Wall beds, anyone got one?

Zayna

Featured Posts

OK, idea number 39946... a bed that lifts up and goes against the wall during the day, and simply folds down at bedtime.

To go against the side wall of the bedroom, it will block a porthole during the day but will provide extra space and seating when it's up, and a five foot bed when it's down. Allegedly. Wardrobes either side...

Not done the measurements yet, but has anyone got one, or thinks it might work?

We have similar - a cross double. Its about 1/3 2/3 split so the corridor width is good, and its about 5 foot wide so its very comfy - and wide enough to take a standard double bed sheet. We have one with the elasticated corners, which means it stays on even when folded. The boards which support the folded out section fold onto the opposite wall neatly. It takes about 10 seconds to 'make' the bed. And, there is still a good 'dumping ground' for items you might want during the day, which get swept off of a bed at night so you can sleep in it (this is the narrowboat equivalent of the car passenger seat, when you're driving it on your own).

A fold down double does sound a great idea in a narrowboat but you'd miss out on that flat 'dumping ground' - maybe that's a good thing?

I spent some time researching into wall beds a while ago. What made me opt against the idea was that it would have to fold up against an internal bulkhead, because the windowed walls aren't vertical, they're sloping. There are wall beds that fold up lengthways rather than height ways (if that makes sense) and might fit below the window.

OK, idea number 39946... a bed that lifts up and goes against the wall during the day, and simply folds down at bedtime.

To go against the side wall of the bedroom, it will block a porthole during the day but will provide extra space and seating when it's up, and a five foot bed when it's down. Allegedly. Wardrobes either side...

We were gooing to do this ,what put us off was it would be just an empty space during the day,if you put seating in you have to find somewhere for the seating at night.

Thanks folks! That Cream Cracker one looks like what we're after. I'm Googling as well for other ideas. We swizzed the mattress round this weekend and had a go at sleeping across the bed, omg it was fantastic, tons of room, now we just have to find a way to build it and we don't want bits of mattresses, the flip up bed is what we're after.

WE have the same kind of cross bed as Paul C. I wonder if he got his split mattress from the same people as us, Edwardian Bedding? I can thoroughly recommend them.

BUT if either of you is six feet tall or more, you may find this sort of bed restrictive.

Edited by Athy

There are of course many many boats that use a similar scheme to this ..its called a boatmans cabin!!!!

Many people feel that a boat must have a fixed bed and I used to agree, but experience has changed my mind. It only takes a minute or so to sort out the bed in the back cabin. We no longer use the fixed bedroom and it has turned into a store room/dogs bedroom.

.........Dave

A boat call "Footsie 100" has a full size one fitted. Built by Goldsbrough boats, It was tested by one of the mags some years ago

I remember it well, saw it at Crick Show I think.

Mrs. Athy and I picnic'ed on the bank by your boat again the other day, are you never there or do you hide inside?

There are of course many many boats that use a similar scheme to this ..its called a boatmans cabin!!!!

Many people feel that a boat must have a fixed bed and I used to agree, but experience has changed my mind. It only takes a minute or so to sort out the bed in the back cabin. We no longer use the fixed bedroom and it has turned into a store room/dogs bedroom.

.........Dave

Same except we don't have a fixed bedroom just the back cabin

ABNB web site currently have "cream Cracker" which has a drop down bed.

The sales info shows a few photos of the bed being deployed and it has wardrobes either side.

http://www.abnb.co.u...php?BoatID=2312

I wonder how it is balanced? It would be quite heavy to lift without some assistance. I have seen one that made good use of a couple of gas struts, the sort that are used on hatchback car tailgates.

If you google 'wall bed' you'll find some examples, including both the bare bedframes, and the ones that fold into big cupboards- and there are some on ebay.

But what they seemed to have in common was they were too long, when laying flat. Most narrowboats boat wouldn't be wide enough to fit most of the ones I saw.

I still like the fold-down idea, so I decided that my approach would be too shorten the wall bed by a few inches (there'd have to a bit of welding involved, but for me it was worth it). I think it will be a bit of a challenge to find a wall bed that is short enough to fit across a narrowboat when laying flat.

But yes, I love the idea- personally I always feel that narrowboats are a restrictive living space, and if during the day a feeling of greater space can be created, then for me that is worth the hassle of taking five seconds to pull down a bed.

