Cycling Accident

dmr

Featured Posts

The trouble is that everybody considers themselves to be considerate. And we all know that not to be the case. The Lycra brigade should not be considered welcome on the towpath. As far as I know the speed limit on the towpath is the same as the on the water. Someone out for a bit of a Sunday pootle about on a push bike isn't the same as " fast Eddie " in full kit on a keep fit run to the next town in under twenty minutes. I've been brushed aside by them. Nearly had my head knocked off getting out of the side hatch.

They probably feel safe but I don't when they come whistling past and anyone who says we should look out for them and that they have as much of a right to be on the towpath as the boaters, walkers and general leisure users of the rivers and canals is just plainly wrong. Rant over.

Steve P.

I saw a couple of lycra clad lovelies this afternoon (not on a tow path) they were rather large and moving so slowly that they were being overtaken by old folk with walking frames!

Just thought I'd mention it.

I cycle, I ride a motorbike, I drive a car. Still trying to get a NB but the bankers stole all my money.

I have been run over twice while walking, by cars, neither of whom stopped.

I have been knocked off my motorbike by 8 cars & 1 bus, 9 written off motorbikes & 2 lengthy stays in hospital. None of the cars stopped.

I have been knocked off my bicycle by cars more times than I can remember, none of the cars have ever stopped.

I once crashed my motorbike while avoiding a cycling road race (on public roads, not closed) who pulled out on me when I had right of way, perhaps I should have just ploughed into them.

I've been knocked off by a pedestrian (a kid) who ran into the road into me, too late to avoid, I was left unconcious in the gutter, I awoke to see him put in the back of an ambulance, I called for help but was ignored. Broken arm for me.

I recently cycled 3 miles to my nearest Halfords, 734 cars didnt give me the required amount of room when passing me, most of them were speeding. Only 2 cars & 1 lorry gave me the right amount of room when passing.

Whilst approaching a pedestrian crossing, 3 15 yo lads (walking) genuinely thought I didnt have to stop because I was on a bicycle, they had a green man I had a red light.

I've had fishermen not get their rods out of the way, most it seems would rather block the towpath, & then get angsty when you jump over their poles... mmm perhaps I should ride over them instead of jumping them.

I've had 4 people get off a NB & physically stop me 'cuz they object to bicycles, until 1 of them recognised me as being the Vice Chairman of a local motorcycle club & said that I was ok.

I will ride fast if there is no one around, I have a bell on my bike, I will ride on the pavement, I've seen a guy killed riding on the road at the same time a copper was trying to arrest me for riding on the path (after 3 warnings) but they wouldnt do anything about the cars speeding & passing too close, which is why I was riding on the path...

I've been knocked off by a woman in a car who didnt stop, who I managed to catch up with, the police refused to attend, she said I wobbled into her, 12 years later the same woman got locked up for hit & run on a cyclist who died.

Most peeps dont obey the law & are inconsiderate, & the police dont enforce it. In fact nearly everybody I come across is selfish & does something wrong.

I dont wear lycra. Every bicycle I've ever owned has been stolen, despite using a hefty motorbike lock.

They dont need to widen the towpaths, just put some woodchip on the bits that get/are really muddy. I hate the way they've tarmacced most of the towpaths near me (& are working on the rest).

I can always stop within the bit I can see.

2012-08-07%252021.45.31.jpg

• Greenie 1

I cycle, I ride a motorbike, I drive a car. Still trying to get a NB but the bankers stole all my money.

2012-08-07%252021.45.31.jpg

Don't know about being unlucky. I imagine you'd need quite alot of luck to survive all of that.

Nice looking bike.

Edited by Higgs

I actively promote the use of the nations canal network and encourage people to cycle along it. I would like to see towpaths improved to encourage more people to use our canal network, all users benefit form the increased use of the system. I know some people would like to keep it as a private playground for a very small minority but they wont pay for it so everyone should be encouraged to sue it. the more cyclists the better.

• Greenie 1

The one group I definitely want banning are those dog owners who let their pet crap on the bit of grass I step on as I try to moor. Those who clear up properly after their pet...well done...but I would still prefer locksides, landings and mooring spots to not be used as dog toilets.

Rant over.

Feel better now.

I actively promote the use of the nations canal network and encourage people to cycle along it. I would like to see towpaths improved to encourage more people to use our canal network, all users benefit form the increased use of the system. I know some people would like to keep it as a private playground for a very small minority but they wont pay for it so everyone should be encouraged to sue it. the more cyclists the better.

Just how many Walkers and cyclists contribute towards the upkeep of the canals? Boaters are the only ones that contribute directly to the upkeep of canals and towpaths

As far as I know the speed limit on the towpath is the same as the on the water.

And your source for that is ??.........

There wouldn't be a huge point in lock-wheeling by push-bike, if you were limited to the same speed a boat travels, or you can walk!.......

Just how many Walkers and cyclists contribute towards the upkeep of the canals? Boaters are the only ones that contribute directly to the upkeep of canals and towpaths

All of us walkers, cyclists and dog-exercisers who also own licensed boats, contribute directly for a start.

Oh, and given that much of the money still comes from the government, and boat licensing and mooring is only a minor part (but of course significant part) of CaRT revenues, then any of us who actually pay tax, are contributing too. OK, not directly, in the latter case, but we are paying, so it is not unreasonable to have access to something we are paying for, is it ?

Whilst I do sometimes get annoyed by cyclists, I think that given where we are the use by cyclists and walkers has to be promoted, and that they key is CRT needs to secure income from them by the "friends" scheme or otherwise. This needs education, as right now people think of the towpaths no differently to footpaths etc, and would see no need to contribute to their upkeep.

