Haven't heard from him for a while and hope he is OK

haggis

Isn't there at least one canal that is used as a conduit for drinking water?

I think you're thinking of the Llangollen? Technically not, the water in it isn't drinking water, it is further treated before it becomes "drinking water". Its probably better quality than most other canals, but certainly no where near drinking quality.