foxton locks

cariad

Featured Posts

went up the foxton flight this morning and what a joy, all the paddles,gates, water point working and in fine order, in fact, they must be the easiest locks that we have done and we have done

most of the system. there was even a mooring for disabled boaters and quite right too, all the grass neatly cut, the gates and paddles nicely painted. wouldn't it be nice if all the locks were like this. we'd have bugger all to complain about then, or would we?.

it seems where there are lockies or C&RT boatyards the gates and paddles work o.k. and the surrounding area is all prettied up, or am i being a little bit cynical ?.

went up the foxton flight this morning and what a joy, all the paddles,gates, water point working and in fine order, in fact, they must be the easiest locks that we have done and we have done

most of the system. there was even a mooring for disabled boaters and quite right too, all the grass neatly cut, the gates and paddles nicely painted. wouldn't it be nice if all the locks were like this. we'd have bugger all to complain about then, or would we?.

it seems where there are lockies or C&RT boatyards the gates and paddles work o.k. and the surrounding area is all prettied up, or am i being a little bit cynical ?.

When we went up and down just over a week ago the volunteer lockies were wearing lifejackets, but the people reaching over the edge to paint the lock beams weren't, strange

Being a pedant, the site is actually grade II* listed, about the highest designation a 19th century structure can get without being world heritage. It is also on an internationally recognised list of significant canal sites. When I get back to the house I'll get the list (and the organisation that produce it) off the shelves, please remind me.

This status saved it from the dreaded hydraulic paddle gear in the seventies.

I've only been through them once, and my one complaint was that they went too quickly! Visited many times, not least as I was the main author of the 2000 report by Atkins into restoring the Inclined Plane.

If you sit with your back to the incline, looking over the locks, take the view in. The locks are just about the most modern structure within the landscape

Being a pedant, the site is actually grade II* listed, about the highest designation a 19th century structure can get without being world heritage. It is also on an internationally recognised list of significant canal sites. When I get back to the house I'll get the list (and the organisation that produce it) off the shelves, please remind me.

This status saved it from the dreaded hydraulic paddle gear in the seventies.

I've only been through them once, and my one complaint was that they went too quickly! Visited many times, not least as I was the main author of the 2000 report by Atkins into restoring the Inclined Plane.

If you sit with your back to the incline, looking over the locks, take the view in. The locks are just about the most modern structure within the landscape

Bingley is Grade 1, though I don't think any riser locks in this country rate being World Heritage. The only ones which could be considered are the seven-rise at Rogny, on the Canal de Briare in France, which were built between 1610 and 1642 (approx, I don't have the exact dates to hand). IMHO, Pontcysyllte doesn't rate either, and only got its listing to keep the Welsh politicians quiet.

Foxton has always been tidy - certainly in my experiance and that goes back to the 80's.

However, I don't think the grants pay for the lockies - just raises the profile in BW / CART's eyes.

Spare a thought for the Watford flight, that's just as tidy, but it doesn't have the views or the access.

Foxton has always been tidy - certainly in my experiance and that goes back to the 80's.

However, I don't think the grants pay for the lockies - just raises the profile in BW / CART's eyes.

in those days Danny Astill looked after them on his own! it was only when mick and crystal jones took over that it became a 2 person job!

multi posting deleted!!!

Edited by hamsterfan

in those days Danny Astill looked after them on his own! it was only when mick and crystal jones took over that it became a 2 person job!

Your finger has a stutter problem.

Martyn

Our first journey took us down Watford Braunston and Foxton, 10 weeks ago taking our boat to be painted, whilst we both admired the lovely condition of most of the locks we went through, Foxton was where the wife broke both her fingers letting go of the handle with the ratchet disconnected, she still can't fit her wedding rings on..

We went a few weeks ago to have a look around as a friend had said it was so nice there. It was indeed nice such a lovely day and we had a drink in the pub and a walk down the canal with an ice cream. Well worth a visit.

Hopefully the drink was at 'Bridge 61' !!!! :cheers: not the locks inn !

During our recent big trip , we noticed that C&RT were concentrating on the bigger attractions - Fradley had volunteer lockies (who worked the locks perfect) & newley painted gates (courtesy of Coors Brewery) I guess Foxton is benefiting from similar (a few yrs ago the lock gates looked poor!)