I thought that instead of a permanent dinette thingy, I could perhaps have a foldaway table/chairs that could then be erected in the bed space as needed, during the day/evening.

I was thinking of maybe managing with a boat of 50ft or less, but even if we go for 57ft, saving ten feet or so by not having a permanent bed seemed a good idea.

Thanks for all your replies, is doesn't seem like an impossible idea after all.

Well, my chap is going down to the boat today to measure up.

He'll make it himself, he's handy like that. We will lose a porthole during the day but we don't stand looking out if it anyway, and there's plenty of ventilation, the bedroom is at the bow end and the doors are there.

He is quite a tall chap and I did worry that he wouldn't be able to sleep widthways, but he's fine.

If we do decide to go ahead and do it, I'll take photos and put them up.

A boat call "Footsie 100" has a full size one fitted. Built by Goldsbrough boats, It was tested by one of the mags some years ago

In October 2010 we went down the Braunston locks together with "Footsie 100".

Our boat is also a Goldsbrough and we saw many similarities between the two boats. I don't know what their bed looks like, but this is the one on Indulgence:

0112.jpg

The bed is fitted lengthwise and is 5 feet wide and 6ft5in long. There is a gap between the bed and the wall, which gives just that little bit extra space, you don't lie right against the wall. (Only don't drop your mobile in this gap, it will take a long time to retrieve it, don't ask...)

When the bed is folded down, it is still (just) possible to walk past. The bed folds up fully made-up, three elastic straps hold everything in place.

The mattress is in one piece, and we have two seperate (single) duvets.

0114.jpg

Under the bed is the wastewater tank and some room for storage, there are some cupboards above the bed.

0116.jpg

At the foot-end there is room to stick out your feet, and having some space there makes it easier for the one sleeping on the inner side (me) to get out of bed without having to climb over the other one.

We have no problems with ventilation at all. When we leave the boat for longer periods, we leave the bed folded down and fully made-up so it is ready for us when we arrive, normally late in the evening.

Heaving the bed up or folding it down can easily be done by one person.

We are very content with our folding bed.

Helen

Edited by hvdb

That's exactly what we've got - a folding single bed that folds against the upper cabin side during the day. There are bulkheads either side and these provide the mounting point for the pivots. The bed has a steel frame for strength and is clad in wood to make it look ok. The bed covers a porthole, so the bed has a hinged flap in it that's closed at night and opened in the day when the bed is folded so you can see out of the window. The bed is secured in the day using rack bolts that would normally be used on a domestic door - stops the kids playing with it and having an accident. When the bed is folded up in the day it forms a nice surround for the porthole. Using this design allowed me to save 6' of boat length.

Edited by Chalky

In October 2010 we went down the Braunston locks together with "Footsie 100".

Our boat is also a Goldsbrough and we saw many similarities between the two boats. I don't know what their bed looks like, but this is the one on Indulgence:

0112.jpg

The bed is fitted lengthwise and is 5 feet wide and 6ft5in long. There is a gap between the bed and the wall, which gives just that little bit extra space, you don't lie right against the wall. (Only don't drop your mobile in this gap, it will take a long time to retrieve it, don't ask...)

When the bed is folded down, it is still (just) possible to walk past. The bed folds up fully made-up, three elastic straps hold everything in place.

The mattress is in one piece, and we have two seperate (single) duvets.

0114.jpg

Under the bed is the wastewater tank and some room for storage, there are some cupboards above the bed.

0116.jpg

At the foot-end there is room to stick out your feet, and having some space there makes it easier for the one sleeping on the inner side (me) to get out of bed without having to climb over the other one.

We have no problems with ventilation at all. When we leave the boat for longer periods, we leave the bed folded down and fully made-up so it is ready for us when we arrive, normally late in the evening.

Heaving the bed up or folding it down can easily be done by one person.

We are very content with our folding bed.

Helen

Neat or what? That looks superbly crefted as well as being a good idea, who built it?

• 2 weeks later...

Neat or what? That looks superbly crefted as well as being a good idea, who built it?

Hi Mr. Athy,

Sorry about the late answer, but the last two weeks we were on the boat for the last trip of this year. The internet connection was bad, so we did not bother with it and we only arrived back home yesterday evening and that is when I saw your question.

To answer it: our boat was built by Stephen Goldsbrough Boats in Knowle (Solihull), they fitted her out to a good standard and we are proud to be her (second) owners.

Helen