Appeal

jenlyn

Featured Posts

Shan't be making the donation. They take my money but all they do is go on about walkers cyclists birds (feathery) buying seeds so schools can grow vegetables. Boaters? Who they?!?

I guess they are right in that case.....can't rely on some boaters who are effected most by this breach. I guess you just want an exclusive waterways but only pay a small percentage of the cost.

I guess they are right in that case.....can't rely on some boaters who are effected most by this breach. I guess you just want an exclusive waterways but only pay a small percentage of the cost.

No not at all. I'd just like them to mention boating a little more often. After all we do pay something to the whole venture!

No not at all. I'd just like them to mention boating a little more often. After all we do pay something to the whole venture!

Am I understanding you correctly. Because CRT don't mention boaters enough you are prepared to leave some boaters sitting in a de-watered canal longer than necessary?

That doesn't seem a sensible attitude to me. Perhaps a rallying round by boaters might help convince CRT that boaters are in fact the life blood of the canals and pay more attention to them.

Worth a gamble to me.

• Greenie 1

Are you really saying that even though the new charitable status allows C&RT to raise money in this way, they shouldn't do it?

So if dog walkers, ramblers, anglers, cyclists etc in that area feel like putting their hands in their pockets you'd say, "no, no, keep your money. The contingency fund wil pay for it. Obviously that will mean a lack of funds in the future, but that will only affect boaters."

If you don't want to contirubute, then don't. But to criticise a charity for asking for money for a particular purpose is nonsensical.

i notice you pick out 1 thing yet subtly avoid the comments either side about salaries? yes a charity has the right to raise capital in any way it can but to the squander a large amount of it on fat cat pay is not acceptable.

Am I understanding you correctly. Because CRT don't mention boaters enough you are prepared to leave some boaters sitting in a de-watered canal longer than necessary?

That doesn't seem a sensible attitude to me. Perhaps a rallying round by boaters might help convince CRT that boaters are in fact the life blood of the canals and pay more attention to them.

Worth a gamble to me.

Obviously I hope I'm wrong in saying this, but I think you're living in dreamland.

Edited by PiRSqwared

Worth a gamble to me.

Greenie Hopefully it will at least be the start of some constructive dialogue

i notice you pick out 1 thing yet subtly avoid the comments either side about salaries? yes a charity has the right to raise capital in any way it can but to the squander a large amount of it on fat cat pay is not acceptable.

I think the pay level is about right for director roles but I would like to see clearly published criteria which should be stretched targets before any bonuses are paid, they should not just be paid automatically as part of he salary package. Publishing the criteria would be a good transparent step.

Shan't be making the donation. They take my money but all they do is go on about walkers cyclists birds (feathery) buying seeds so schools can grow vegetables. Boaters? Who they?!?

I've made a donation because, until the breach is repaired, I will not be able to walk, cycle, birdwatch, fish or even boat that stretch of canal.

The kids can have the seeds because it's an insignificant sum that could be worth a fortune in goodwill.

Yes great idea I hope they come on and give us an update, got a nice text reply but I hope this doesn't lead to any spam texts from them.

I noticed on their web donation page it says you can 'stop communications by texting DECLINE to 70007' I've just done that so not expecting any spam now!

Hopefully they are posting the appeal widely e.g. cycling organisations,fishing ,walking etc,otherwise it will only be the people interested in the canals for floating boats that will see it.being unemployed at the moment i would much rather go and help physically with the repair than contribute monetarily.

I

The kids can have the seeds because it's an insignificant sum that could be worth a fortune in goodwill.

Better still if they gave them the seed to grow the plants that line the canals and see there hard work growing there.

OK you guys have convinced me so I will donate 'cos I care about the canal system.

It does however leave a bad taste and always will as long as Evans and Co keep taking their outrageous salaries and wasting large amounts of money on looney shemes that benefit anyone but boaters.

Worth a gamble to me.

I think you have got things the wrong way round on the need to establish credibility issue.

Besides, how exactly will they know that you are a boater when you send your £5 text?

Edited by PiRSqwared

That is the bit that I am uncomfortable with. I think that situation will never change in the UK though, so we have to live with it. I believe the donation thing is a dangerous precedent, but I want a canal system. All we can do is get our hand in our pocket (again.)

I will be livid if I discover that they are building posh offices and the like, in a similar manner to BW at Wigan, when the locks outside of the office were falling apart.

That is the bit that I am uncomfortable with. I think that situation will never change in the UK though, so we have to live with it. I believe the donation thing is a dangerous precedent, but I want a canal system. All we can do is get our hand in our pocket (again.)

I agree. The bottom line though is that we all want a viable canal system and given the financial and climatic difficulties we are encountering, I feel that my only option is to cough up a bit to help. A couple of pints I won't now be drinking.

I agree. The bottom line though is that we all want a viable canal system and given the financial and climatic difficulties we are encountering, I feel that my only option is to cough up a bit to help. A couple of pints I won't now be drinking.

That's how I see it; a drink or two less will contribute a fiver to the fund.

I'm sure a lot of people would agree that the top level of management is paid too much. But how does refusing to donate to this appeal advance that argument?

If you decline to contribute to this appeal, will anyone's salary go down? No, it won't.

If you decline to contribute to this appeal, will the full cost have to be met from existing budgets? Yes, it will.

Would it be churlish of me to point out I pay them about £2k a year already for doing things like repairing this breach?

Ok I'll send a text.... :)

Not churlish at all - its a valid point.

Like you I already make a sizeable, compulsory contribution to this charity, in return for which I thought I would be able to take advantage of all the services that BW have provided me with for all these years. If the charity cannot make ends meet and therefore cannot continue to provide those services, then it needs to consider how it should fund itself in the future, which may include a general appeal for funds.

What it should not do is to fall at the first hurdle and hold out a begging bowl. What next - this lock flight will remain closed until the appeal for funds for its repairs has reached its target?

What it should not do is to fall at the first hurdle and hold out a begging bowl. What next - this lock flight will remain closed until the appeal for funds for its repairs has reached its target?

And how would dog walkers, ramblers, anglers, and cyclists contribute to the fixing of this breach without an appeal.

I've yet to come across a charity which didn't fundraise (indeed, it's what they're for). So how this can be classed as falling at the first hurdle is beyond me.