Get the volunteers up on the Rochdale ! - Maybe improving the locks there may entice boaters to use it (Such a shame to see no one past Hebden bridge to Manchester after all the restoration work)

Hopefully the drink was at 'Bridge 61' !!!! :cheers: not the locks inn !

yes Tony, Mary and kids deserve the business after being shafted by BW and Scottish & Newcastle Brewery as without their efforts the locks Inn wouldn't even be there!!

and what happened to the jones's? mick and crystal were there for a while and keith (mick's brother) was last seen at Welford after he moved his boats whimbrel and firefly (steam hire boat)there?

Bingley is Grade 1, though I don't think any riser locks in this country rate being World Heritage. The only ones which could be considered are the seven-rise at Rogny, on the Canal de Briare in France, which were built between 1610 and 1642 (approx, I don't have the exact dates to hand). IMHO, Pontcysyllte doesn't rate either, and only got its listing to keep the Welsh politicians quiet.

Being a pedant again Bingley is also 18th century not 19th, which makes Grade 1 easier to attain, however this hasn't stopped BW makning excuses for not stivking to tradional designs for the gates and paddles.

Tempted to agree with regard Pontcysyllte. Being World Heritage should, I suppose, mean something that the world should sit up and take notice of, which can mean the spectacular and can mean the obscure. The spectacular tend to have their champions, the obscure less so.

and what happened to the jones's? mick and crystal were there for a while and keith (mick's brother) was last seen at Welford after he moved his boats whimbrel and firefly (steam hire boat)there?

If Mick and Crystal are who I think they are, (Green louvre windowed harborough style boat) they are now on a LTM above Buckby Top - no longer involved in waterways work.

If Mick and Crystal are who I think they are, (Green louvre windowed harborough style boat) they are now on a LTM above Buckby Top - no longer involved in waterways work.

Thats not them....Last time I saw them they are moored at Willow Wren in Rugby...Mick has retired but Crystal is still working doing hire turnarounds etc....

Foxton/Watford hasnt really been the same since they left...sometimes you need the lockies to be forceful with both boaters and the general public in order to avoid accidents!

Cheers

Gareth

• 4 weeks later...

How we loved the Foxton locks, we were around there (based in Debdale for a few weeks getting stuff done. We would cruise up to Foxton every weekend and have a lovely time. It was early September with that wonderful weather to make up for all the bad stuff in the middle of the year. It has such a good atmosphere, they had some fundraising and celebrations going on, lots of activity. Such a friendly atmosphere.

We came down the locks for the first time when we were going to Debdale, and it was such fun, you didn't want it to finish. We patronised both pubs, but mainly Bridge 61, and their lovely little shop which had so many things of interest in it. Now we sit in Australia, hoping we can come back to our boat for next year. First port of call, Foxton Locks!

I agree it's a very nice place to be. We have been up/down a few times and mooring at the top overnight is great. Living not too far away we have also visited by car just to have a day out.

The evidence for your statment of how the heritage status was come by is?

Personally I think that is just nuts. It is a fine structure and stretch of canal. I think it deserves some kind of special status. If the incline plane was also still at Foxton and in use I think that could qualify too but sadly not to be. There are of course many deserving locations along the UK Inland Waterways that deserve recognition. Whether Poncysyllte deserves a higher status or not of course is a matter of opinion but the fact is, it does and I think we should pleased that at least somewhere along the system we have such recognition. It's far better to take the positive from it than take cheap shots.

Being a pedant again Bingley is also 18th century not 19th, which makes Grade 1 easier to attain, however this hasn't stopped BW makning excuses for not stivking to tradional designs for the gates and paddles.

Tempted to agree with regard Pontcysyllte. Being World Heritage should, I suppose, mean something that the world should sit up and take notice of, which can mean the spectacular and can mean the obscure. The spectacular tend to have their champions, the obscure less so.

I am surprised given your previous pedantry that you didn't clarify that the Pontcysylte aqueduct is only part of the 18 kilometre long world heritage site that also includes chirk aqueduct too and of course the canal itself.

Edited by churchward