As the "direct contributors" don't actually contribute enough to cover the maintenance of the bits they need perhaps they shouldn't crow too much.

The removal of the "indirect" contributions would have a much greater effect on the waterways than the removal of the "direct" contributions.

As the "direct contributors" don't actually contribute enough to cover the maintenance of the bits they need perhaps they shouldn't crow too much.

The removal of the "indirect" contributions would have a much greater effect on the waterways than the removal of the "direct" contributions.

Ah, but aren't we direct contributors also indirect contributors as well ?

And your source for that is ??.........

There wouldn't be a huge point in lock-wheeling by push-bike, if you were limited to the same speed a boat travels, or you can walk!.......

Based on nothing more than assumption Alan. What is the limit then? Is there one? I also assume rightly or wrongly that lock-wheeling isn't part of the leisure activities that take place on the canals and rivers. If you run a business on the canals and have to travel as quickly and efficiently as possible then fair enough. But mainly speaking we are talking about leisure activities. Getting 'buzzed' by an idiot on a push bike doing in excess of a reasonably safe speed is not fun. My sister got so fed up with it happening to her that she won't walk along the River Lea where she lives.

Steve P

All of us walkers, cyclists and dog-exercisers who also own licensed boats, contribute directly for a start.

Oh, and given that much of the money still comes from the government, and boat licensing and mooring is only a minor part (but of course significant part) of CaRT revenues, then any of us who actually pay tax, are contributing too. OK, not directly, in the latter case, but we are paying, so it is not unreasonable to have access to something we are paying for, is it ?

ssscruddy sorry but what a load of BS. But a good laugh, next time you decide to post something like this just try and make it more believable ie

Anyone who can count 734 passing cars in a 3 mile journey (an approximate rate of one per second) is probably not giving his full attention to the job in hand (personal survival). Or, more likely, has an over-active imagination.

As far as I know the speed limit on the towpath is the same as the on the water.

Steve P.

The Sustrans (Sustrans provides creative, innovative and practical solutions to the transport challenges affecting us all. By working with communities, local authorities and many other organisations, we create change by putting people at the heart of activities, enabling many more people to travel in ways that benefit their health and the environment) guide to part of the Grand Union (Bletchley to Leighton Buzzard) is here

In short it is:

•  
  • Careful cyclists are welcome to use the canal towpath
  • Speed limit 10mph
  • Please be alert to the needs of others
  • Dismount if the towpath is busy with anglers or walkers and warn them politely of your approach
  • Please dismount at narrow bridge holes
  • Motorbikes are not permitted
  • Horses only with the permission of British Waterways (well CaRT now)

Regrettably having looked at a number of Sustrans Cycle Guides along towpaths not all have a speed limit advised and in fact some guides give no advice about speed at all. Perhaps this is something CaRT could request Sustrans include in their guides as they are reprinted. Standardisation of advice to cyclists through these BW (CaRT) / Sustrans guides should be the order of the day and not different for each navigation.

I like the National Trust approach - towpaths were designed for horses and they will stay that way - it makes cyclists travel very slowly along the Wey!

•  
  • Careful cyclists are welcome to use the canal towpath
  • Speed limit 10mph
  • Please be alert to the needs of others
  • Dismount if the towpath is busy with anglers or walkers and warn them politely of your approach
  • Please dismount at narrow bridge holes
  • Motorbikes are not permitted
  • Horses only with the permission of British Waterways (well CaRT now)

The problem with that list is that it contains a lot of hot air that probably sounded good in the committee meeting that fostered it, but it doesn't actually translate into anything real.

Careful cyclists are welcome to use the canal towpath? Isn't that a subjective opinion? Are we proposing to ban un-careful cyclists, and if so, what are the criteria? If not, what is the purpose of this sentence?

Please be alert to the needs of others? Anyone who doesn't do that ordinarily is hardly going to start just because they've seen a sign.

Speed limit of 10mph? Oooh, I'll just check the speedo on my bike to see how fast I'm going. Gosh darn it, it's a perfectly normal bike and IT DOESN'T HAVE ONE. This is probably 10mph. Wheeeeee!

Please dismount at narrow bridge holes? How narrow? Am I OK at wide ones? Where's the cut-off point?

Ah, but aren't we direct contributors also indirect contributors as well ?

Or you could just look at the actual numbers. 2011-2012 BW Annual Report says £17.4m boat licence income, £57.7m Government grants. There are 35,000 boat licence holders. To cover the cost of the indirect contributions the boat licence would need to rise from an average £497 to an average £2,146.

So to answer your question: no, not much.

Or you could just look at the actual numbers. 2011-2012 BW Annual Report says £17.4m boat licence income, £57.7m Government grants. There are 35,000 boat licence holders. To cover the cost of the indirect contributions the boat licence would need to rise from an average £497 to an average £2,146.

So to answer your question: no, not much.

Or to look at it another way - everyone in the country pays in the region of £1 per annum except licence holders who pay considerably more (49700% more using your figures)... proving that there are lies, damned lies and statistics :cheers:

Or to look at it another way - everyone in the country pays in the region of £1 per annum except licence holders who pay considerably more (49700% more using your figures)... proving that there are lies, damned lies and statistics :cheers:

Isn't that a fair split, considering the huge difference in requirements?

Indirect contributors could manage without the boaters' direct contribution and still enjoy the canals but boaters would be pretty stuck without the indirect contributions.